Glow Plug #5 Replacement for Beginners

doctorzaius

My 2008 has been displaying its engine check light for months. The Scan Gauge indicated a code of P0675 which is attributable to the #5 Glow Plug or its control circuit. This is what I did to fix it. I've never worked on this motor except to change oil so a lot of this will be obvious to many.

First off, here's the engine bay for context. The airbox has to be removed and doing that requires removing the hose clamp and two electrical connectors indicated in red.

Attachments

doctorzaius

With the airbox removed, the engine looks like this. The engine cover then has to be removed by loosening the five Torx fasteners shown in red.

Attachments

doctorzaius

The pipe is retained with a single screw (not shown). The resonator is retained by three screws (in red) and a clip retained by a screw (in blue).

Attachments

doctorzaius

The engine was warm (not hot) when I did this and the #5 plug came right out using the 8mm socket. I used the special tool from Amazon to remove the connector and applied anti-seize on the new plug (not trying to start another religious war). If I were doing this over, I'd replace the gasket between the turbo and the hard pipe.

Last edited:

doctorzaius

This is the glow plug that I removed. My guess is that the light corrosion around the connector was responsible for the P0675 fault (which has gone away).

Attachments

doctorzaius

In general, this was a very easy task. There's no way I'd bother taking this to the dealer. I bought six replacement plugs on the theory that I'd replace them all as long as I was in there, but it turns out to be so easy that I'm comfortable holding them as spares until replacement is actually required.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Great write-up, thanks. Are the glow plug connectors captive in any way (i.e. any tabs to release, etc.) or do they just pull off?

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
very helpful writeup and the level of detail will help ambitious beginners like myself who want to maintain their vehicle on their own. Thanks.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I'm glad that you didn't have to include a section about what to do when the glow plug breaks!

RonP

I changed #6 glow plug and had trouble getting the connector off. I removed the resonator and tube, still couldn't get the connector off. Put it back together and messed up the o-ring - would bog down to 30 mph on hills, got P0299 code. Ordered the tool from Amazon $40 plus $7 shipping. Tried again, tool kept slipping! Finally got connector off with fingers. Glow plug removed easily and went in nicely. Was able to save o-ring. Life is Good! No codes, can accelerate on hills.

Mib4840

My #5 GP just went out so I am going to try and replace it my self. I've been reading as many posts as possible on this but have not seen a photo of the connector and how or when it is removed. I assume it has to be removed before the GP can be unscrewed. Does any one have a photo and or description on how the connector is clipped onto the GP and what you have to do to remove it without the tool?

Top Bottom