Trans fluid checking

plmbst

I own a genuine MB 140 589 15 21 00 "measuring stick" and am confused as to how far the stick goes in. I've read "insert till it stops",and that there is a "tight bend" near the end. I own a 2013 cargo with 32,000 miles, used as a work truck (plumber).
I just saw on one of the Sprinter parts sites that insertion depth varies by model year.
Inserting all the way, no spring showing, indicates that the tranny is overfilled, and inserting till I feel resistance indicates no fluid.
Thanks for any input.
Peter

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It can be difficult to get the hang of it at first. On my 2008 the dipstick sticks out about 5-6" when inserted correctly. You have to get the feel of when the base of the tip contacts the shoulder in the transmission case, it's easy to push it in too far. Since your level now is probably close to correct (unless someone's been messing with it) I'd experiment with different depths and felt stopping points until you get an approximately correct reading, which should give you a clue where yours should be.

plmbst

Trouble is, I don't know if the fluid has been messed with. I took my vehicle in to my dealer to have the ATF cooling lines repaired after I noticed that they were coated with fluid.
After not looking at the van the first day ( I had an appointment that was confirmed by two phone calls), they discovered ,on the 2nd day, that they did not have the parts and that the parts would arrive on the third day. On the third day it was discovered that they should have ordered another part. So by now I'm without my van for the third day and I cannot work out of the loaner CLA 250. I have them order the part and I take my truck back until the part arrives.
The part arrives today and I'm set to bring it in tomorrow AM and wait for it. However, when I look under the van this afternoon I see the leak is way worse and decide to check the fluid level.
I don't know if they adjusted the level or not.

smiller

Hmm, I see. Well I can say that on my 2008 the correct position is with the dipstick about 5-6" out (you can feel a bit of resistance there, but as you know you can feel a bit of resistance at other places as well.) I would expect the 2013 to be the same (?) but perhaps someone with some personal experience can comment.

plmbst

For future info...
With my vehicle back after the cooling lines were fixed I ran 20 miles at highway speeds and checked the fluid again. With about 1" of "spring" showing and inserted as far as possible, without forcing, the level was exactly at the bottom of the "hot" acceptable range. So the stop at the end of the measuring stick works.
I will say Rallye did the right thing by comping my NYS inspection fee AND handing me a $100.00 gift certificate good for parts, service and "boutique" items.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
If that where me I would now mark the top of the dipstick at the point it has to be inserted to for future reference. A turn of insulation tape or the like should work.

Or in a few months time you will be trying to find this thread to see how far to stick it in to again :bash:

Keith.

jessemilton

mobile man
Is it possible for someone to list the various models measuring depth to the correct length and that way anyone who finds this thread could know or better make one with some spring steel, knowing given marks. Full - min. For such a precise engineering vehicle, using a blind depth "feel" gauge shouldn't be the way to measure such an important fluid.

Last edited:

sailquik

Jesse,
It is NOT a "blind depth (by feel) measurement!
There are ears (2 small protrusions in the shape of a diamond) on the top of the actual plastic measuring portion of the end of the trans dipstick.
There are photos of it somewhere if you search.
Anyone who thinks they can DIY an accurate Sprinter transmission dipstick is fooling themselves unless they have a way to get the OEM plastic tip with the correct geometry to "seat" in the taper at the bottom of the dipstick tube!
If you have the tip....then it does not matter what you use to insert and extract it.
If you don't have the graduated and specific tapered plastic tip, you can tell absolutely nothing beyond that there is fluid in the trans pan.
There is a taper in the dipstick tube where it enters the side of the transmission.
When the "ears" land on that taper you are at the correct measurement depth.

Oh, and while on the subject of transmission dipsticks, the 7G-Tronic 7 speed in the 2014 and 2015 4CE (OM-651 I4 2.143 liter 2 stage turbocharged engine)/ 7G-Tronic 7 speed auto trans uses a very different dipstick than the OM-642/5G-Tronic (NAG-1) 5 speed transmission.
The 7 speed dipstick is longer, has a different measurement scale, and a entirely different part number.
Hope this helps,
Roger

smiller

There's not much reason to mess with making one yourself, there are several perfectly adequate aftermarket versions for 20 bucks or so with the properly shaped and calibrated plastic tip. Just not worth hassling a home-brew version that may not (probably will not) be accurate.

jessemilton

mobile man
I didn't need one, and sorry for the ignorance as to the stick design but it read to me as the read points were a feel design that was applicable to different models(shop tool) and that its length to oil pan read varied by models. I was thinking (Im a Areo/Astro Eng) to KISS(keep it simple stupid). And yes most people don't have access to a machine shop. So $20 for one makes more cents.

Last edited:

cahaak

You can get the dipstick for less than $10 on ebay and works great. Just search for 722.6 transmission dipstick. you can't make it for that price.

Chris

aznplumber280

Hi,

I have a 2008 V6 Diesel Model, I also bought a 140 589 15 21 00 Dip Stick and Measures 45 1/2" from the black tip to the bottom of the red handle, the dip stick sticks out at least 4" from the tube to the bottom of the red handle and I get no readings what so ever. Another member posted with the same dip stick and same vehicle and his dip stick red handle went all the way down to the tube. Please help. Thanks

sajohnson

'09 View/08 3500 chassis
My dipstick is 43" from the "ears" on the plastic measuring tip to the handle.

When fully inserted, the handle is about 3/8" to 1/2" above the top of the tube.

So regardless of the length of your dipstick, if you mark it about 42.5" above the "ears", that should get you very close.

SeattleMatt

Keep this thread going :)

I am starting to think that the 2008 models have a problem with the dipstick tube. I can't seem to get a feel for when the ears catch on mine. I have the OEM copy dipstick with ears.

sajohnson

'09 View/08 3500 chassis
Keep this thread going :)

I am starting to think that the 2008 models have a problem with the dipstick tube. I can't seem to get a feel for when the ears catch on mine. I have the OEM copy dipstick with ears.
I have an eBay special dipstick/"tool". A agree it is difficult to know when it's bottomed out. With mine, it goes almost all the way in -- the plastic handle ends up about 3/4" from the tube. Of course, that's only potentially helpful if your dipstick is the same length from the handle to the 'ears'.

Top Bottom