A convertible Sprinter

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Wow pfflyer, this is great, well done! I'm surprised I never came across this one...

I also have a setup that allows me to convert from cargo to camper van. I did this partially because I was unsure about my design layout, and didn't want to commit to anything until I had tried out a few iterations. Essentially, I have a long bench on the driver side, and a long, floor to ceiling cabinet on the passenger side. I have a queen mattress that fits in when the back of the bench is hung between the two units. All behind the slider doors. They are constructed with plywood and furring strips, and don't weigh much, so I can unload or load them one at a time by myself. Both are held down with ratchet straps (connected to the factory cargo d-rings) that aren't even visible when installed. It has been incredibly convenient, especially for the times where I really needed cargo space to move some big things.

A few months ago my girlfriend rear-ended somebody on the freeway, and the van was in the shop for a while. I was relieved that no one was hurt, and was also happy to note that the cabinets didn't even shift a quarter inch. But it left me feeling a bit disconcerted about the safety of this setup. I know these ratchet straps are tough, but it sure would be terrible if there was a head-on collision, and the cabinets came slamming down from the back, hitting the driver or passenger from behind. Also, I'm starting to load the cabinet up with more and more things, getting ready to install refrigeration, etc.

I'm planning some new cabinets, with the front ends reinforced with a steel frame (made of square or rectangular tubing) that would bolt into multiple threaded inserts in the van walls. Anyhow, its easy to talk about, but the devil is in the details...

I was happy to come across your build. Inspiring to see.

K

MochaVan

Hi Pfflyer,

Your conversion ideas are great!
I am going to adopt many of them in my 2016 1700WB passenger van to be delivered in Mar 2016.
I noted that you have swivel seat base installed for both driver and passenger.
Where did you buy it? Were they difficult to install?

Thanks,

MochaVan

pfflyer

Thanks for the compliment. I bought the swivels from Eurocampers.com http://www.eurocampers.com/2001--2015-Sprinter-Seat-Swivel-Adapters_c_41.html

They were easy to install but I did have to enlarge one or two holes so that they line up. You will need a etorx socket (not sure of the size) to remove the 4 bolts on the seat, un-clip the wire for the seatbelt sensor and butt warmers if you have that option, set the seat aside and install the base with the 4 allen head bolts that come with the swivels, re-connect the seat belt sensor and re-install the seat. The seat can be awkward and heavy to handle and swivel bases are just heavy. The directions above will leave the seat belts attached to the seats so there is only so far you can set them. It sounds like you are getting a passenger van so you can either remove the first bench seat for more room, remove the seatbelt from the seat (I think it is just one Allen head bolt that attaches it to the seat) or I set mine on some plywood on the ground right outside the door. Good luck with your build and I would love to see what you end up with.

pfflyer

The idea to use prebuilt off the shelf tool chests/cabinets is brilliant. I am going to steal that one!
Thanks. It is a lot lighter to lift in and out of the van than one I would have built with plywood. I tried to add full extension slides to the Gladiator 3 drawer cabinet but it didn't work. The slides I bought require 1/2" each side but the drawer leaves a little less than that per side. Drawer with new slide does slide in and out but with a lot of effort. Even though this resistance would probably eliminate the need to secure the drawers while driving it just wasn't right otherwise.

Lowkeyfilms

Great build!, it's nice to see those cabinets in a truck and I think I will look at E and L track for my uppers.

Thanks, I will definitely be using some stuff for reference shortly.

Reysfaust

I've owned a few RVs & towables (Airstreams) over the years. I have never enjoyed those years as much as I do onmy 2016 144" Passenger. We decided to buy one when our son got married in 2017, for the sole purpose of driving around 9 relatives from Sydney Australia who were also visiting for 3 weeks. The Convertible idea came after everyone left. I ended up removing two rows of seats to have room for bed, galley kitchen & emergency potty. RTA light metal & alum cabinets were used, no carpentry, no holes drilled to the van. The whole idea revolves around the possibility of reinstalling the seats if needed. The conversion is a work in progress, my passion for DIY made me resourceful & courageous to cut, bend & weld squar tube for sliding folding bed. I just finished the DIY Roof rack. Seeing this bench seat cut-off makes me feel like forgetting about the full 4th row, maybe getting rid of all the seats, but two.
Btw, the Airstream sat unused for over a year in the garage.... sold the Ford F250 tow truck recently. Airstream is probably going to go as well.

pfflyer

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. The convertible concept worked for us for almost 2 years.

spator

Reysfaust. I am waiting for our 2020 stone gray 144' 4x4 passenger. It should be here in two weeks. I have the same idea. I want to be able to put the seat back if I need to. We were planning on leaving the back seat in because it has 4 seat belts and someone could use it for a bed, add a small passenger side galley maybe Trail Kitchen and add a bed over the back seat that can be folded back or raised like the Moab, we will add an emergency potty probably a dry flush, a roof rack, maybe solar and the new Bluetti that will be out in November. Ours is also replacing a Ford F250

Top Bottom