Audio 15 head unit reference

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
GPS Antenna Repair

So, as mentioned above, my Becker GPS antenna stopped working. I traced the issue to the roof antenna itself.
This antenna is a combination unit with both a powered radio antenna plus a GPS antenna in the same housing on the roof. Replacing the antenna electronics is expensive and a hassle, so I decided to try a work around.

I bought this:

GPS antenna.png

and this:

fakra.png

Plugged it all together and put the new GPS antenna on the dash. 30 seconds later, my nav screen was pointing at my house instead of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

So, I am just going to run the wire down the A-pillar and stick the antenna on or under the dash and call it a repair.

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Finished the GPS antenna install:
It turns out that the new antenna fits nicely under the center speaker grille on the top front of the dash. You can slip the thin wire under the lip where the textured part of the dash cover meets the smooth trim piece near the glass. From there, you can go under the side tweeter grille and then up the A pillar to the headliner, to be plugged into the purple FAKRA connector behind the dome light assembly. Completely invisible.

Turned it on and saw seven satellites. :thumbup:

roc-noc

I had the same Audio 15 head unit as Avanti in my 2015 MB Sprinter cargo van. Thanks for all the details in this thread. It has been quite helpful.

I finally got fed up and removed the Audio 15 and replaced it with an Alpine ILX-W650.

So far it works great, no factory wires were cut, and I love the touchscreen and Apple CarPlay integration. My backup camera works, and the steering wheel controls will hang up phone calls and adjust volume on the music, radio, or phone calls.

I would like to connect my factory installed MB microphone which resides in the dome light panel. Does anyone know where this microphone cable terminates? Right now I have a temporary mic plugged into the back of the new head unit with cable running out the bezel and routed up to my visor.

Many thanks,

Tom

IMG_4859.jpg

Were currently in the middle of the sound system install, and opted to go with a Bluetooth amp (powered by the house bank) that runs from the audio 15 when driving, but can stream music directly from a phone when the Audio 15 is not powered. Should be done next week and I'll post details.

Hi Dave, did you get this done? I’d be curious how you did it if so. I’d like a separate sound system in the back that can run independently from the audio 15 while parked and also run off the audio 15 when driving. Just need an aux out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratukai

I have a 2009 Sprinter with sound 5 audio. And I read through this thread, and seems like to make the audio 15 work in my van, I have to go through a lot of hassle. Might be easier to just get an aftermarket one?

kazozako

I have a 2009 Sprinter with sound 5 audio. And I read through this thread, and seems like to make the audio 15 work in my van, I have to go through a lot of hassle. Might be easier to just get an aftermarket one?
Well I have posted elsewhere, I got three years ago Chinese Android 9" DD, comes with direct replacement connectors - CAN bus, just drop in,connect and fire up, bit leery about at first, but still works flawlessly, they have updated product for 2020 about $200 still 9" with Android 9 and HDMI outs and slightly better screen. Its like having tablet there with all apps and functions BT,DLNA,WiFi etc.. Big plus is pre-wired backup camera option, if you open third light on the back of the van you can fish out connector or the cable, the same in space behind the head after the removal, then just connect . As in my other post, major improvement in sound is from sub-woofer, 1000w Pioneer box with cheap Boss amp does great job just with stock speakers, I only removed crackling small speaker in the center of the dashboard - supposedly used for Bluetooth phone calls and actually useless. I can post pics tomorrow, too bad , can't "post" the sound - you have to take my word for that...:professor:

Last edited:

highgeer

I would like to connect my factory installed MB microphone which resides in the dome light panel. Does anyone know where this microphone cable terminates? Right now I have a temporary mic plugged into the back of the new head unit with cable running out the bezel and routed up to my visor.
Hi Tom, did you happen to find a solution for utilizing the stock bluetooth mic? I am replacing my stock head unit and have been looking for a similar solution and seen this question show up a number of times, but never really saw an answer for it. Likewise, I haven't seen someone definitively say, "it can't be done."

FullyTorqued

I just ordered and installed this. It has the mic built in on the front. Really happy with how clean it looks.

If you want to keep your stock USB port order "PAC USBMB1 USB Retention Cable for Select 2014-16 Mercedes & European Vehicles" and if you want to keep your backup camera order "RCA Male to Fakra Z Neutral Male Extention" I got mine on eBay

Last edited:

lehero

GPS Antenna Repair

So, as mentioned above, my Becker GPS antenna stopped working. I traced the issue to the roof antenna itself.
This antenna is a combination unit with both a powered radio antenna plus a GPS antenna in the same housing on the roof. Replacing the antenna electronics is expensive and a hassle, so I decided to try a work around.

I bought this:

View attachment 116142

and this:

View attachment 116143

Plugged it all together and put the new GPS antenna on the dash. 30 seconds later, my nav screen was pointing at my house instead of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

So, I am just going to run the wire down the A-pillar and stick the antenna on or under the dash and call it a repair.
Which one is the GPS plug ?
IMG_0027.jpg
Thanks,

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Which one is the GPS plug ?
View attachment 147387
Thanks,
See message #200 above.

