Biodiesel

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
Avanti, weren't you the one who said you would never buy another Sprinter?
No, I'm not. What I said was that I would never buy another DIESEL Sprinter. I have great faith in the robustness of the basic Sprinter engine. It is the diesel emissions junk that is unacceptable.
Unfortunately, more frequent oil changes will do nothing to make them work better. If it did, I'd be all over it.
Again, I'm doing what I feel is prudent and reasonable. Others can do the same.
I fully support you doing what you think best.

I repeat, though: I am only asking about the changes to which you alluded in MB's published recommendations. I ask because following the OEMs recommendations is what I consider prudent and reasonable. My query was sincere. Why was it unreasonable?

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Avanti, does your 2014 I-4 have the same finicky fuel requirements and emissions equipment / program as the Diesel Bluetec MB V-6?Does it inject DEFS? How many miles do you have on your van? Maybe everyone needs to read the opening post. New owners beware! Make wise choices for your Sprinter. Last time I asked, it was about 70K & 8 weeks for an engine replacement. Frequent, long term use of B-20 in a current MB Bluetec V-6 may cost you $$$. I figure a 2017 Unity with a bad engine is worth about $2 a pound. There are two camps on this subject. I am in the camp that travels in the right lane of the interstate and follows MB's maintenance schedules, recommendations, and the GVWR for my Sprinter.

Last edited:

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Avanti, does your 2014 I-4 have the same finicky fuel requirements and emissions equipment / program as the Diesel Bluetec MB V-6?Does it inject DEFS? How many miles do you have on your van? Maybe everyone needs to read the opening post. New owners beware! Make wise choices for your Sprinter. Last time I asked, it was about 70K & 8 weeks for an engine replacement. Frequent, long term use of B-20 in a current MB Bluetec V-6 may cost you $$$. I figure a 2017 Unity with a bad engine is worth about $2 a pound. There are two camps on this subject. I am in the camp that travels in the right lane of the interstate and follows MB's maintenance schedules, recommendations, and the GVWR for my Sprinter.
I'm with you. I search out No 2 Diesel and worst case I'll use B5 Bio. I travel between 60 & 65 and have the van serviced annually. (Closer to 10k miles than 20k). I also never hand a credit card to a gas station employee. If I can't pay at the pump, I'll find another station.

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
Yes, sadly my vehicle has all that crap, and I have had my share of spoiled trips as a result. That is why I will never buy another diesel.

I hope no one thinks that I advocate not worrying about B-20. I go out of my way to avoid it. I just don't lose sleep when I am forced to use it occasionally--just like the brochure says.

Your last sentence above captures my opinion perfectly.

Jan M

An update on HVO100:

We have run our 2004 T1N 316CDI on HVO100 throughout our vacation, a 4000km trip. Engine runs very smooth and I believe it is quieter at idle. A side benefit is that the usual stinky diesel exhaust is almost gone - no more complaints at camping areas when moving around or running the Espar heaters.

MNBrad

Thanks for the update Jan.
Unfortunately, I don't think HVO100 is available in the US, though I've heard Shell is actually starting to.
If anyone else knows of how to get it, I would love to hear.
I live in MN, and all diesel is B20 in the summer which is fine. I'd love to use B100 but I'd be afraid to right now. HVO100 is safe, but not available that I'm aware.

Randyxl

After careful thought i really like the Unity line i have done lots of research and now have a chance to take the plunge however one issue remains the future of biodiesel <5

Since 2009, the state has required the use of a 2% biodiesel blend in all state-owned diesel-powered cars, and B20 biodiesel has become the rule, not the exception, at pumps around the state.
Illinois, incidentally, is not alone in its use of biodiesel fuel. Other states that require a biodiesel blend include Alabama (5%), Colorado (20%), Florida (not specified), Kansas (2%), Kentucky (2%), Maryland (5%), Massachusetts (15%), Minnesota (B20 to B100), Missouri (B20), Nebraska (not specified), New Mexico (5%), New York (not specified), Ohio (not specified), South Carolina (5%), Virginia (2%), and Washington (not specified).

