sealing roof seams

Paul_E_D

I have a leak in one of the rear seams on my 118 highroof. I have searched a bit, but couldn't find a good how to fix. I read some mixed reviews on tape. Any success stories welcome. I an getting the van painted next week, and assume I should take care of this BEFORE that happens.

Will regular paintable silicone do the job?

Most 100% Silicone is usually not paintable. I do a lot of different painting in my home repair business and do not like silicone for most applications. There are automotive seam caulks made that are compatible with auto paints. Roof Seam tapes for mobile homes may work.... My two cents. Worth every penny...

So that was another option, Tape it AFTER paint.
That is what I would do.

Eternabond tape is well known for successful RV roof repairs, and other roof repairs for that matter. I've used it with excellent results. It's the only tape that I would use on a roof repair.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Eternab...TF8&qid=1414937848&sr=8-3&keywords=eternabond

Dicor Lap Sealant is another good option. It is self leveling so be careful if used on other than a flat area. I've used roof repair mesh with it for added strength and to keep it where I want it when I thought it necessary, but it can be used without that.

Dicor
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dicor-self-leveling-lap-sealant-white/32125

Mesh
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...&KPID=12832655&kpid=12832655&pla=pla_12832655

vic

Last edited:

uglied

uglied
Applied etrnabond tape 2 years ago. Still like new, no leaks, easy to apply, Can paint over if you wish.

Paul_E_D

OK, so after removing my solar panel, I can see that the leak is a little rust starting in at the two rear seams near the outer ridge. Why the hell are those seam there on a shorty van??? Anyway, My plan is to tape them after paint just for good measure.

312d

I use seam sealer 3M 8656, to leave it smooth soap your finger. I show that on one trhead I post where I am repairing my van.

Paul_E_D

OK, well, I ordered eternabond, but when I went to apply it today I realized they shipped me two sided sticky. Bah! OK, so I couldn't use the tape, so I improvised and used the Sikaflex 291 that I had ordered to seal up my solar panel re mount. Should be high and dry now!

Attachments

Paul_E_D

Well, not much time to cure as I woke up to pouring rain. It had a good 8 hours or so to set. The temps were mild, but still a bit cool for this stuff to dry. Hopefully it will finish curing! The van itself is high and dry inside this morning. YES! Nothing is more stressful than roof leaks in New England IMO.

The Sikaflex should be just fine. Sikaflex products have good reviews.
OK, well, I ordered eternabond, but when I went to apply it today I realized they shipped me two sided sticky. ...
Just install the tape with the cover left on.

Well, not much time to cure as I woke up to pouring rain. It had a good 8 hours or so to set. The temps were mild, but still a bit cool for this stuff to dry. Hopefully it will finish curing! The van itself is high and dry inside this morning. YES! Nothing is more stressful than roof leaks in New England IMO.
8 hours is more than enough. As long as it was skinned over and there isn't a deep pool of water to add head pressure it will be just fine. The bonding area underneath always takes some time to cure.

You can still put the Eternabond tape over it all if you're so inclined.

:2cents: vic

Paul_E_D

OK, If I encounter any leaks in the future, I will tape right over it. Thanks for that idea. I gave the double sided to my bud who helped me with this project. He's an HCAV guy. I'll buy the one-sided stuff if I need it.

Top Bottom