Sprinter 4x4 Wheels

RockyRaccoon777

2020 144" 4x4
I don’t think the Black Rhino ”Stadium” wheels have been posted in this thread before. I just installed a set, 16 x 8
with 38 offset, along with the Falken A/T3W tires, LT265/75-16. The wheels replaced the original black steel wheels and my two year old Goodyear Duratracs, LT235/85-16.

The center caps were custom, done by my shop which does lots of G Wagen business, and has accumulated quite a stock pile of MB parts. The wheels were already a very clean design, and the MB center caps are a nice added detail.

The Duratracs where very noisy, and have high hopes that the Falkens will be more tolerable. This wheel/tire combo was just installed yesterday, so no use yet other than the drive home.

View attachment 163703

View attachment 163704
Thanks for posting this up! I've been considering the Stadiums as well. Yours look quite DIFFERENT than the Stadiums that I'd been looking at... maybe it's a 16x8" vs. 17x8" size thing, but I wouldn't think so?? I was thinking that the spokes tapered in towards the axle not outward like yours appear to - reference the links and pic below. Any insight appreciated!

1614902232619.png

Takayama

Thanks for posting this up! I've been considering the Stadiums as well. Yours look quite DIFFERENT than the Stadiums that I'd been looking at... maybe it's a 16x8" vs. 17x8" size thing, but I wouldn't think so?? I was thinking that the spokes tapered in towards the axle not outward like yours appear to - reference the links and pic below. Any insight appreciated!

View attachment 173183
The 16” wheel I’ve seen in person. It definitely matches what was posted. The pics online do not match what I’ve seen in person. I was hoping for the same thing. I’m assuming it’s the sprinter offset and weight per axle

Attachments

RockyRaccoon777

2020 144" 4x4
The 16” wheel I’ve seen in person. It definitely matches what was posted. The pics online do not match what I’ve seen in person. I was hoping for the same thing. I’m assuming it’s the sprinter offset and weight per axle
Hmmm I'd guess that it's mostly the 38 positive offset vs. a zero (flat) or negative offset. Definitely need to pay attention to what pics you're looking at vs. the required offset for vehicle. The outward direction of the spokes on the "Sprinter Stadiums" look more like Black Rhino Havasu or Method 701s.

Do you know if all three of the pics that you posted are the same wheel size (16x8"?) and offset (38 or 45?)?

Thanks for the input it's helpful.

1614906970946.png

1614907954991.png

1614907968887.png

Last edited:
Figured I’d post these up to help aid in purchasing decisions for everyone.
All three are running 285/70 R17 tires.
Black 144: Black Rhino Arsenal wheels with Yokohama Geolander X-AT
White 144: Black Rhino Arsenal wheels with Goodyear Duratrac’s
Silver 170: Black Rhino Bandolier with Falken Wildpeak AT3’s

Attachments

Takayama

Hmmm I'd guess that it's mostly the 38 positive offset vs. a zero (flat) or negative offset. Definitely need to pay attention to what pics you're looking at vs. the required offset for vehicle. The outward direction of the spokes on the "Sprinter Stadiums" look more like Black Rhino Havasu or Method 701s.

Do you know if all three of the pics that you posted are the same wheel size (16x8"?) and offset (38 or 45?)?

Thanks for the input it's helpful.

View attachment 173192

View attachment 173194

View attachment 173195
I actually used to have Method 301s and was running TOYO RTs 285/70/17. The offset of the 301s was higher than my new BR Arsenals in 16"

My BR Arsenals are a 38 ET offset so they are a little more flush with the side of the van and my Terrawagen Fender Flares

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
NOTE Those 3 Sprinters with 285/70/17’s are all NCV3’s, right?
Last I heard, anything over 275/70/17 will throw off the VS30 adaptive cruise system.

matloik

Checking back in after 40K miles with BFG KO2 265/75R16 on stock rims. All good, no issues -- even though the stock rims are 6.5".

Went with BFG A/T T/A KO2 @ 265/75-16 on stock 16x6.5 wheels.

I'm gonna go with 17" wheels, probably the Black Rhino Warlords 17x8. Hey @Chad L. , how has this setup worked for you?

Checking back in after I received the Black Rhino Warlords today. Took them to the tire shop and had them mounted with BFG 275/70/17s. Mounted up really well with the exception that the wheel studs that carid.com sent with them were indeed the wrong size. After calling them three different times (before everything arrived and after the studs showed up) and them assuring me they were sending the correct lugs I still ended up with 45mm lengths. My local tire shop that I have done a ton of business with (Discount Tire) told me they had no idea why they would send that length. The correct length for these rims are as Monsterdood said, 35MM, the shop said 30/35MM would work. Luckily my tire guys had a set of what we needed on hand and were able to make everything work. Not sure why Black Rhino has such a disconnect but if you decide to run these rims you need to insist that they send the 14x1.5 with a 30-35mm stud length. At the end of the day they look pretty bad ass and have zero clearance issues. Van is starting to look a little less like a cargo van.

