quick seat question

jfb

New '04 140 cargo owner here. Do the rear seats in a passenger van use the same brackets and bracket locations? In other words: does a 3-person seat fit in any of the three possible positions? What about the 2-person seat?
Thanks!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
New '04 140 cargo owner here. Do the rear seats in a passenger van use the same brackets and bracket locations? In other words: does a 3-person seat fit in any of the three possible positions? What about the 2-person seat?
Thanks!
My 2005 short (118"wb) passenger wagon came with two 3-person seats, which could go in either position (the "just behind driver" and the place behind it.).
A 2-person seat could go in either position.

BUT: the forward 3-person seat is 6 inches narrower than the rearmost seat, to provide an "aisle" on the sliding door side of the vehicle.

This drawing shows a 140" wb with three rows, with the seats arranged "narrow 3, 2, wide 3": View attachment P2500SHC-140.pdf

--dick

Last edited:

cahaak

Yes, any of the seats will fit in any position (same bracket spacing). In the passenger vans normally the second row seat is a 2 passenger so that row only has two brackets installed, but the hardware for the third bracket can be installed by cutting out the wood floor location and then installing the bracket (you will need to grind off the spot weld that holds in the bolts and replace with new bolts into a purchased floor bracket). On the cargo vans it is more complicated as they usually don't have the threaded nut welded on the back to take the bolt that would hold down the floor bracket. This means that you need to go under the van and place a back side nut to do this, but then there are the frame rails ad the gas tank is in the way of one of the brackets. There are several writeups here on putting seats into a cargo van.

So, short answer to your question is yes, getting the brackets into place can be more involved.

Chris

Garandman

We are going to install brackets for a two person seat in a 118 cargo. Ordered one long and one short seat mount. But where do they go? Or will it be obvious when I pull up the floor?

trc.rhubarb

it will be obvious but make sure you install them on the bench first so you get them facing the correct direction.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It should be obvious when you pull up the floor ... the long one(s) go on the outside, the short one goes in the center of the van.

SeatAnchorMeasurementsT1N.png

FloorFoto.JPG
(i forget why those particular bolts are circled)

The original MB floor had tiny drill holes marking the "corners" of each anchor position.
Using them as cutting guides lets you cut the floor without actually removing it.

--dick

Garandman

And to get at the one behind the driver, you have to drop the fuel tank? (Of course I just refueled....)

And for a two-seater it will be the one behind the driver and the center?

Garandman

Another question: how is a three person seat in the second row? Since I wouldn't have a third row no one would have to climb in back. Thinking it might be more comfortable for two people.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Another question: how is a three person seat in the second row? Since I wouldn't have a third row no one would have to climb in back. Thinking it might be more comfortable for two people.
The 2nd row 3-seater is 6 inches narrower (on the passenger side) than the 3rd row 3-seater. That provides a narrow passageway on the door side of the 2nd row.

And for a two-seater it will be the one behind the driver and the center?
Correct.

--dick

trc.rhubarb

I run the wide 3 seater. Before covid lockdown, i could get in the back easy enough... now, it's a tight squeeze.
If you want regular side access to the area behind the bench, i'd suggest the narrower one or a max 32" waist
For me, having as much room between the kids that sit in the back was paramount... less "will you quit touching me!" incidents.

Garandman

OK, “Masure twice cut once” question. These are the holes I’ve found for the seat brackets.

Where should #2 be?

Are the others correct?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The long anchor plates all line up, therefore "2" should match where "6" were.
But i think you've got (3) and (4) severely mis-positioned.
Your (1), (3) and (5) should all be the same distance back from the seat pedestals.

You evidently need this photo, too:

SeatAnchorsBoth1.jpg

The front of the Sprinter is off to the right --->> in that photo.
The brown bar across the rear end of the short anchor is simply part of my bed frame.

In this next photo, i'm standing with my butt between the two front seats. Hence "front of Sprinter" is down v

ForwardSeatAnchor.jpg

--dick

Garandman

Going to try again tomorrow. Picked up a three person seat but probably going to cut it down or buy a two-seater.

Top Bottom