A statement in a Mercedes-Benz Biodiesel Information publication makes the automaker’s position crystal clear: “Diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (e.g. B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100/100%) ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine/fuel system and are not approved.” In case there are any lingering doubts, one need only read the last page: “Any damages caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.”
In the case of Mercedes-Benz, their advanced BlueTEC diesel engines inject some fuel on the exhaust stroke, but since biodiesel has a higher flash point than petroleum diesel, the biodiesel does not combust allowing the biodiesel to collect inside the crankcase of the engine itself. This crankcase sludging is irreversible and over time can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

These symptoms are showing up around 100k + - as i live in Canada the biodiesel is not a issue however the states and mexico are. As time goes by is biodiesel <5 getting hard to find in the states or mexico?

Any feedback would be appreciated:idunno:
Thx Pat

Randyxl

After careful thought i really like the Unity line i have done lots of research and now have a chance to take the plunge however one issue remains the future of biodiesel <5

Since 2009, the state has required the use of a 2% biodiesel blend in all state-owned diesel-powered cars, and B20 biodiesel has become the rule, not the exception, at pumps around the state.
Illinois, incidentally, is not alone in its use of biodiesel fuel. Other states that require a biodiesel blend include Alabama (5%), Colorado (20%), Florida (not specified), Kansas (2%), Kentucky (2%), Maryland (5%), Massachusetts (15%), Minnesota (B20 to B100), Missouri (B20), Nebraska (not specified), New Mexico (5%), New York (not specified), Ohio (not specified), South Carolina (5%), Virginia (2%), and Washington (not specified).

A statement in a Mercedes-Benz Biodiesel Information publication makes the automaker’s position crystal clear: “Diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (e.g. B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100/100%) ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine/fuel system and are not approved.” In case there are any lingering doubts, one need only read the last page: “Any damages caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.”
In the case of Mercedes-Benz, their advanced BlueTEC diesel engines inject some fuel on the exhaust stroke, but since biodiesel has a higher flash point than petroleum diesel, the biodiesel does not combust allowing the biodiesel to collect inside the crankcase of the engine itself. This crankcase sludging is irreversible and over time can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

These symptoms are showing up around 100k + - as i live in Canada the biodiesel is not a issue however the states and mexico are. As time goes by is biodiesel <5 getting hard to find in the states or mexico?

Any feedback would be appreciated:idunno:
Thx Pat
Is Biodiesel-20 at one gas station the same as Biodiesel-20 at another? For people that know much more than me on this topic, are there different sources. Therefore do people recommend certain diesel stations regardless of price?

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
B20 only indicate that there is 20% in it, but there is no way you can find what material was used for making bio.
It can be make from vegetable oil, what is the best, or it can be pork lard, who has more solids and is worse in general.
I think I read somewhere that gas stations are mandated to make source and formula of fuel available to customers, but several reports indicate that station attendants have no clue about it.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Actually, it doesn't even mean that much. It means that it is >5% and <= 20%. So, two pumps [at different stations] with the same label could have rather different concentrations.
Pork lard...

It's highly unlikely commercial stations that Sprinter owners will run into would have pork lard in the general highway diesel fuel. The mandates for biodiesel are often related to crops and farmers. Pork lard or restaurant fryer diesel may be produced by small companies, but not by the large companies you find along the highway.

:2cents: vic

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
Than the old truth says that no matter what station you stop at in the area - all fuels come from the same refinery, who is the closest one.
So no matter "Shell" or " Joe the gasman" station- it will have the same fuel.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Biodiesel maybe the least of your problems owning a Sprinter. It may be the complex emissions system, all the bells, whistles, sensors, and the high cost of parts & labor. Have 10K set aside in the bank to keep it running past the MB warrantee.

RichF

It's my understanding from a good source that a B20 sticker means that there could be up to 20% bio in the fuel. Based on current soybean prices a 20% blend is probably not going to happen. No label on pump means less than 5% bio.
Right now Murphy Oil (Wall Mart) is not blending much if any bio.

Top Bottom