Your opinion, please.

RidesWithDogs

We are currently looking at the Winnebago View and the Coachmen Prism and want to buy in the next month or so.

As always, each has features we prefer that the other doesn't have.

Can anyone provide some insight into the Prism that may help us decide? I greatly appreciate info that you have gleaned from your experiences!

Thanks in advance!

RestlessPrism

Just purchased our Prislm 3 Weeks ago, and did a lot of research. Went with the 2150, as we want the additional storage / sleeping of the loft. We had an old Itasca for 11 years some time ago, and the Prism had all of the things that we thought most important (besides the MAJOR advantage of the MB chassis). Ours was a packaged vehicle for the RV shows, and I think the $80K was around $20K below the best competition. The reality is that this is still a vehicle for a single couple for any long trips, but great for families that don't mind a little loss of privacy at night. We bring our own bedroom/bathroom with us when we visit friends out of town, which makes us a lot more welcome to small houses.
Added a second battery last week, as we plan on a lot of "dry camping", and I worry about enough reserve power to start the generator if the furnace is running all night. Already have put 1,200 Miles on it, looking for anything that needs adjustment of correction. I have plans on a DVD Operators Manual, as there isn't anything current on the Coachmen website that reflects the actual configuration or equipment. Both of our grown sons will be using in the future, and not having to guess on the mechanical or electrical items will make life a lot easier for them and for me.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Step 1 for dry campers is to learn to minimize power consumption. For cool nights we just throw on a lot of blankets, turn the furnace down as low as it can go, or off entirely, and just crank up the heat in the morning just before we get up!!

You probably already have LED lights, if not, look at switching all your bulbs over to LED that saves a lot of power in spring and fall when you need light in the evening.

If you do run your coach (house) batteries down, you still have the chassis battery untouched to start the vehicle engine, run that for 10 minutes, then the coach will have enough power to start the genset, and shut down the vehicle once the genny is running.

We have a 2008 Navion J, very much like yours just older, and we love it for being able to pull up at a rest-stop or campsite, put the slide out, and in 10 minutes or less, we can be sitting down relaxing enjoying the view, or lunch or whatever. These are ideal for short-stay campers who want to see a lot of different places in their lifetime.

RidesWithDogs

RestlessPrism,

What is the 2150? I only see them listed as G, J, V, and OLE. I'm happy you are enjoying your Prism. Have you had any problems?

sailquik

RestlessPrism,
The DVD may cover the RV up fitters systems.
If you don't already have the Mercedes Benz/Freightliner manuals (which badging is on your Prism?) you can
download all the manuals as .PDF files (makes searching for a specific topic much easier...just do a Ctrl F (for Find) and
the entire manual is searchable).
Here's the Mercedes Benz link:
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/owners/manuals
Here's the Freightliner link:
http://www.freightlinersprinterusa.com/owners/manuals
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. These manuals go back several years, so those without manuals in the clear packet in the glove box, or those who
prefer searchable laptop files with older Sprinters and Sprinter RV's can simply download them.
I believe I've even seen some for the Pre-MB Dodge Sprinters.
Hope this helps,
Roger

RestlessPrism

Love the Prism 2150LE, which is on the MB chassis. The shower is actually large enough to use! Waiting for trips in Oregon to begin in June.

ttccoach

Recently picked up our 2016 Prism 2150LE 3 weeks ago, in Las Vegas (Wagon Trail) , now has 3,300 mi. 3.0, V-6 getting 12-13 mpg so far, hoping for more like 15-16 as it gets broken in...like our 2007 Navion got ! In 108 deg. heat the A/c worked to keep up, but the fridge was very adequate, not usually the case in over 100 deg. camping. No engine or chassis issues, but have a slight intermittent issue with the hot water heater, prematurely shuts down before water is up to temp, then re-ignites, shuts down after 10-15 seconds, then will try again...after all that I shut it down. Worked fine next day, then same issue the following day....maybe I'll read the manual and see if that problem is addressed.
This coach has lots of extra storage in back compartments , and over the cab, that's why we got it...bathroom door is kinda narrow, works best when the slide is out. Ours has the sofa option rather than dinette, got some collapsible ottomans to put our feet on, we set up the tables as needed..
One issue common to most coaches built on the Mercedes Sprinter is the body roll going over drainage, driveways, around sharp corners, so looking into the best "anti-roll" product... I have read about Super Springs "sumo springs"...are they worth it? Anything else on the market?

Last edited:

Top Bottom