2006 sprinter not turning over

njplumber

Hello all, I have 2006 dodge sprinter 3500 with 59,000 miles im 1st owner, Just had new trans installed at local trans shop, apparently the tork converter imploded and took the rest of the trans with it, also had oil change, fuel filter and serpinten belt changed, he was highly recommended and works on whole fleet of fedex sprinters, picked truck up Thursday, drove home 16 miles great no problems, Saturday morning I come out to start the process of restocking the truck stated right up, though I heard an unusually knocking sound (was not sure if it was low on oil or just because it was 7 degrees out, took truck out of driveway brought to level parking spot to check oil, oil fine, but would not turn over, turned key coil light came on , coil when out but nothing no clicking like when battery is low, but he mentioned battery was not holding charge, so grabbed charger, put on charge tried again no good. called him up said try wiggling shifter, sure as **** it starts, ran truck around severl stars and stops no problems,
come out this morning truck turns over but not at a great pace but does not start sounds like it wans to but no joy, but not to the point where the lights in the dash flicker when the battery is really dead. but figured I would try to put it on the charger, noticed it was not taking a charge so replaced it with a new battery fully charged, and tried moving the shifter from park to nutrel and back. Same result, truck turned over but did not start, and stopped turning over with my hand still on key. Now when I try I get nothing, coil comes on and goes off, but not even a click of the starter, I checked all fuses and swapped out relays, checked to see ground was good, looked for any shorts but have not seen any. Have constant power coming to (3) terminal or the 30 on the wiring diagram, and when I turn key to second position I have power to the (1) terminal or the 86 on wiring. Where do I go from here?

Any help is greatly aPPRECIATED.

RIVISION
iM AN IDDIOT that was fuel pump relay, Have constant power to (1) or 86 when key is in 2nd position and power to (5) or 87 on turn of key on starter relAY

Last edited:

njplumber

Update

After reading posts on other threads, I have swapped out tmc relay, and double checked all fuses, I now understand that even though I have voltage to starter relay, the ecr controls start up threw the ground side. unfortunately I do not have a proper scan tool, can anybody tell me what items would cause an emc lock out of the the starting cycle.
thinking like neutral safety switch?

ECU

There is a switch that allows for start ONLY when in park or neutral. The guy that replaced the tranny should be able to fix this for free since it is his problem. Something he put in isn't right.

njplumber

There is a switch that allows for start ONLY when in park or neutral. The guy that replaced the tranny should be able to fix this for free since it is his problem. Something he put in isn't right.
Should be easy but $250 just to get towed to him, and he is not going to pay for that, unless I can prove it is something he did, he is claming I had shifter codes in there before. So im wondering if it is something external I can check first.

ECU

So at this point, you've put in a new battery? The engine does not crank? Or does it crank and not fire up?
I'm thinking it isn't cranking due to you having to wiggle the shifter.
First thing I'd try is making quite sure the lever is up in the park position. Maybe you can get it going then.
If you think the vehicle would run, you could crawl under and attempt to short across the start relay down by the starter.
There is a relay under the steering column that appears to be the control for this. I can't be sure which one.

njplumber

So at this point, you've put in a new battery? The engine does not crank? Or does it crank and not fire up?
I'm thinking it isn't cranking due to you having to wiggle the shifter.
First thing I'd try is making quite sure the lever is up in the park position. Maybe you can get it going then.
If you think the vehicle would run, you could crawl under and attempt to short across the start relay down by the starter.
There is a relay under the steering column that appears to be the control for this. I can't be sure which one.
Yes new battery, not cranking, the relay is under seat, have tested, and I believe its being locked out by ecm which is being locked out by tcm because I checked relay and don't have n continuity at the 30 pole and the ground. crawled under truck and the shifter linkage has about 1/8 of an inch of space before it hits the casting stop. so I think the trans thinks its half way to reverse. and if so jumping the relay will only get the starter to crank not actually get the truck running, I Believe.

ECU

I still blame your tranny shop. Maybe they have a guy that will come out to get it started.

njplumber

Will Update when I get more info, truck is completely unloaded, and tow truck is on its way, after speaking with trans shop they are willing to pay for tow if related to there work. So we will see.
They think there maybe more than one problem, because originally the truck would crank over, just not well, and I think there is something to that, but one thing at a time.

njplumber

update:

After getting it towed to the trans shop, he calls me 3 hours later and tells me its fixed, that he cleaned up all the grounds, and removed and reinserted the the ecu harness, and it started right up. Having a hard time with this, seeing as I looked at ground on battery and engine to chasse and they look great, could not get up close to the starter, where my truck was parked.

Any body want to weigh in on this one?

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Removing and re-installing the ECU harness may have fixed a corrosion/connection issue there, some older Sprinters get water dripping onto the ECU from above window seal, so I think it could be unrelated to the transmission work

njplumber

Removing and re-installing the ECU harness may have fixed a corrosion/connection issue there, some older Sprinters get water dripping onto the ECU from above window seal, so I think it could be unrelated to the transmission work
just seems a bit out there, and have no water leak, 1st I have cranking but no start ( thinking 7 degrees no heater), then I have no cranking, but I have coil, I have all the juice to dash, radio, starter relay, but no code for that. just don't know what to believe.

njplumber

UPdate:

To add to the madness, went to pick up truck yesterday, had shop keep it and check it out for multiple days, so truck starts right up, I adjust my seat noticed transhop put 60 miles on and tested truck as stated. pulled out of driveway, headed up hill, no shifting, stuck in what I think was 2nd, rpm up to 4000, @ 40 mph. display reads drive, tried to shift the trip tronic, nothing.

Anybody got ideas?

Top Bottom