How to remove & replace T1N transmission

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Any suggestions on how to seat the converter would be appreciated.
There are typically three distinct seating "clicks" on the TC. The first is the input shaft splines, the second is the stator splines, and the third and final, is the pump drive tabs.

Sometimes you need to lift off on the converter and rotate it to get the clutch splines to spin. If needed, you can pull the TC off, and use a screwdrivers to rotate the stator body through the shaft hole.

CPH628

I was able to get it seated after getting the pump tabs close to alignment with tc. All is good it is now installed. I have a Mohawk lift in my garage. Used two arms on front lift points on the front of the frame. Wheel base is too long for the arms to hit rear lift points to lift the whole rig straight up. Lifted front up and set it down on the lift locks. No jack stands required. Used HF low lift trans jack. Easy out, easy in. I’m a one man band. I’m 66 and retired. Took my time and actually enjoyed doing it.

lindenengineering

Good write up but you failed, and you would not have walked out of the exam class with an international craftsman's certification .
So no promo to Auto Tech and no auto pay rise to $45/hour plus benes with that much sought after coveted ASC
What did you do wrong ?
You committed the cardinal sin !
You didn't flush out the cooler and cooler lines .

I have fired techs for not doing so !

In mitigation you deserve some leniency because I can tell from your hands that you are un accustomed to hard manual labor found in auto tech work . Its the first part of an interview look at his hands .
Next time it demands:- Don't forget to flush & put the seat down if you have a missus ! :thumbup:
Dennis

lindenengineering

Yes it was an "ouchie" but it had to be mentioned, because its a very important step to ensure a successful repair and not suffer an expensive come back .
Hopefully this flushing thing will linger in peoples minds when doing such a task and refer to the great write up which it was .
Cheers Dennis

tinman

Mentioning something someone missed is not the same as calling out their "soft" hands. Derogatory attachments like that may be part of auto tech culture, but they just make you look dumb on tech forums like this one.
Different era. When men were men, and the sheep were afraid.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Different era. When men were men, and the sheep were afraid.
Well, men from that era do have higher rates of depression, alcoholism, and suicide, not to mention other early death causes. If that is what it means to be a man, I am not terribly interested!

The oil industry learned that the hard way. Creating a learning culture, instead of one which insults, degrades, and diminishes those with a lack of experience and knowledge, was one of the keys to reducing accidents, death, and dismemberment in the oil fields, and on offshore rigs.

tinman

Well, men from that era do have higher rates of depression, alcoholism, and suicide, not to mention other early death causes. If that is what it means to be a man, I am not terribly interested!

The oil industry learned that the hard way. Creating a learning culture, instead of one which insults, degrades, and diminishes those with a lack of experience and knowledge, was one of the keys to reducing accidents, death, and dismemberment in the oil fields, and on offshore rigs.
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." Red Green. And yes, the culture has changed. I sat in on a Monday morning safety/environmental meeting on an oil patch project a couple years ago. Lots of interesting detail. I asked a manager afterward what kind of buy-in they got from the ranks. He told me 100%. Nobody wants to be associated with any hint of non-compliance. Lots of firing offences. The cowboy culture is pretty much gone, and that is reflected in the injury stats.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." Red Green. And yes, the culture has changed. I sat in on a Monday morning safety/environmental meeting on an oil patch project a couple years ago. Lots of interesting detail. I asked a manager afterward what kind of buy-in they got from the ranks. He told me 100%. Nobody wants to be associated with any hint of non-compliance. Lots of firing offences. The cowboy culture is pretty much gone, and that is reflected in the injury stats.
My grandfather was of that generation, left home at 15, was a sailor in WW2, school of hard knocks, heavy drinker etc. I only knew him later in life obviously, when he had mellowed out quite a bit, but it was a real challenge working with him as a teen. At times I was scared to ask questions, didn't want to "look stupid". As if a teen should just know things they have never learned! I did see that some of the stuff he saw on the job haunted him. Guys loosing arms to unshielded equipment, debilitating lung damage from chemical exposure, etc.

Thankfully my father had resolved to treat his children differently, and was willing to teach/mentor without the negativity. Probably the reason I took up engineering instead of going into the humanities/art fields.

lindenengineering

Mentioning something someone missed is not the same as calling out their "soft" hands. Derogatory attachments like that may be part of auto tech culture, but they just make you look dumb on tech forums like this one.
It's not a derogatory statement.
Observing fundamental procedures simply tells me that he is not employed in the motor vehicle repair business and can be given some slack for not that's all.
I will equally call out similar DIY write ups where I see rings and watches being worn.
These present a serious safety issue.

Now as a side bar I/we employ a young 19 year old female who has hands like the report publisher.
She represents the auto tech of the future.

