Currently driving London2Vietnam to spread happiness and positive social action

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
Hi, i've been living in my 311 CDI for the past 6 months and am attempting to drive from London to Vietnam in an effort to build a community of people using Positive Social Action to make the World a better place to live in.

I've converted the van to run on WVO - old cooking oil which i collect from restaurants in the cities i pass through, although if you click my profile you'll see very quickly that it has been far from smooth driving so far. I've had constant issues with the CDI injection system, had to get towed from a mountain top in Slovenia and have a new clutch fitted, and am now worried about the gear box.

That said, despite the drama's its been a pretty successful trip and so far i've been through:

>England, France, Andorra, Spain, Portugal, Spain, Andorra, France, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland, and now i'm in the Ukraine about to head South along the black sea towards Greece (and warmer climates).

The Van: I have a solar panel and leisure battery, and also a truck battery hooked up to the alternator (which a mechanic i met donated to me). 12v kettle (being a brit is a must), and a 12v slow cooker. The WVO conversion has 2 tanks, 2 heat exchangers, a posi-flow lift pump and uses a return loop.

The Project: The idea of my project is to use simple events to reach out to people passing on the streets and invite them to join in a fun and social activity with us, and with each other. Its to show people how easy it can be to make others around them smile and feel connected, and as more people join in this idea would begin to make the World we live in feel like a happier, friendlier, safer and more connected place.

Once people connect with the project and join our community i invite them to use our simple events to reach out a welcoming hand to groups more difficult to reach, for example; joining with a group and demonstrating their work to people who are homeless, in prison, troubled youth, etc - in the hope of sparking a passion to walk a better path in life.

So my project is also about empowering people to realize that if they come together they can change the World around them by using Positive Social Actions.

You can read more here: www.focallocal.org/go/focallocal

and i will be adding articles about my conversion ..as soon as i'm convinced i've got it running smoothly. Thanks for reading
Andy at Focallocal :0)

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I am not sure this proposed route was well researched for today's political situation in a bunch of these countries. I love the detour of going through Syria to see Petra, then heading across Iraq to make a bee-line for Afghanistan and then to the British loving folks in Peshawar and Lahore. It reminds me of the early 70's, seeing shells of VWs that made it as far and then abandoned in Kathmandu and Calcutta in the era of "hippies".

Capture.JPG

From recent links in his blog, looks like he is back in London.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I agree!
Having lived for 12 years in the area, the route south out of Turkey is mostly in either hostile ISEL hands or anti Syrian Assad control.
Even if you could by the will of God (Allah) make it by crossing the Jordanain border at Nasib or Daraah (which is notoriously always closed) you would have to back track or take the old bus route from Amman to Baghdad crossing at Al Rutba. This is also in the hands of ISIL until you get the the outskirts of Baghdad where I lived for 8 years. (Still miss both Amman and Baghdad)

I would say the best way is one I have used by taking a RoRo ferry ship from Brindisi to Alex then drive down to Port Suez finding a space on a Ferry ship like the Saudi Moon which plies its route along the Saudi coast to Aqaba . This I have done in reverse twice!

http://www.ezilon.com/maps/asia/saudi-arabia-road-maps.html

By crossing the Arabian peninsula I would recommend running down to Yanbu the go dead east passing through Al Median and heading directly to Kuwait. I have skirted the Nafud using the road Aqaba to Tabuk & Sakakah but fuel is sparse so i had to carry extra fuel in the back of my Landrover when I did this crossing by scrounging 7 gallon bleach barrels.
Once into Kuwait it would easy to get to Ababadan and into Iran.
Taking the highway to Ahvas the road is good from there to Tehran and then re trace the map going east but I would be still a bit wary of "Ghan. Funny because I rode a 1956 Triumph Tiger 100 from Tehran to Kandahar in 1977.
Happier days when as a wandering Brit there was always the Welcome Most Welcome Mister! Please sit and take tea.
Yes, please make mine a Numeh Basrah or Harmouth
Shukran Jidan!
Deniz Hadi

slem

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing part of your story. A 1956 Tiger, 100, that's a real adventure to talk about.:thumbup:

