Alternator help pulley!

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The pulley has a one way clutch in it (by now, probably locked up and not working right on your original alternator). There are puller tools for taking these off of the shaft (I bought a spare clutched pulley for my alternator, after I replaced it with a 150 amp alternator. I have yet to change one of these pulleys).

Something like this:

Attachments

Last edited:

I recall someone here that said they were able to apply an air impact gun using short pulses to jar it loose.

vic

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

It's only $20-30 more to buy a complete alternator on Amazon. That's what I did. No worries about removing/installing the pulley.

312d

in fact, you will really need this ( the left one, not the torx one). I first bought the the six point shaft, well that is not. The twelve point shaft is the right one for the alternator pulley i show, it has a plastic black cap that you can pry off. The outer black ring has 33 splines.

imagen

shortshort

Dis member
It's only $20-30 more to buy a complete alternator on Amazon. That's what I did. No worries about removing/installing the pulley.
what he said. If the the thing is old enough for the pulley to be bad, how much longer is the alternator/regulator going to last?

I recall someone here that said they were able to apply an air impact gun using short pulses to jar it loose.

vic
That was my suggestion... pin down the alternator on a safe surface, and zap the nut with a high speed impact wrench WITHOUT HOLDING THE PULLEY.
It'll just spin a few times, then will break free.

The price has gone up a bit, but here is the brand new 150amp Bosch that I ordered from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AL0798N-New-Alternator/dp/B000BZII30/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Dodge%7C40&Model=Sprinter%202500%7C2424&Year=2003%7C2003&carId=005&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=7

*FYI it comes with lifetime Bosch guarantee if used non-commercial.

Last edited:

312d

i have rebuilt my own alternators always, the core almost never fails, unless you short the winding, but it doesn't wear. Ball bearings are two, ne in the front ( bigger ) and one at the rear of the shaft, they cost about 12-15 USD each, regulators can be found for about 20 -40 USD, and brushes are 5 USD a pair. By the way, there is no comparison between an original alternator tan those sold by ebay, that are chinese, the splines shaft wears really fast, because of the low cheap Steel quality. So for me to swap to a chinese version is a second choice.

surlyoldbill

Are the Bosch ones also made in China now (is anything NOT made in China anymore)?
I bought a 150 amp Bosch on Amazon for around $150-175, no core charge. Anyone want to buy the old one to put a new pulley on?

312d

Ouchh!!. Well my van came with a Bosch made in Germany, others are built in Spain. But you are true, I think the world is tilting to Asia. the other day i Heard that chinese people will have more adquisitive power than americans towards 2050. And chinese are well settled right now in Africa. The american empire is decaying.

surlyoldbill

Ouchh!!. Well my van came with a Bosch made in Germany, others are built in Spain. But you are true, I think the world is tilting to Asia. the other day i Heard that chinese people will have more adquisitive power than americans towards 2050. And chinese are well settled right now in Africa. The american empire is decaying.
We should start a thread in the "Danger Zone" area on this topic.

I say GOOD. Let some other countries shoulder the burden for a while. It would be nice to be Sweden, Japan or Iceland for a while and rest.

As for manufacturing, CAD/CAM and CNC manufacturing along with ISO make about everything the same, regardless of WHERE it's manufactured. QC is key, and China has a track record of lying about QC. They make stuff cheaper because they are subsidized by The State. Funny thing, China is doing it's expansion into Africa in part because they want CHEAPER LABOR! Go figure.

Top Bottom