PAV Adventure 4x4 Build

I was unsure about the color when I ordered it......had never seen one before. The sales guy actually discouraged the Pebble Grey. I liked the look of the darker colors but did not want the heat absorption in the sun.

Now that I have it......I really like it. Its the best color!!!!!

Let me see if I have more pictures to share.
Thanks! That would be awesome. I really like Graphite Grey but also don't want the heat absorption. Was curious if after sometime the color got old. Glad you're still stoked on it!

raisin

For my install, I disconnected the tweeters and voice coil. I connected the crossover to the door wires then ran a wire back to the tweeter in the dash. See diagram and picture.
i just found your interesting writeup thanks. this is a pretty big spacial gap between the woofs and tweets. i was planning on putting 2 way components in doors near factory location and then putter super tweets f> 10k hz in the dash to lift the sound stage

thoughtgs?

ddunaway

i just found your interesting writeup thanks. this is a pretty big spacial gap between the woofs and tweets. i was planning on putting 2 way components in doors near factory location and then putter super tweets f> 10k hz in the dash to lift the sound stage

thoughtgs?
After experiencing the sound system for several months with the new speakers, I find that the only thing it lacks for me is bass.

I ran 4 wires from the disconnected voice coil to the back of the van. After I settle on the interior layout I plan to add a subwoofer with its own amp. The amp would possibly run straight off the high level outputs or I could add something to covert back to low level.

sprinterryan5

ddunaway,

Good looking build out. I'm also out of Seattle with a 3500 4x4. Curious to where you bought your MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl?) and other closed cell foams? I'm about ready to install wall and ceiling panels that I have made.

I cut out my own floor from 3/4" ply with some reflective insulation underneath but now that I see how much you have put underneath your floor, I am tempted to do the same and reinstall my stock floor. I am 6' 2" and like you am interested in a low profile floor.

Thanks!

ddunaway

ddunaway,

Curious to where you bought your MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl?) and other closed cell foams?

I cut out my own floor from 3/4" ply with some reflective insulation underneath but now that I see how much you have put underneath your floor, I am tempted to do the same and reinstall my stock floor. I am 6' 2" and like you am interested in a low profile floor.

Thanks!
Sprinterryan5,

The foam is from here....

http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam-2lb.html

It was softer than I expected but with full coverage I think it is fine. Took about 2 weeks to get.

Inertiaman picked up the MLV in Portland. I'll ask or maybe he'll chime in on the establishment.

I am 6'1" and still have ~2" above the head after the floor project. Seems like you might have room...

It seems quieter. I took some noise measurements before and w/o floor on a specific road at a certain speed........will post data when I can follow up with the final measurement after floor insulation and sound deadening.

ddunaway

On to the bed now

I need to turn it into a real camper van now! The plan is to build something very simple to test out functionality. I am telling myself it is a prototype to move a little quicker...may only last a while. There will be a good bit of L-track and removability. Until this point I have avoided using wood on visible surfaces....been unsure if I want the wood look. It is a little less OEM/professional and more warm and homey. I am a lot faster with wood construction though, so will build these test structures with these methods for now. The prefinished birch bed pieces do contrast nicely with the tan though, so maybe I'll like it.

Attachments

CheckMax

A battery next to the D2 under the passenger seat

Took another day but the battery is secure next to the heater. No more room in there now....
DD
Excellent write-up. Very helpful and gave me many ideas. You mentioned two batteries. Do you still have two or did you go with just one under the seat? If two, where is the second?

Have you had any system issues when the switch connects all batteries? You made the comment that you can charge your OEM house battery (I have the same) with the solar. I would think that would interfere with the electronics, adding charge to the system?

sprinterryan5

DD,

Another question since you're on a roll... Where did you purchase your extra fuse bar from? I'd love you add a 3rd row in the access door.

Thanks!

ddunaway

DD,

Another question since you're on a roll... Where did you purchase your extra fuse bar from? I'd love you add a 3rd row in the access door.

Thanks!
It is two of these side by side....

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATC®-&-ATO®-Fuse-Block-!-6!way-Ganged/p_10960

They are attached to a black plastic plate, then there are two spacers between the black plate and the metal of the seat to get the fuses at the right position. Wish I had a picture to share of that....very custom.

I tried to buy the MB fuse bars but after the first order it became apparent that there are many pieces and the service personnel could not identify them all, so it would have been a long iterative process,

Last edited:

ddunaway

DD
Excellent write-up. Very helpful and gave me many ideas. You mentioned two batteries. Do you still have two or did you go with just one under the seat? If two, where is the second?

Have you had any system issues when the switch connects all batteries? You made the comment that you can charge your OEM house battery (I have the same) with the solar. I would think that would interfere with the electronics, adding charge to the system?
The second battery location will be finalized after the bed. Most likely I will put it in front of the drivers side wheel well to put some weight in back.

Thus far I have not connected all the batteries. It is an option that I may not use. I have been waiting for the second battery to start using the Fullriver group 31s.
Mostly my solar charger has been connected to the OEM aux battery, which is isolated from the main battery via the ACR, so it should be fine for electronics.

tucson_jeff

Just wanted to chime in that I really like the Pebble Grey too, in daylight it's a nice light tan color that hides dust well. The only time it looks grey to me is under fluorescent lights in the garage.

ddunaway

Noise data in various floor configurations

I made some very minor attempts to quantify the noise before and after my floor insulation/sound deadening project (1/4 Closed cell foam, 1LB MLV, 1/4 Closed cell foam). Basically, I used an APP on the iPhone to measure the decibel levels on a specific road at 30 mph. The phone sat in the passenger seat and I noted the range of the noise levels over a period of time....there was a lot of variation in the measurement and it was somewhat subjective.

No floor 85.5+/-2.5 dB
Floor with foam and MLV 79.3 +/- 2.3 dB
OEM floor before 78.5 +/-1.5 dB
Idling the engine 65+/-1 dB

Basically, the data says there was no change in the noise level. It seems quieter to me but I cannot trust my judgement. Maybe it is better at higher speeds. I'll leave the MLV in but I would probably not recommend going to the effort for others.

The floor should be much better insulated now though...ready from winter!

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Noise from/through the floor is difficult to reduce due to all the bolted connections. A throw rug and some gear on top will help. You may be getting some noise though the bottom of the passenger seat and pedestal. Maybe try some Thinsulate(TM) in there but keep it well away from your heater. I placed some Thinsulate around the chassis battery which seems to help. Up along the inside of the firewall and behind the kick panels where you can reach also made a difference.

Great build and attention to details.
Time to start the snow dance!

Last edited:

Top Bottom