Already trained in the fundamentals of circuit analysis, I can confidently have her rebuild a burnt transmission harness on a 906 Sprinter that which she has done several times now. All done in record time!

Equally with ease she can repair a micro circuit and the ambient pressure sensor inside an ECM in a 2007 Sprinter ECM after someone has gone mad with a spot welder in a body shop & not disconnected the battery ! Basically ignoring fundamental repair rules .
Some of you engineers got that wrong in spite of manufactures directives !

What I am not comfortable with her YET is a lack of understanding of a Prius/Hybrid traction battery and the clean up of the buss bars.
For this she still needs some training and safety instruction.
She still has to pass some practical exams on yes :-fundamental repair rules within HV systems on Hybrids and electric vehicles .

I would easily state that she at 19 years old could run rings around many of you on electrical analysis and repair of micro circuitry, & fundamental repair procedures because she is trained and continues to be under training & NOT make fundamental mistakes like not flushing a transmission cooling system before replacement.

I know in this business we have DIYrs and that's fine , but in this auto repair business at a professional level we have to be held to a higher standard and that means employing fully trained individuals that are critical thinkers and don't make basic fundamental mistakes.
Dennis

marklg

I will equally call out similar DIY write ups where I see rings and watches being worn.
These present a serious safety issue.
I have some experience with high power / high voltage / high current electronics. Rings and watches are a big no-no. It's a good idea to have an unused hand behind your back or in a pocket. Clear a landing zone across from your work so there are not sharp objects / hard objects to be thrown into. Always have another person around with a wooden stick to pry you off. There are a few others.

It is well known in the electronics industry that people with small hands are better at small electronics repair. There is very fine work to be done.

Regards,

Mark

CPH628

Good write up but you failed, and you would not have walked out of the exam class with an international craftsman's certification .
So no promo to Auto Tech and no auto pay rise to $45/hour plus benes with that much sought after coveted ASC
What did you do wrong ?
You committed the cardinal sin !
You didn't flush out the cooler and cooler lines .

I have fired techs for not doing so !

In mitigation you deserve some leniency because I can tell from your hands that you are un accustomed to hard manual labor found in auto tech work . Its the first part of an interview look at his hands .
Next time it demands:- Don't forget to flush & put the seat down if you have a missus ! :thumbup:
Dennis
I flushed the lines and replaced the radiator. I had no way to hot flush the cooler so replacement was in order after I found out how the cooler is made. There is no way with the failure I had all the debris would be flushed flused out. Wasn’t going to take the chance!

lindenengineering

Just a comment ,
Important aspects of a job must not be overlooked even if they seem insignificant in a great write up you did for those reading the text looking for vital info .
It's the same as having to stencil "point this end at the enemy" on gun barrel !
For some obvious others not.
Regards
Dennis

Maine-coast

I’ll add, the crank nut in the front was 1 1/16 for me. The torque converter bolts were 13mm.
Not sure if that’s all normal but figured I’d mention it.

this article has been extremely helpful and it took me about 3 days. This includes wire wheeling/scraping any rusty areas that were east to get to. I also sprayed black paint on the bare metal then added a healthy dose of fluid film +atf while I had access.

removal took around 3.5 hours after getting it all blocked up.
6 hours messing around with the metal/reinstalling the next day. 4 hours the final day going through everything.

Mae should do the original poster a favor and keep his awesome article clean of personal back and forth.(my opinion)

this article gave me a bit of extra confidence before tackling

Last edited:

Maine-coast

This thread helped me do a tranny swap over the weekend. I love to be a tinkering American!

And I’m not sure what the problem with his hands are! Those are some helpful and good looking mits!

Nuke

After the picture showing 2 red rings indicating where the bolts are to remove the dipstick tube, In the paragraph about removing the bolts to the engine oil pan to remove the trans oil cooler lines he says he flushed the cooler and lines by cupping his hand over one of the banjo fittings and blowing 90 psi air through the cooler line until no more fluid came out, also commented it was messy.

Question: Which way do you flush the cooler and lines?
What is the preferred method?
Air or clean fluid?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Looking at the transmission from the rear, the RH (North America Passenger side) fitting is the fluid return, the drivers side is the fluid outlet. Blow/flush the cooler in the opposite direction.

Assuming you pan wasn't filled with large debris, blowing the cooler out in reverse with compressed air is usually fine. I suggest capturing the ejected fluid, and making sure any debris are smaller than 1mm in size. The internal cooler passages are slightly larger than, that. If you see signs of larger debris, a more thorough flush may be called for.

Maine-coast

I did both compressed air and then a special behind the Napa counter tranny flusher. Hand with rag on the discharge side.

I had both lines unhooked and transmission out. I then did it once more with transmission in place and about to hook the lines up.

Top Bottom