PAV Adventure 4x4 Build

ddunaway

Those Anderson connectors look like a good option. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the tip Hien and Ranchworld.

The new 30Amp dimmer seems to work fine. It will empty the full tank and not burn out.

Dzler

Overall though the heater does not really get hot. I had run it (and felt it) many times before I decided to put the battery right next to it.
I’m interested in the opposite, looking to ADD a little heat to a lithium during subzero operation.Do you think the D2 radiates enough heat in the driver seat pedestal such as it would add ANY heat to battery mounted next to it?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The pedestal in my van gets to over 100F with extended D2 operation in mild weather. In sub zero weather it still gets to the 70s. This is with some insulation on the outlet duct. Remember, the housing and ducts will get to over 200F when the heater is running. Which may be too warm. Best to do some testing before you commit to putting a battery there.

erik.wahlstrom

I very interested in doing the same with the factory AUX batter under the passenger seat do you have any more pics or measurements?
Moving heater over to make room for Group 31 battery under the passenger seat

When I initially installed the heater, I mounted it on the only flat spot underneath the passenger seat. I later realized that I could easily fit a battery too if the heater was mounted further over, and that it would be easy to do by installing a mounting plate to make the bottom flat. The 304 SS mounting plate was coated with Permatex and screwed in. As far as things go pretty straightforward ~2 hrs start to finish.

Dzler

The pedestal in my van gets to over 100F with extended D2 operation in mild weather. In sub zero weather it still gets to the 70s. This is with some insulation on the outlet duct. Remember, the housing and ducts will get to over 200F when the heater is running. Which may be too warm. Best to do some testing before you commit to putting a battery there.
Excellent data.

The lithium cannot take a charge below 32F (but can be discharged down to -4F) so the idea in single digit and lower temps was to start the D2 (as well as engine preheater) a sufficient amount of time beforehand. By the time of engine start, hopefully the lithium has gotten close to 32F and is ready to accept a charge from DC2DC charger. I’ll need to test it to see if it gets too hot in there.

ddunaway

I’m interested in the opposite, looking to ADD a little heat to a lithium during subzero operation.Do you think the D2 radiates enough heat in the driver seat pedestal such as it would add ANY heat to battery mounted next to it?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been a bit distracted.

I think the heat you will get just from having the heater there will be minor. It is really just the output duct that heats up in my experience. The output heat is ~175 degrees F when I tested it. The plastic case was not never noticeably hot when I touched it. These are all things I noticed when the seat was off and the heater was running. The way my heater is set up the intake for the heated air comes in through opening around the foam cover on top as well as through vents in the hatch on the side that I got from Hein. That is a substantial amount of air flow.

Midwest drifter seems to have some data from running the heater for long periods with the seat on. Perhaps it does warm up in that case. It may depend some on your air intake details. In any case, some heating would be good for a lithium battery in the seat base next to the heater because you really only run the heater when it is cold.

I have thought about using part of the D2 heat to warm the batteries if I eventually put a Lithium battery there. The idea would be to divert part of the heat output back into the seat base if the batteries ever got too cold. It might be tricky to control. It would be a very empirical thing to get it right and you would want to monitor the battery temp.

I do think that you could fit 200 Ahr of lithium in the short base (along with the D2) if you built your own bank......or one 100Ahr battleborn.

Last edited:

ddunaway

I very interested in doing the same with the factory AUX batter under the passenger seat do you have any more pics or measurements?
I do not think I have any more measurements or pictures at this moment. I can tell you I also looked at getting a 2nd Mercedes Aux battery (I have the aux battery package under the hood) to put in the seat base instead of the group 31. It would have fit but in the end I wanted real deep cycle batteries instead of dual use.

Top Bottom