Espar Underseat Installation

Is there any reason to use the metal mounting plate for the under seat installation? My kit came with one, but as far as I can tell, it's only necessary if there isn't a flat mounting surface available. I have a normal height seat base and the plastic tire service compartment which may limit my mounting options to a slight degree, but I'm assuming I'll still be able to find a flat surface to squeeze the unit into.

Thoughts?

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I didn't use a mounting plate. I wouldn't bother unless access of the underside is especially difficult where you're mounting it.

Just keep in mind that you'll need access to the four studs/nuts underneath the heater in order to remove it for service.

I didn't use a mounting plate. I wouldn't bother unless access of the underside is especially difficult where you're mounting it.

Just keep in mind that you'll need access to the four studs/nuts underneath the heater in order to remove it for service.
Right. I think my access may be partially blocked by the tire service kit compartment, but not enough to really limit access. I was planning on sealing around the rubber gasket with RTV silicone, so removing the unit might be a pain with that stuff on there.

I do like the idea of jigsawwing out one large hole vs multiple individual holes although it seems like the plate wouldn't offer as great of a seal vs silicone on the unit itself straight to the floor.

I'll take a closer look with the seat off and see what makes more sense.

Stev_H

@Greta_Van_Gogh under the drivers seat (UK) is where I fitted mine, when you remove your seat and take a look at the floor in there you should see almost the perfect shape in the floor pressing which the heater fits into, the sealing gasket fits the space almost like it was made for it, look for 2x semi circular shapes at approx. 45 degrees angle. Not a very good explanation and no photos unfortunately but you should see what I'm describing no problem.

@Greta_Van_Gogh under the drivers seat (UK) is where I fitted mine, when you remove your seat and take a look at the floor in there you should see almost the perfect shape in the floor pressing which the heater fits into, the sealing gasket fits the space almost like it was made for it, look for 2x semi circular shapes at approx. 45 degrees angle. Not a very good explanation and no photos unfortunately but you should see what I'm describing no problem.
Thanks @Stev_H. Pretty sure I know what spot you're talking about from other posts in this thread. Appreciate the advice!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I have Chinese clone, but when installing the heater I wanted to have easy ducting to go behind front curtain and I also did not want to waste the storage space in seat pedestal.
Here is my install. The heating duct is cut flush with pedestal, but for use I have street elbow with extension to go behind the curtain. This way front of the cabin is not getting direct heat, saving it for the rear.
The floor in the spot has small ribs, where I filled with weather-stripping in low spots and put heater gasket over it.
IMHO perfect sealing of heater base is not crucial. Doing the job I discovered Sprinter has lot of other holes in the floor, who allow for air exchange with cabin.

20210111_164215.jpg

20210111_165222.jpg

Last edited:

scott_pdx

I'm noticing a slight "electronics burning" type smell coming from my D2 S2 mounted in my seat base. The installer did put a small round slotted vent in the front of my seat base, but I also have a Swivel base on with the foam gasket. Does it sound like that smell might be due to not enough air-flow and the thing getting too hot? This is not a new install, but has only been installed about 4 months and just now getting some use. I did check to make sure no wires were touching the output hose etc.

I did just order one of Heins slotted seat covers just in case, but curious if other have found a similar smell?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
My unit made a faint hot metal/oil smell for the first 20 hours or so. If you are smelling something like burnt vinyl (wiring insulation) that could be an issue. Visible smoke is definitely something wrong for example.

scott_pdx

My unit made a faint hot metal/oil smell for the first 20 hours or so. If you are smelling something like burnt vinyl (wiring insulation) that could be an issue. Visible smoke is definitely something wrong for example.
Thanks. Its probably been about 20 hours. Just for fun I ran it with the little accessory door removed entirely and wasn't getting the smell. I suspect I was getting close to overheating perhaps. Hopefully the vented door will help.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Thanks. Its probably been about 20 hours. Just for fun I ran it with the little accessory door removed entirely and wasn't getting the smell. I suspect I was getting close to overheating perhaps. Hopefully the vented door will help.
This type of vented door was installed by Eberspacher in Germany on Sprinters/VW Crafters, see manual page 5. I tried to purchase one in EU but wasn’t successful so I bought the door and designed slots following backside markings for Hein to CNCed them. So, it is factory solution. Never had a smell.

air.png

Vent door 12 2 2014 .jpg

Attachments

wankel7

The yellow wire is the switch on signal, basically a 12V on/off signal. With the HAK this signal is basically pass through. When the switch on signal is used (such as with coolant heaters which do not need a controller) the yellow wires signal turns on both the HAK unit and the heater. This allows the HAK to be used with heaters that do not have or need a smart control unit, but still support the digital HAK function via the diagnostic line. For example, the older analog D2 control/thermostat used with a newer D2 heater. When using the new digital thermostat/controller the yellow wire can be left disconnected, as it is not needed.
Dragging this up from the depths....

Espar B4 with HAK and an Easy Start Timer.

You're saying if I put 12v on the yellow wire the heater will start?

I could turn it on remotely with my Cerbo?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Dragging this up from the depths....

Espar B4 with HAK and an Easy Start Timer.

You're saying if I put 12v on the yellow wire the heater will start?

I could turn it on remotely with my Cerbo?
You still need an analog temperature signal on the appropriate wire, or the unit will turn off after a certain period. At least that's what I recall without reading the documentation.

Flatiron99

A huge thank you to all of you that contributed to this tread.

I just finished install of our Espar on our 2020 144.

Started last weekend, had to get some parts and finished this weekend.

If you read this entire thread, watch a couple great videos on youtube for additional reference and do a parts layout on the garage floor, the install is not bad.

I had a Freedom Van Go power in a box that we installed with a complete Adventure Wagon interior package wee put in ourselves. So 2 years ago, I ran one of the wires in the harness to the passenger seat on a 20A fuse in prep for this install. Everything else was done under the passenger seat for this install. The unit is completely separate from the main battery, with some confidence, after being off grid on solar / Battery for long trips and never running short on power for our other van components.

I needed extra exhaust length to reach further back under van to end of running boards and I needed extra 3mm to 5mm adapters to split aux fuel line that was already in use for the HZ9 Fuel-fired heater booster. That also required a couple extra clamps. All mentioned in this thread.

My only regret in the install was the giant S turn in the heat output tubing. I think I could have run that tubing more straight and efficiently to avoid the typical S turn like mentioned above but it is working well!

Creeper is a must. I was under and back to shop table, computer etc so many times that I got a workout!

After install complete, it took 3 cycles to start and then we were putting out heat like a champ!

Again, thank you to all. This and numerous other threads have been very helpful in our Van buildout journey!!

Top Bottom