I agree!
Having lived for 12 years in the area, the route south out of Turkey is mostly in either
hostile ISEL hands or anti Syrian Assad control.
Even if you could by the will of God (Allah) make it by crossing the Jordanain border at Nasib or Daraah (which is notoriously always closed) you would have to back track or take the old bus route from Amman to Baghdad crossing at Al Rutba. This is also in the hands of ISIL until you get the the outskirts of Baghdad where I lived for 8 years. (Still miss both Amman and Baghdad)

I would say the best way is one I have used by taking a RoRo ferry ship from Brindisi to Alex then drive down to Port Suez finding a space on a Ferry ship like the Saudi Moon which plies its route along the Saudi coast to Aqaba . This I have done in reverse twice!

http://www.ezilon.com/maps/asia/saudi-arabia-road-maps.html

By crossing the Arabian peninsula I would recommend running down to Yanbu the go dead east passing through Al Median and heading directly to Kuwait. I have skirted the Nafud using the road Aqaba to Tabuk & Sakakah but fuel is sparse so i had to carry extra fuel in the back of my Landrover when I did this crossing by scrounging 7 gallon bleach barrels.
Once into Kuwait it would easy to get to Ababadan and into Iran.
Taking the highway to Ahvas the road is good from there to Tehran and then re trace the map going east but I would be still a bit wary of "Ghan. Funny because I rode a 1956 Triumph Tiger 100 from Tehran to Kandahar in 1977.
Happier days when as a wandering Brit there was always the Welcome Most Welcome Mister! Please sit and take tea.
Yes, please make mine a Numeh Basrah or Harmouth
Shukran Jidan!
Deniz Hadi

lindenengineering

Mels
Yes I was given the bike a non runner when I lived in Tehran and I fettled the thing; I spend many lonely evenings in the boiler room of the apartment where I lived on Abbasabad Ave.

At the start of the Iranian New Year (Now Roowze--in Farsi) I set off for Kandahar as its bad luck to stay at home during this period . You are supposed to be away from your house for 13 days !
Called "Seizdah beh Dar"
My intention was to get to Samarkand and the Silk Route much the same as Alexander the Great and his 3000 BC push into the Hindu Kush.

Ultimately the Russian/Uzbek authorities wouldn't let me in as I had no visa, but I did get to cross the famous Oxus River on the bike going over the bridge!

On another trip I went south to Isfahan and it too has a famous bridge, the Khaju, it was featured in the 1970's film Caravans .and built for the second time by Shah Abbas in the 17th century and still in use.
Cheers Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-GLqF-0Dg0

lindenengineering

Guys
Hopefully I have whetted an interest in things Jordanian and adventures.
Jordan is my MOST favorite country in the ME, its friendliness to strangers /foreigners (Ghareeb) like me was outstanding although I have to say that all Arab countries have a welcome to those that come in peace.

Maybe you might like to watch the 5 film clips found on youtube which for me are very special being about 500 to 600 mile west of Baghdad where I lived and found any excuse to visit.
Lovely Jordan!
Enjoy Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUQ7zOmls_c

lindenengineering

Guys
Hopefully I have whetted an interest in things Jordanian and adventures.
Jordan is my MOST favorite country in the ME, its friendliness to strangers /foreigners (Ghareeb) like me was outstanding although I have to say that all Arab countries have a welcome to those that come in peace.

Maybe you might like to watch the 5 film clips found on youtube which for me are very special being about 500 to 600 mile west of Baghdad where I lived and found any excuse to visit.
Lovely Jordan!
Enjoy Dennis

Find on youtube
Jordan the royal tour part 1

Roodster

Nice one Linden, Have to say Arab hospitality is legendary, my wife worked in Jordan, fabulous people. Saw the mighty River Jordan, now just a series of drainage ditches, the dead sea & Petra. Kindness, hospitality & good manners are very much a Jordanian way of life, the British used to be held in high regard for having the same attributes. And how we have repaid them??? It makes me ashamed. Our chickens are coming home to roost, can we be surprised?

Top Bottom