NCV3 3.0L Diesel Fuel Filter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This posting depicts the location of the fuel filter and some of the pieces that have to be removed to expose it. Several users have changed their fuel filter, but I don't recall any pictures of the fuel filter as of this writing. I do recall people asking after its location after verbal descriptions like "in the 'v'" or "under the cover." This posting just answers the question with pictures.

Note: I'm only documenting the location of the fuel filter, not the remove/replace procedure. I'd document that, but my van isn't due for its first filter change for 4,000 more miles and - at the rate I'm driving - that'll be Sept.

To access the fuel filter, you need to pull off the air cleaner and the middle plate of the three piece engine cover.

The engine cover resides below the air cleaner.
I removed the worm gear clamp on the passenger side of the North American vehicle (indicated by the pointing stick).
Then I removed the jumpstart postive lead (not pictured)
Then I disengaged the air intake hose (lower left side of the following pic).

AirCleanerRelease_Pic.jpg

This exposes the engine cover's middle plate.

ReleasedAirCleaner_pic.jpg

Watch the back of the plate. There are "V" notches in the back of the plate. The notches are held by rubber bushings. The bushings are mounted on plastic. I snapped the one of the driver side, as I removed plate for the first time. Later, I'll post the repair. This posting is just about the fuel filter location and what must be removed to expose the fuel filter.

Here's the filter in perspective.

FuelFilter_Wide_Pic.jpg

Here's the filter close up.

CloseUPFuelFilter.jpg

-Jon

Last edited:

kmessinger

Wow, this looks something like something from Aliens. I carry an extry fuel filter but now, I don't plan to ever use it . . .

Regards,

Keith

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Wow, this looks something like something from Aliens. I carry an extry fuel filter but now, I don't plan to ever use it . . .

Regards,

Keith
It's wise to have a spare fuel filter. Even if you don't replace it yourself, there may not be a fuel filter on any shelf w/in 100 miles of a repair facility.

Actually, now that I think about it, print this PDF and keep it with your spare fuel filter in case someone w/o experience does it for you.

-Jon

Attachments

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The source (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of the Miller Special Tool 9539 is Hazet.

The Hazet Tool number is 798-2. Attached is the OEM product info.

Dan Holm picked up a pair of suitable pliers from Samstag Sales, but I don't see anything on Samstag's website.

I'd call them first.

You could go to the Miller Special Tool website and buy them there, but they're pretty spendy from Miller.

Our Sprinters use CLIC clamps on the fuel lines.

You could also do a search for CLIC pliers and find something more reasonably priced.

The Hazet tool is prescribed, but - like SnapON tools - severely over priced from a consumer point of view.

I mean, $100.00 for a pair of pliers? Yikes.

Then again, if you want the right tool for the right job and yiou know you're going to recoup the cash by not going to a dealership, not going to a local shop or not asking MobileOilChange to come service your Sprinter, it might be worth it to have a pair.

You can probably find a set of Hazet 798-2 pliers cheaper than Miller will sell 'em to you.

-Jon

Attachments

unimog

thanks jon good info and like you said very costly wondering if the tool is required will try to use a regular plier may work

madhatter

I am a new member. Info on fuel filter replacement is great. Do you have a source for the fuel filter other than the dealer(price is crazy).Thanks Lou R

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi
out of intrest how much is the fuel filter in the states
if you can see the part number on the side of the filter let me know, the fuel filter we use £27.40 uk original mb part

chris

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi
just had a quick look at one of your chassis numbers i think the number is 6420920101 cost £28.00 uk
how does that compare

chris

twistyroad

The source (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of the Miller Special Tool 9539 is Hazet.

The Hazet Tool number is 798-2. Attached is the OEM product info.

Dan Holm picked up a pair of suitable pliers from Samstag Sales, but I don't see anything on Samstag's website.

I'd call them first.

You could go to the Miller Special Tool website and buy them there, but they're pretty spendy from Miller.

Our Sprinters use CLIC clamps on the fuel lines.

You could also do a search for CLIC pliers and find something more reasonably priced.

The Hazet tool is prescribed, but - like SnapON tools - severely over priced from a consumer point of view.

I mean, $100.00 for a pair of pliers? Yikes.

Then again, if you want the right tool for the right job and yiou know you're going to recoup the cash by not going to a dealership, not going to a local shop or not asking MobileOilChange to come service your Sprinter, it might be worth it to have a pair.

You can probably find a set of Hazet 798-2 pliers cheaper than Miller will sell 'em to you.

-Jon
Here is the Samstag page with the pliers (toward the bottom of the page)... "only" $35.
Rock

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Here is the Samstag page with the pliers (toward the bottom of the page)... "only" $35.
Rock
Thanks, Rock. That link wasn't there the last time I looked.

Do-it-Yourself-ers should also make note of the Samstag website text describing the pliers:

Clic Pliers. 180mm long. Fixed jaws. For CLIC Clamps. When removing the clamp, only apply enough force to unclick the clamp. Using too much force could bend the clamp and ruin it. (See the picture below)

Turn the pliers around 180 degrees to install the clamp.​

I copied and attached the picture because Samstag might remove it one day.

-Jon

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom