NCV3- use rear A/C for RV?

bobs144

Great forum - I just joined. Recently bought a 2008 144 passenger van for a conversion project.

My question: If I understand correctly, the Rear a/c unit runs of of an auxiliary alternator and only operates when the engine is running. Is it possible or reasonable to modify this unit to run off of house batteries like a regular RV ac? If so, anyone have experience with this or know the power requirements?

I've read where others have removed the unit to make room for a standard RV a/c.
A side question - in the meantime, if I'm not using the REAR AC unit, can I remove the front auxiliary alt belt (because it's also squealing when cold) and just leave it off?

Thanks in advance!
Bob

6cyclone6

It may be possible to modify the unit to use a 110V compressor, but I doubt it would be cost effective. You can remove the belt if the system is not to be used. If you want a 110v system, the least expensive and most simple solution is to remove the factory system and install one of the roof mount 110v systems in its place.

bobs144

It may be possible to modify the unit to use a 110V compressor, but I doubt it would be cost effective. You can remove the belt if the system is not to be used. If you want a 110v system, the least expensive and most simple solution is to remove the factory system and install one of the roof mount 110v systems in its place.
Helpful reply! So the factory A/C uses a engine belt driven compressor and therefor has no electric 110v compressor like most RV ac units? Or it's a 12v compressor?

AverageJo

RV AC does not operate from the battery it runs from 110v gen set or shore power. I would just leave what you have and install switch and converter to run of 110 when you are parked and plugged and 12 v when you are on the road.

HowardB

Also if it is a compressor thats off the belt it just free wheels until its asked for service.

Ifs its a second alternator you can toggle switch it so it does not generate power until you want it to.
At least you used to be able to do that. We used to run 100amp alts off a 4 cyl sail boat motor as a second alternator. It would just free wheel and then come on when toggle was thrown. It used about 5 hp which is not alot except the engine was only 28hp.

Top Bottom