Rear view mirror for Sprinter 3500?

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
When we bought our '12 MB it had no rear view mirror and no mount on the windshield - though the window had black crosshatching at the top center where a mirror would go. I assume this is normal for MB's, since there's only the tiny rear window over the bathroom sink. But that windshield took a rock, got a big crack and got replaced by a windshield with the black crosshatched area and a small black plastic mirror mount.

I'd love to have a mirror - I'd be able to see a bit out the little window, and I'd see what's going on in the RV (like: is Jean moving and not holding on as I come into that big right turn - or did the cheesy snap on the bathroom door come loose and let the door slide closed AGAIN <g>...).

When I took a quick look online I found a hundred mirrors that provided back-up cameras (already got one) and built-in bluetooth sound (already got it), etc. - but not just a rear-view mirror. Has anybody done this? I have no idea if the mount is specific to Sprinters but I assume it is, so I'm sure there's something I need to know and don't.

Peter Tourin

Yes, I thought I'd find one by searching eBay as a starting point - but all I found was the LED/camera ones. No big hurry - I'll find one sooner or later.

Kozad

Peter

The glass shop used to replace the windshield may be of some help. Usually the replacement windshields do not come with the rear view mirror mount; they are usually glued on at time of install and they are usually a univeral sized mount :thinking:

We use our interior rear view mirror all the time, as you said to see what is happening in the coach as well as to see out that great rear bathroom window.

I installed a clip on convex mirror, which goes over the existing rear view mirror, providing a wide angle view of the entire coach!

Attachments

sailquik

Peter,
The option code for the rear view mirror is F61 (I found it on your Sprinter Rv's data card, so not sure why you didn't
have a mirror originally).
The MOPAR Part number for the interior rear view mirror is: 68061492AA.
Cost is around $40 from the MOPAR Discount Parts stores online.
The Mercedes Benz Part Number is: A 639 810 0517
A search on "Rear View Mirror Part Number" will take you to this discussion:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30723
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I removed mine since it was pretty much useless and used the shaded area to put a Garmin 7" GPS up there instead. Very easy to read with the blacked out area. I have a 12V outlet above the visor shelf with a shaved corner of the shelf that lets me run a short charging wire. Some suction mounts work better than others on the black shaded area since it is not as smooth as clear glass.

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
We have the rear view mirror on our 2014 MB with the rear bathroom window. It's part of my side to side scan of the side mirrors. It does give me a feel for what traffic is following.

The add-on mirrors are generic, and just about the same as a basic factory mirror. They come with the glue-on plate that the mirror slides onto. Any auto parts store, Walmart, etc should have them. They run around $12.

Joe
2014 Unity MB

JoePhoenix

2016 Unity TB
When I bought my Bus, the mirror was an optional item, which also included an outdoor temp gauge. I didn't think I'd ever use it, so I didn't get it. Now I get it! :lol: I wish I'd gotten it to be able to see what's going on back in the coach as we're going down the road, just as Peter said.

So I look forward to having it, BUT Alan's idea of putting the GPS up there might be another thing for me to think about.

Joe

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
So I look forward to having it, BUT Al's idea of putting the GPS up there might be another thing for me to think about.
Now if that GPS could also display your rear view camera system up in that location would be my idea of a wonderful solution. In the wrong sunlight angles it can be hard to view the screen in the dashboard location.

Jeff Treiber

2015 Unity TB
I made a list of the height, width, weight, and tank volumes and clear taped it on to the existing mirror in our 2015 TB. It was a distraction, but now it's a big help - especially when I try not to overflow the diesel!

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
When we bought our '12 MB it had no rear view mirror and no mount on the windshield - though the window had black crosshatching at the top center where a mirror would go. I assume this is normal for MB's, since there's only the tiny rear window over the bathroom sink. But that windshield took a rock, got a big crack and got replaced by a windshield with the black crosshatched area and a small black plastic mirror mount.

I'd love to have a mirror - I'd be able to see a bit out the little window, and I'd see what's going on in the RV (like: is Jean moving and not holding on as I come into that big right turn - or did the cheesy snap on the bathroom door come loose and let the door slide closed AGAIN <g>...).

When I took a quick look online I found a hundred mirrors that provided back-up cameras (already got one) and built-in bluetooth sound (already got it), etc. - but not just a rear-view mirror. Has anybody done this? I have no idea if the mount is specific to Sprinters but I assume it is, so I'm sure there's something I need to know and don't.
I suggest you go line for junkyard parts and I,m sure you will find a lot of them from FedEx vans that have been junked.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Mine did not come with a mirror, nor a mirror mount, but my previous Sprinter RV had one and I was used to it. Yes it is hard to see out the back, so I got one of those plastic fresnel lenses and put it in the window. It gives me a wide angle view of what's behind, so I don't back into shoppers. It really helps as otherwise I am only going to see whats in the lane next to me, not directly behind me with the window off to one side.

The mirror I used was just a $12 Grand Auto mirror. It came with a mount, the old mount snapped off easily. That mirror glue is tough, but it shatters easily. Then a razor scraper to get the residue off. My old mount was one I first installed myself as my glass was virgin when I got it.

I have since found a mirror overlay, it's another mirror, like those ones with the rear view monitor in a half silvered display, like my last RV had. The one I got has LEDs in it and an alert to chime when I am backing into something. I am thinking of wiring two in the bumper and two at the roofline as it is too easy to back into poles and buildings where your bumper is no where near hitting.

-Randy

Peter Tourin

Hey Randy, could you provide a few links? I still haven't done anything, and this sounds interesting.

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
This forum is old but adding to it for the next guy.

JUNKYARD
- About $40cad
- I check my local junkyard and they quoted me $40cad for the mirror.

ROCK AUTO
- About $20cad plus shipping
- Found in the "Inside Rear View Mirror" section. Parts bar found the Section. ( 2nd bar is the parts search, 1st bar is the vehicle search)
- https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/interior,mirror,inside+rear+view+mirror,1076

I'll probably add another post if Idecided to buy a backup camera on the rear view mirror. Which is why I found this info.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I once ordered a cheap mirror, supposed direct replacement for my van.
It was a stick on the broken pieces type with a half inch gap all round.
So cheap, I threw it away.

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
My 2018 came with a mirror but there is no back window so the only thing it was good for was watching the pantry door flying out when the latch would give way. I finally fixed the pantry and got display monitor for the rear camera that looks down the road https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...mirror-monitor-no-multiplexer-rvs-619-nm.html

The link is for a mirror replacement. It is the same monitor I have but mine just clamps over the existing mirror. I couldn't find the clamp on one on their website so they may no longer sell it.

I have two rear cameras. The LTV one comes up on my Alpine head unit when I put the coach in reverse. I have it aimed at the tow bar and tow car. The monitor on the rearview mirror turns on when I start the rig and stays on while driving. It is hooked to a camera pointed down the road so I can use it like a rearview mirror.

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
Thanks for sharing JHMooney.

I actually bought this soon after my last post. It seems to have very good reviews.

It comes with
- front and back cameras (the Front is 4k back , back is 1080p If i remember correctly)
- A 10" screen that attaches to your rearview mirror.
- night vision
- It also records when you are driving in case there is some accident you can bring it to court to help your case.
- GPS to show your speed for court as well.
- A bump sensor that if the vehicle is bumped at night starts to record to hopefully catch the thief in action.

Hope that helps someone. Cheers

Top Bottom