Diesel leak

Robbiepha

I have a diesel leak in some kind of an overflow hose behind the engine near the trans... Can't figure out where the leak could be coming from. The sprinter runs well with no issues... Any ideas??

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
If it's an '02-'06, the tube comes from the injector wells. Looks like you have a leaky injector, injector line or injector fuel return hose. If you take the black cover off of the head, you will probably see where the leak is coming from.

Robbiepha

If it's an '02-'06, the tube comes from the injector wells. Looks like you have a leaky injector, injector line or injector fuel return hose. If you take the black cover off of the head, you will probably see where the leak is coming from.
I removed the cover, couldn't really tell where the leak was coming from but one of the wells was full of diesel...I will test and see if I have a bad injector... Thank you!!

I removed the cover, couldn't really tell where the leak was coming from but one of the wells was full of diesel...I will test and see if I have a bad injector... Thank you!!
It is not likely to be an injector proper. That is a fairly unusual failure.

Closely inspect the black tubing and fittings of the return system. If you mess with any of the black plastic fittings on the top of the injectors be very careful. Those fittings are often a bit fragile. They are sold as an assembly. Another place to inspect is the steel fittings. If you tighten any of those use two wrenches for backup so you don't loosen the threaded fitting.

If the leak seems illusive some people have used paper towel or cloth strips wrapped around the various fittings. The leak should wet the material.

Good hunting. vic

Robbiepha

It looks more like the leak is from the steel fittings..I removed them and then tightened them back...one of them still look wet..why would they be leaking...

..why would they be leaking...
:idunno:

Failed component?

A marginally tightened fitting which eventually loosens up?

The injector gets a high frequency trigger signal that can cause vibrations, not to mention general vibrations of an operating engine.

vic

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
It is most likely a cracked T fitting. I had one just randomly crack on me a few weeks ago. Here's a photo of what a cracked/brokn one looks like next to a good one. I had to dig the o ring and broken tip out of the top of the injector with a dental pic.

Attachments

Top Bottom