Winter camping/battery advice needed

pkonhaus

Currently in the design stage for my Sprinter and want to include a diesel air heater. I'm wondering if the factory optional auxiliary battery, could be used to operate the fan for the heater. Since this extra battery is in the engine compartment, would it survive the below zero temperatures of Maine and Vermont. I've parked at ski areas where many starter batteries can not get gas vehicles started in the morning. Any insight would be appreciated.
Otherwise, I will put an extra battery or 2 inside the living area under the sofa bed, where the heater is also going to be installed.
I assume I can't use the under the seat location if both seats swivels.
thanks in advance for your time,
Paul

gsenthil

The aux battery is AGM and should be fine for subzero. The swivel mechanism is above the seat "box" so you still retain the ability to add a battery there.

I would not rely on a single aux battery for the diesel heater fan.

icarus

Fully charged batteries not freeze until at least -40. Cold batteries do however lose capacity, so consider that in your design calcs. The stickied bqttery FAQs has a derate charge for batteries for low temps.

Icarus.

pkonhaus

The aux battery is AGM and should be fine for subzero. The swivel mechanism is above the seat "box" so you still retain the ability to add a battery there.

I would not rely on a single aux battery for the diesel heater fan.
Thank you so much for your time,
With that advise, I will put in 2 AGM's under the sofa bed. Would you still order the Aux factory battery for any reason, or could you put that battery in series with the other 2 in the coach. I think the Aux battery is in the engine compartment, so its pretty far away.
Thanks again,
Paul

pkonhaus

Do you think I could get away with camping in New England temperatures, by just installing a D2 air heater, and not adding more insulation, than what the factory options like "Cold weather Pkg" which includes finished walls (full hardboard) and ceiling roof trim. I know they probably don't have much insulation value, but would save me from not needing a converter adding their walls and floors plus insulation?

Rensho

Do you think I could get away with camping in New England temperatures, by just installing a D2 air heater, and not adding more insulation, than what the factory options like "Cold weather Pkg" which includes finished walls (full hardboard) and ceiling roof trim. I know they probably don't have much insulation value, but would save me from not needing a converter adding their walls and floors plus insulation?
I don't live in your kind of cold.

Those plastic panels have near zero insul value. At a min, get some fiberglass or like insul and stuff it in there (pull off panels, stuff, then tape some plastic sheets throughout) until next season when you're ready to figure out what you want to do with interior.

I don't see any need to spend the $$ on MB aux battery.

Make sure you don't buy the Optima AGM batteries. Spend money on real AGM batteries like trojan, high end sears, or interstate.

With an empty van, the floors come right up and put any type of foam or rubber 1/8" to 1/4" and bolt it back down.
Also consider getting a horse stall rubber mat in 1/4" to 1/2", 6ft wide preferable, and cut in place to cover whole floor.

All the above can be done in a weekend.

Enjoy.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
There is no significant difference in the freezing point of a VRLA (AGM) or standard lead-acid battery. In either case the freezing point can be as low as -75F when fully charged, but at a 50% state of charge can be -10F or even 0F (depending on what source you believe) so some caution would be advised in truly cold conditions with completely uninsulated batteries.

Colorado_Al

I have a Webasto Airtop 2000 installed in my T1N. Does a great job of heating the cabin. However I noticed a significant difference in comfort before and after wall & ceiling insulation. Also, I have two AGM aux batteries inside the cabin mounted under the passenger seat. I wouldn't take the chance with my Aux batteries in that kind of cold. I have camped at -30°F and have done just fine.

Top Bottom