2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous - after 4500 Miles

dknightd

I don't expect you will be seeing any major problems these days. There is no 24v battery option on the Agile so that is not a worry. The ecotreks and voltstart seem to be pretty troublefree on recent deliveries. Which battery option are you considering?

Are you going propane free with the diesel Alde and induction cooktop?

If you are not already a member, consider joining the Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group on Facebook to connect with a lot of current owners, you are free to join anytime.
Good to hear.
I'm thinking 400AH Li batteries.
No propane, so diesel Alde and induction cooktop.
I've sent a request to join Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group on Facebook. It is still pending.

gregmchugh

Good to hear.
I'm thinking 400AH Li batteries.
No propane, so diesel Alde and induction cooktop.
I've sent a request to join Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group on Facebook. It is still pending.
Very good, it sometimes takes a day or two for the admin to approve new members...

So, onto my next issue. Propane leak! I got the propane tank filled and then drove to my campsite. Turned the value on and the regulator underneath the rig blew. Kick ass! This repair thing never ends. On the positive side, I got the inverter replaced under warranty. The guy (repair guy) told me that the manufacturer of the inverter that Roadtrek put in the 2014/14 CS vans told him that model is junk and should be replaced. The new interver is AWESOME. It has separate charging and inverting. Meaning, I can charge the batteries and no fan blows on. Also, I can change the charging rate from 5 AMPS to 30AMPS so if you on a regular extension cord, no problem. I can dial it back to 10AMPS and not blow a house fuse or melt an extension cord. The Sprinter Store in Tualatin, OR did the install and did an awesome job. Here are some pics.

Inverter

Batteries

Remote Control Panel for Inverter

Last edited:

RT.SS

The RV regulator failure is not uncommon; in fact if you search here, you will get lots of hits. I have good results with the Marshall brand LPG regulator replacement (Amazon link: MEGR-298), mine has been trouble free for few years now.

On the AGM batteries under your coach sofa bed, do they have vent tubes to the outside? Even though they are sealed AGM, they have tendency to outgas…mine did before it finally died last year.

obgraham

DavidMBecker, what size is your new Magnum inverter?

And what happened to the prior one, except for the constant-on fan?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
David, what was the original inverter? Want to see if it's the same as in our Agile. (So far we've not had any problems with it, however....)

MrB

I too have a CS and agree with most of your comments. There will always be compromises when trying to fit a whole house into a 22 foot van, but I think RT got most of them right. It is a very livable unit for two people, plenty of storage and drives like a charm. I love the underhood generator. Its rare that I'm not driving at least a bit every day or three so have not had to idle too often - a twenty minute drive charges things up pretty well, and other than AC there it not much that challenges my battery capacity (I have lithiums). Placement of surround speakers in front does not make much sense unless you are watching TV from front the front of the van, and TV mount is designed to accommodate this. Front table is very awkward - I've seen where people replace table top with an egg shaped one that allows easier movement in van when its set up. Weakest part of the RT experience is dealers' unfamiliarity and inability to deal with some of the new technology. But corporate RT will directly engage with customers and solve issues - very responsive.

DavidMBecker, what size is your new Magnum inverter?

And what happened to the prior one, except for the constant-on fan?
The problem with the prior one is that it would trip after a number of hours and shut off. After constantly hitting the reset button, I got the warranty company to replace it. Also, the brand is a cheap brand. AIMS Pure Sine Wave inverters for 3000W sell for $750 on Amazon. My Magnum Inverter Charger is 3000W and sells for over twice that and it is not a pure sine wave inverter. If I need to have one for the dvd player, I can buy an external one that will hook up to the 12v for a couple hundred bucks. But, my electronics work fine.

The original AGM batteries that Roadtrek used back in 2014 were also junk and were replaced pretty quickly because they could not hold a charge.

The RV regulator failure is not uncommon; in fact if you search here, you will get lots of hits. I have good results with the Marshall brand LPG regulator replacement (Amazon link: MEGR-298), mine has been trouble free for few years now.

On the AGM batteries under your coach sofa bed, do they have vent tubes to the outside? Even though they are sealed AGM, they have tendency to outgas…mine did before it finally died last year.
The AGMs that I have do not need venting. They are used in military applications. That is what sold me on them.

rpmoyer

So David - 3+ years later are you still driving a Roadtrek? The same one? Switched to backpacking? I found this forum extremely interesting and helpful so thanks to all of you. But David, inquiring minds want to know..... the rest of the story.

Top Bottom