Power Steering Fluid

mobileoilchange

Ive recieved a few E mails on what power steering fluid to use in your sprinter. I also see that some of you were told to use Chryslers ATF+4
THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT FLUID. who ever told you that is a moron. for 1 the power steering fluid in your sprinter is clear not red, the ATF+4 is redish/purple colored. No sprinter uses ATF+4 for anything, not the power steering, not the transmission. Its a Chrysler / dodge fluid.

The correct power steering fluid for your sprinter is made by GUNK part # M2712SYN. You could go to the MB dealer to buy their fluid but why pay the MB price?

When I do a MB or Sprinter power steering fluid flush I use this fluid and have had no problems at all. Its made for european and nissan vehicles. If youre going to do a complete flush get about 9-14 bottles, depending on how dirty your fluid is. i wish they sold it in bigger 1 gallon jugs but all i ever see it in is 12oz bottles.

www.gunk.com/cat_m2712syn.asp

also it is SAFE to add lucas power steering stop leak to the MB power steering system. but do not add automatic transmission fluid to your sprinters steering system!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The service manual for 2007 Sprinters in North America says

CAUTION: Mopar® Power Steering Fluid + 4 or Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid is to be used in the power steering system. Both Fluids have the same material standard specifications (MS-9602). No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if another fluid is used. Do not overfill the system.​

The MB Sheet number listed is: 236.3

-Jon

mobileoilchange

sorry but i have to disagree,
if that is the case, why did MB use a clear power steering fluid instead of the red/purple ATF+4 fluid? Ill stick with using the Gunk power steering fluid.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have no idea why the factory does one thing and Chrysler says another. MB (USA) Workshop Information System (WIS on startekinfo.com) contains service info for the OM642. In more than a few places it contradicts the Dodge service manual. For instance, WIS explicitly says to replace clamps for fuel filter lines and - if memory services - use no other type of clamp. Dodge has no such guidance for either the Sprinter or the CRD 3.0L Jeep products that use the same engine.

I only posted it because everyone should know the manual and - in this case - your observations are in conflict. The guy you call a moron may well have just been repeating what he was told or what he read in the service manual.

The truth is many MB diesel fanatics are anywhere between irate and baffled by what Dodge does with Sprinters.

For my part, I tend to side with real world experience and I respect yours.

-Jon

Last edited:

socks

My steering rack has a slow leak. This has been coming on for awhile. I finally took it in to the dealer only to discover the warranty is out and they want $2100 to replace the rack. Has anyone else had issues with the power steering / steering rack systems?

mobileoilchange

if you have a small leak, try using Lucas power steering stop leak. its safe to use for all power steering fluids. including Mercedes benz. its worth a try 8 bucks compaired to 2100 bucks.

blade625

Diesel-dumb...
the rack on my 07 was leaking. Dodge replaced it, under warantee, yesterday.

The service writer said they have had a few in with this problem...enough to keep the racks in stock.

blakej59

Mine leaked as well (replaced at 20,000 miles). Dealer told me part was backordered and he had 2 others backordered and needing replacement as well.

When they had it done, I saw a copy of the bill to Chrysler for the work was $2,000. WOW. Expensive defect.

My thought was between EGR and this, when the warrentee runs out, this van will be a killer. Not to mention the $300 oil/fuel filter changes.

blade625

Diesel-dumb...
From where was the fluid leaking?

-Jon
Hi Jon. Although I didn't disassemble anything, I'm fairly certain my leak was inside the boot, at the tie-rod seal, on the drivers side [US]. based on your drawing [which has the rack inverted, the mounting lugs #2 would be facing down] it was the shaft seal nearest the steering box
I say this because; although I was losing fluid [about 1/2 qt in 12,000 miles] it didn't manifest itself as a visible leak until just recently. I had looked at the undercarrige a few times [wondering where the PS fluid was going:idunno:] and everything was dry.

I think it filled the boot to capacity first, then finally started leaking out under pressure.:2cents:

DoveTwin

I have a rack that is leaking from #3 position the seal under the boot. What can I do short of replacing the rack

I have a rack that is leaking from #3 position the seal under the boot. What can I do short of replacing the rack
From Post # 6 above.

"if you have a small leak, try using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. its safe to use for all power steering fluids. including Mercedes Benz. its worth a try 8 bucks compared to 2100 bucks."

I added Lucas PS Stop Leak to my T1N. It has been fine.

I've noticed a few posts about steering system leaks. I learned that I could not rebuild my 2004 steering rack. I sucked out the reservoir and replaced it with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak fluid as a preventative measure. No problems at the time (2010?). None so far. 246,000 302,000 335,000 + on the van. 100,000 + now on the Lucas fluid.

I'm certain others have my mileage and much more without steering system issues. If my experiment does nothing else it shows that the Lucas product will not immediately destroy your steering system. I would not hesitate to suggest that anyone who notices a leak should try the Lucas Stop Leak before going for the expensive rack replacement. If seals are seeping it will likely work.

No other additives used other than Power Service Diesel Antigel in the white jug. FWIW. vic
:2cents: vic

Chaski

Anyone ever run Swepco 715 Power steering fluid? It is a power steering fluid that is remarkably lacking in technical certifications. The bottle indicates to put it in anything besides a Honda. FWIW it is what PSC recommends to run in all their high dollar domestic power steering setups.

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
How would I drain the power steering reservoir to add the lucas stop leak I bought the larger quart size. My fluid is brown now 378k, wish I would have changed sooner it's the most neglected fluid out of all the fluids.. No leaks but I do get a shuddered vibration when turning at low speeds and I have uneven tire wear on the front tire. Took it to big O today, they said I need front wheel bearings, steering rack & tie rods.

A large syringe or turkey baster will work to lower the level of the reservoir.

There are cheap suck pumps at HF and home box stores.

vic

jrod5150

How would I drain the power steering reservoir to add the lucas stop leak I bought the larger quart size. My fluid is brown now 378k, wish I would have changed sooner it's the most neglected fluid out of all the fluids.. No leaks but I do get a shuddered vibration when turning at low speeds and I have uneven tire wear on the front tire. Took it to big O today, they said I need front wheel bearings, steering rack & tie rods.
If your talkin T1N, just remove the hose clamp and pull the return line on the lower corner of the reservoir. Have a small pan or bowl to catch it all youll have fluid coming out of both the hose and the reservoir

Phermi

Now I am confused ... came looking for which power steering fluid to use on a 2012 MB Sprinter 2500 .... I am just an unexperienced owner ..... page 161 of the operator manual shows:
1705759854737.png
I understand there are conflicting opinions in this thread ..... I just can't risk using the wrong product

Top Bottom