IIRC, the GPS signal does not go to the head unit at all. Rather, it goes directly from the Becker GPS module in the glove box to the purple plug up in the headliner by the dome light assembly. I found it easier to connect at the ceiling connector, rather than the funky plug at the GPS module.

ronin_hungary

Please excuse the stupid question, but I do not know much about audio and would like to finish my Audio 15 upgrade project with some dignity.
I got an Alpine ILX-W650 (cheapest option with 2 cameras).

1. Do I care about the Power Antenna wire from it? (I do not have powered antenna coming out, so assuming no, but double checking what a hell this is).

2. This unit does not have a GPS cable input. I actually read the posts and researched that GPS plug at the back (Blue Fakra). Is there a way to connect this to a non-gps unit like mine (Alpine ILX-W650) and just download the Becker Nav app to it?

3. Other option for the GPS to just have a converter to wire into Camera 2? (possibly stupid, since video is only passive anyways)

4. Any other converter unit that would make the Factory GPS appear in the new head unit?

Possibly I need to give up on the idea of having OEM GPS unit used in the new head unit, but thought I gave it one last desperate try.

Thanks,

R.

highgeer

My thoughts are in line with your questions below...

1. Do I care about the Power Antenna wire from it? (I do not have powered antenna coming out, so assuming no, but double checking what a hell this is). I am unsure on this one, and will defer to someone more knowledgeable.

2. This unit does not have a GPS cable input. I actually read the posts and researched that GPS plug at the back (Blue Fakra). Is there a way to connect this to a non-gps unit like mine (Alpine ILX-W650) and just download the Becker Nav app to it? I found pretty much the same as what you seen to have found, there is no way to reuse the OEM GPS on aftermarket units.

3. Other option for the GPS to just have a converter to wire into Camera 2? (possibly stupid, since video is only passive anyways)

4. Any other converter unit that would make the Factory GPS appear in the new head unit?

Trekker

Trekker
I replaced my OEM stereo unit with a Kenwood receiver. Not familiar with your Alpine unit, but I offer the following:

The Becker GPS is a proprietary system and does NOT connect with anything else, to the best of my knowledge. Don't even try. You are better off using your cell phone for GPS navigation. It automatically updates with latest changes. No vehicle navigation system can match today's latest tech phones.

Someday if I have the time I'll rip out that Becker GPS system entirely. Never got it to work.

As for the antenna, I just connected the Sprinter antenna wire to my Kenwood and it worked fine.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The Sprinter antenna has a built-in amplifier. You will get vastly better performance if you provide it with the 12V that it expects. Many aftermarket head units have an output for this purpose, and some of the adaptor harnesses do this properly. If not, just connect it up to any switched 12V source.

There is also a GPS antenna in the Sprinter antenna assembly. This is documented above (message #200). It is standard, so you can use it as the GPS antenna input to any head unit that contains a nav system. You might need an adaptor, and it may be easier just to stick the head unit's antenna under the dash, as described above.

ronin_hungary

I replaced my OEM stereo unit with a Kenwood receiver. Not familiar with your Alpine unit, but I offer the following:

The Becker GPS is a proprietary system and does NOT connect with anything else, to the best of my knowledge. Don't even try. You are better off using your cell phone for GPS navigation. It automatically updates with latest changes. No vehicle navigation system can match today's latest tech phones.

Someday if I have the time I'll rip out that Becker GPS system entirely. Never got it to work.

As for the antenna, I just connected the Sprinter antenna wire to my Kenwood and it worked fine.
Thanks for your reply. Just as I suspected, I might as well just sell the whole thing, since it will not connect anyways and most likely I will not spend a fortune on an aftermarket radio with GPS and all. I really wanted to save it, since most likely will be a hard sell on the used market and already have it, but gotta do what gotta do.

Cannot wait to get the audio done so finally I can move on with the more interesting stuff like tool cabinet and hitch wiring install. :)

turbobrick+

I own a 2015 M2CV170 with the Audio 15 setup. I have an appointment with MB of Seattle on Tuesday to enable the fader control. I plan on installing a 5-channel amplifier, a subwoofer, and two rear speakers while keeping the stock receiver.

Has anyone else done an install like this and have any product recommendations for amps, subwoofers, and speakers or any install tips?
curious how much your Dealer charged to enable the fader control?

Henskille

Does anyone know if a wiring diagram for the back exists? I really want to power the head unit with a lithium battery I have installed but I’m not sure which the power connections are...

tazzalot

Hi
I have been looking at upgrading my Audio 15 on my NVC3 "Sprinter"... it's a recently acquired ex ambo vehicle.

So I have discovered that I have no audio to one side of the vehicle.
  • Checked for continuity .. all good
  • Audio to the central speaker from one side is good .. nothing from the quiet side
  • Changing the balance to the quiet side doesn't make any difference
  • cut into the wires just beyond the plug at the back of the unit to try a different speaker .. nothing.
Is there any other setting/test I can run before assuming the unit is faulty and bin it ??

Regards

Stuart

Top Bottom