Edit* Per a couple requests here are the exact tire wheel and lug bolt specs.

Wheels are Black Rhino Warlords 17" X 8"
Lugs Bolts to mount correctly are GOR 14x1.5 BLTSTD 30mm CL ZN 5L From Discount tire these are hardware Lug Bolt Kit 17019SDZ-20D
Tires BFG All Terrain K02 size 275/70R17

Vehichle is a stock 2017 MB Sprinter cargo 4x4 144" wheel base.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Maybe I am missing something, but if you intend to so serious 4WD offroading, why would you want anything but steel wheels?
What you are missing is a Sprinter is not a Jeep, Toyota 4x4 or similar...and I don’t think many Sprinter owners are deluded enough to believe their 7000-9500lb Sprinter 4x4 conversion can do what the aforementioned “serious 4WD offroading“ vehicles can do.
We buy a Sprinter 4x4 to increase our chances that we can get to and from some off the pavement camp spots with fewer screaming kids or partying jkasses still playing freebird at 2am. Or, have a better equipped and safer vehicle for driving in snow, ski/snowboard trips etc... and still be able to stand upright in our vehicle, and be relatively comfortable and protected from the elements (or bears ?) if we want.
Some roll on factory steelies, some don’t. Some just want the bling factor. Whatever, all good.

PS I see plenty of “serious 4Wd offroading“ vehicles with alloy rims.

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

Show me a factory Rubicon Wrangler, TRD Pro Tacoma/4runner, Bronco WIldtrak, Range Rover Anything, with steel wheels. Next explain to me why these vehicles can get seriously off the beaten path with alloy wheels.

Ive been airborne in my 8500lb van on several occasions on 17" Method aluminum wheels. Been on 2 and 3 wheels enough to make my wife consider leaving me. For some reason they are still round a true??

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Do you know which offset those Bandolier's are? I'm looking at the 16x8 38mm offset with Toyo AT3's in 285/75/16

gemcoska

I run Method Standard 17x7.5 ET50 with 285/70r17's. your 8 inch wheel with higher offset puts you closer to the strut.
@OffroadHamster
I'm about 20 pages into this string and this seems to be the closest thing that I've found for my projected setup on a 2016 144 short roof 4x4 2500.

I'm looking at the Method 701 17x7.5 which have the exact same dimensions as the Method standards. I ordered the front fender kit from Agile to buy me a bit more room at the fender but am still concerned about the strut boot going from the stock 6.5 to the Method 7.5.

Tire wise, I was recommended the Goodyear wrangler duratrac by a bunch of jeep friends but I don't see those recommended anywhere here on the forum. Also they only seem to carry 285/70R/17 or 265/70R/17. I'm looking for 275/70R/17 as this was the largest tire that Agile recommended. The Falcon Wildpeak AT3/W seem to be the most recommended here on the forums and those seem to also have the same size restrictions for an E1 load rating.

285/70R/17 is a 32.7x11.2 tire which falls within your recommendation of less than 33x11.5 for use of medium snow chains.

So my question is will the 285/70R/17 Wildpeak with the Method 701 17x7.5 projected setup work, clear with no rubbing with any steering orientation and fit snow chains? Or do I need to go down to 265/70R/17? I tried to find your exact setup and have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks in advance.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
@OffroadHamster
I'm about 20 pages into this string and this seems to be the closest thing that I've found for my projected setup on a 2016 144 short roof 4x4 2500.

I'm looking at the Method 701 17x7.5 which have the exact same dimensions as the Method standards. I ordered the front fender kit from Agile to buy me a bit more room at the fender but am still concerned about the strut boot going from the stock 6.5 to the Method 7.5.

Tire wise, I was recommended the Goodyear wrangler duratrac by a bunch of jeep friends but I don't see those recommended anywhere here on the forum. Also they only seem to carry 285/70R/17 or 265/70R/17. I'm looking for 275/70R/17 as this was the largest tire that Agile recommended. The Falcon Wildpeak AT3/W seem to be the most recommended here on the forums and those seem to also have the same size restrictions for an E1 load rating.

285/70R/17 is a 32.7x11.2 tire which falls within your recommendation of less than 33x11.5 for use of medium snow chains.

