Bigger tires - what about the spare?

FFR5445

I have a 118wb with the 15" tires. I want to fit 235/75-15 or possibly get new wheels and use 225/75-16. A few questions that I couldn't find answers to when searching the archives:
1. What will happen if I get a flat and install the 225/70-15 spare? I understand I will get some warning lights. Will the van still be driveable so I can continue on my trip and get it repaired or replaced at a later time?
2. If I get the flat tire repaired and refitted, do I need to clear the code or would it recognize the correct sizes and fix itself? If the code has to be cleared can it be done by unhooking the battery or would I need a scan tool?

I would consider buying 5 new tires that are all the same but after reading a few posts, the larger size will not fit in the spare tire carrier without modifications. But really, I could only justify the expense of the 5th tire if using a smaller tire disables the van.

surlyoldbill

wheel speed sensors will freak out, and put you in LHM from what I'm told.

People are told to not even use different brands of tires across from each other, so I can only imagine that a significantly smaller tire would cause LHM or complete shutdown. Others will chime in, but this is my understanding.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
It does cause limp mode. Best to avoid that situation if you can. I have put 16" wheels on my stock 15" sprinter, and I replaced the spare with same.

FFR5445

I've been fortunate enough to never experience limp mode. How fast will I be able to travel and would I still be able to tow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFR5445

I may be grasping at straws here but is there any way to prevent LHM by tripping an ABS error first? For example, what if I unplugged the ABS sensor or pulled the ABS fuse before installing the smaller spare? Sure it would trip some warning lights but would it prevent full on LHM?

Last edited:

I recall that there are posts here from members with actual experience using a different sized spare.

From my memory for the T1N everything remained normal up to about 40 mph. After that the dash lit up and LHM was set. I don't recall the LHM limiting to 40 mph. You should have power similar to a moped to eventually get to 60 mph or so. A search should get you the posts if you want details.

I may be grasping at straws here but is there any way to prevent LHM by tripping an ABS error first? For example, what if I unplugged the ABS sensor or pulled the ABS fuse before installing the smaller spare? Sure it would trip some warning lights but would it prevent full on LHM?
Interesting concept. :hmmm:

I wouldn't mess with the connector on the off chance that you mess something up. That said, pulling the ABS related fuses may do what you want. You may still get LHM.

The ABS fuses are under the driver seat if you want to experiment. The fuse locations for my particular Sprinter are shown in the following thread. The 3 horizontal fuse locations should be standard. Any others will likely differ. Consult your fuse map.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24683

The times that my dash ABS, or (not "and") ESP with ASR (Spinning Tire) has been lit didn't send me to LHM. It did lock the shift lever to require using a pencil to release. So pulling fuses may do what you want. You will probably lose Cruse Control also.

Let us know what the results are should you mess with pulling fuses.

Have fun. vic

Last edited:

derekhski

I upgraded my little 118" T1N to 16" wheels. I bought the door mount spare tire holder and found a 16" steal rim on Craigslist. Then bought a used 225/75R16 tire, rim and mounting totaled $70. It's an inexpensive spare in the same size for the limited use it will get. No reason to pay top $$ for a spare. hope this info helps. Ps. Removed spare from underneath now thinking of what to do with the undercarriage room. Storage but for what?

Interesting

Is that with the R16 or R15 rims?'' That will change the tire diameter/Height by 1"
The above is old news. It has since been discovered that the OEM under mount tire holder has 2 positions. The lower position will fit larger tires than the OEM 225 75r16.

"It came up recently that the front pivot point for the spare holder can be lowered to allow a larger/wider wheel ."

Post #44

vic

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Regarding mixed wheel sizes, remember that the transmission uses the rear wheel speeds to calculate output shaft speed, so a large mismatch could look like clutch slip and trigger a fault. Putting the smaller tire on a front axle would presumably reduce aide effects? (I’d put it on the driver’s side so any roadway crown would help compensate)

-dave :2cents:

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
I replaced the 15" dually wheels on my '04 3500 with NCV3 16" wheels and 225/75 tires. That required swapping the original 15" spare tire basket for a 16" basket from a 2500. The front hanger/hinge configuration is different so I made an adapter from a length of 2" steel strap. Perfect. Later I installed 235/85 tires, including a spare. After a little in situ modification to the basket and some prying I was able to fit the fully inflated spare all the way up into proper location, but the hanger hooks wouldn't reach the basket. A couple screw-type chain repair links bridge the gap nicely for an expedient solution, but I intend to cut/splice/weld extensions into the hooks themselves and eliminate the links. (BTW, MB used at least 2 different length hooks.) All of this was done with the van on a lift, so very little cursing was involved.

In the event of a roadside tire change, the spare will come down easily enough, but I'm not counting on getting the flat back into the basket while lying on my back alongside I-70 in Glenwood Canyon.

To summarize: I now have a 235/85-16 spare tire in the location that originally held a 195/75-15!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The wealth of information about MB sedans says that you can have tire rpms, mismatched by 5% before troubles start.
Would take checking the actuall rpm, but quoted sizes might be within the limit.
Then when you drive with different wheels rpm, the first thing to go is cruise control, who disengages.
Than ESP light will come on. You can disable ESP from dashboard, but experience says MB programs don't allow it to be off by 100%.
I think limp mode might apply, but only in very drastic situation.
To even it up a bit, I would inflate smaller wheel to max pressure tire allows.

Sidecar

A friend with a 3500 cut and re-welded the centers on 16” wheels and now has 16” all around and singles on the rear. He also got a spare tire basket from a 2500 for the 16” spare.

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
The above is old news. It has since been discovered that the OEM under mount tire holder has 2 positions. The lower position will fit larger tires than the OEM 225 75r16.

"It came up recently that the front pivot point for the spare holder can be lowered to allow a larger/wider wheel ."

Post #44

vic
Awesome thanks vic, I tracked your link and the person was using a 16" tire. :) that a 29.3" tire. Perhaps I will get luck and my 30.4" tire will fit haha. 215/85/16. I will post back when I get the rims and tires in, I don't have much hope though.

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

The ABS fuse advice is solid. Pull the 40a Maxi Fuse under the seat and drive. You will immediately get a christmas tree on the dash, but no limp mode and no traction control or ABS function. Once replaced, it may or may not even need to be reset with a scan tool (but the code will be stored).

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Regarding mixed wheel sizes, remember that the transmission uses the rear wheel speeds to calculate output shaft speed, so a large mismatch could look like clutch slip and trigger a fault. Putting the smaller tire on a front axle would presumably reduce aide effects?
Unless the spare is very close to the size of your other four, putting it on the front would be your only option if you were going more than just a few miles. Putting a smaller wheel/tire on the rear would quickly heat up the differential and likely in 50 miles or less you could destroy it. Differentials do not like the axle shafts turning different RPM's for extended periods of time and that's what you'd have with a smaller wheel/tire on one side. Circle track cars use pumps and oil coolers for the rear gear oil to keep from destroying the differential

Don

Top Bottom