So my question is will the 285/70R/17 Wildpeak with the Method 701 17x7.5 projected setup work, clear with no rubbing with any steering orientation and fit snow chains? Or do I need to go down to 265/70R/17? I tried to find your exact setup and have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks in advance.
My Method 17x7.5 wheels are 50mm offset compared to the factory alloy offset of 54mm. So I gained 4mm of clearance at the tire/strut/coil-over gap. I am running Faulken Wildpeak 255/80-17 (33.1x10.5). Best tire yet after previously running noisy and poor wearing KO2s and Cooper STMax. I am also running Agile coil-overs with 16mm spacers. 3/8+” clearance at strut/coil and 1/4+” clearance at tightest fender/tire contact with no Agile fender kit on my 2016/2017. Snow chains are not a problem on the rears.

5A272340-DD29-412E-8428-8233CB0621B7.jpeg

Last edited:

gemcoska

My Method 17x7.5 wheels are 50mm offset compared to the factory alloy offset of 54mm. So I gained 4mm of clearance at the tire/strut/coil-over gap. I am running Faulken Wildpeak 255/80-17 (33.1x10.5). Best tire yet after previously running noisy and poor wearing KO2s and Cooper STMax. I am also running Agile coil-over with 16mm spacers. 3/8” clearance at strut/coil and 1/4+” clearance at tightest fender/tire contact with no Agile fender kit on my 2016/2017. Snow chains are not a problem on the rears.
That's a badass pic!

So your 255/80R/17 is 33.1x10.5 with 50mm of offset. I'm 285/70R/17 at 32.7x11.2 with the same offset. So that means I'm (11.2-10.5)=0.7" wider than your setup, or 0.35" closer to the inner strut. I'm not sure that I can compare that increase directly to your 0.375" clearance at the strut or the 0.25" at the fender. I'm not sure how the change of the coil over affects that spacing either; however I don't really want to run spacers if possible.

I don't feel like I can draw enough of a conclusion here to say that my projected setup would work... do you agree?

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
That's a badass pic!

So your 255/80R/17 is 33.1x10.5 with 50mm of offset. I'm 285/70R/17 at 32.7x11.2 with the same offset. So that means I'm (11.2-10.5)=0.7" wider than your setup, or 0.35" closer to the inner strut. I'm not sure that I can compare that increase directly to your 0.375" clearance at the strut or the 0.25" at the fender. I'm not sure how the change of the coil over affects that spacing either; however I don't really want to run spacers if possible.

I don't feel like I can draw enough of a conclusion here to say that my projected setup would work... do you agree?
If your van is a 2019 or later you may have a problem running anything over 275/70/17s. The distronic system won’t work and you may have some clearance issues even with the fender kit.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
That's a badass pic!

Upon further review my Faulkens are 10” wide. If you are not running the Agile coil-over front suspension then you likely have more room between the strut/coil-over spring and the tire than I do. The 16mm wheel spacers are added to clear the coil-over spring. You should be able to measure your current clearance and determine if the wider tires will fit. The Methods with a 50 mm offset will give you some additional clearance at the strut but reduce clearance at the fender well during full lock turning.

916289EB-FA77-42EB-8547-BF4F7486EE26.jpeg

Last edited:

gemcoska

If your van is a 2019 or later you may have a problem running anything over 275/70/17s. The distronic system won’t work and you may have some clearance issues even with the fender kit.
The van is a 2016 so I don't have the adaptive cruise control. Is that the distronic system that you are referring to?

You can run a 275/70/17 or 275/75/16 without rub or spacer and a 285/70/17 or 285/70/16 without a spacer but with some resolveable rub.

My van at 8300lbs on 285/70r17 is planted and not wallowy at all. The solution to the sprinter's handling deficits is suspension and not tires however. Moving to an LT tire on a larger footprint helps handling to some degree, but changing the suspension fixes it.
I think this is the answer that I'm looking for to validate the 285/70/17 tire choice. @OffroadHamster has an almost identical setup as what I want to I'd say this is a safe call.

TPMS sensors, and bolts next, then I'm set!

OffroadHamster

The van is a 2016 so I don't have the adaptive cruise control. Is that the distronic system that you are referring to?

I think this is the answer that I'm looking for to validate the 285/70/17 tire choice. @OffroadHamster has an almost identical setup as what I want to I'd say this is a safe call.

TPMS sensors, and bolts next, then I'm set!
The falken wildpeak I run (285/70r17) is a true 33" tire and not a 32.7. It will occasionally rub the strut boot, but so far after 40K miles it has not rubbed through it.

I have fitted medium snow chains to the rear and driven around the block successfully. That said, I have never actually had to run them in the snow.

I had to massage the plastic fender liners in the front to mitigate rubbing at lock over bumps. It was easy and trivial.

You should be fine to run this size.

Top Bottom