McCoy, Portland, OR (Freightliner)

Rating

• Total voters
That will work if you want full size Freightliner. To see a Sprinter go to 2323 NE Columbia Blvd.
503.802.9506 sales
503.735.1970 main phone
800.538.7522 main phone
503.735.1970 X 502 parts

I have talked to Troy in Sales a couple of times, trying to find a used Sprinter. There was too much difference between a used Sprinter and a used Ford. I bought a used Ford. But, there was no pressure or b/s from Troy. They do have a good selection of new Sprinters. They do or did have 4 of the 3500 dual 158 WB last month. I have bought parts from O'Brian. I feel like they know much more about parts than Tonkin Dodge.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
2323 NE Columbia Blvd.
Portland OR 97211
503.802.9506 sales
503.735.1970 main phone
800.538.7522 main phone
503.735.1970 X 502 parts

McCoy.gif

--dick

dr.ona

Frustrated with McCoy Freightliner...

Brought my 2008 Sprinter in for it's 20,000 mile service work into McCoy on Friday.
They did an oil change/fuel filter change and checked any codes along with seeing of they can diagnose my intermittent key not starting the van issue.

I picked up the van later that day.
20 miles later, my CEL comes on.
I haven't had a CEL in probably a year or so.

I called them up and they said bring it in so they can check it.

I bring it in the next day, and they want to charge me $130 labor + $30 for them to hook it up to the machine.

Huh?

Maybe it's a coincidence that this CEL light came on, but I think that it is something on their part to create this and I shouldn't have to spend any money to have them look at what the code is.

Does that seem fair?

dr.ona

Re: Frustrated with McCoy Freightliner...

Oh... and this is after spending $414 on the service.

pfflyer

Sounds like bad customer service even if the service had nothing to with light. If it turned out that it was no way related included the charge in the new repair.

Your interment no start problem. After a no start if you tun the key all the way off does it start right up? If it does, mine does that when if there is just the slightest turn back towards off in positions 1 or 2. Doesn't take much of a hesitation but it happens.

lindenengineering

Brought my 2008 Sprinter in for it's 20,000 mile service work into McCoy on Friday.
They did an oil change/fuel filter change and checked any codes along with seeing of they can diagnose my intermittent key not starting the van issue.

I picked up the van later that day.
20 miles later, my CEL comes on.
I haven't had a CEL in probably a year or so.

I called them up and they said bring it in so they can check it.

I bring it in the next day, and they want to charge me $130 labor + $30 for them to hook it up to the machine.

Huh?

Maybe it's a coincidence that this CEL light came on, but I think that it is something on their part to create this and I shouldn't have to spend any money to have them look at what the code is.

Does that seem fair?
I have had some many customer complaints about diagnostic charges that the basic scan charge is built into the charge out rate.
In today's repair environment, even resetting the ASSYST on an MB product really demands a scanner; other brands are likewise equipped.
Every vehicle that comes in the shop has the scanner hooked up to it even for a quickie looksee. All info is recorded and logged to the J/C.
The only time a scanner charge is added is prolonged diagnostic equipment use and tech billable time to run down a problem.

One general problem is time spent on the job.
1) There is usually a fixed time for the repair task. Example EGR valve replacement on a 903 (NCV3)
The job calls for 3 hours. In many cases the valve can be extracted and a new one installed in about 0.5 hours. The rest of the time is spend verifying the valve works, the harness etc is OK and then comes the drive cycle road test to see if it is being commanded properly and looking to see if there isn't an underlying problem like a overly sooted up DEF system.
In short there goes an hour on the back side of the job--Us cabbing about in your vehicle going through drive cycles looking at live data.

With billable shop time on one side, and customer concerns about that bill on the other, the job in abstract get squeezed and people cut corners only to find that the CEL comes back on after a drive cycle in you the customer hands. One big issue is the customer impatient to get it back on the road!
In fact we had one just like that only the other day!
A 2012 NCV3 came in having been diagnosed with a bad EGR unit by a Mid West MB dealer. A scan confirmed that defect. We installed it and tested it --worked fine! Next day it was back for some unrelated issue then yes there was the CEL on again!
A quick rescan shows ADBLUE adaption out of whack, was it related to the EGR--who knows? It was working to spec the day before with no pending codes now its not! Now some extended use has thrown a code
In that case it was a simple re-adaption exercise no cause for a diagnostic charge. Most dealers I know would have charged for that.

I suppose the general posture about CEL's and emissions related issues basically hark back to time spent on the job and billable hours.

2) Nothing to do with Diesel Sprinters specifically, but using the gasoline vehicle as an example the vehicle must be driven through the drive cycle to close what are called monitors. Some monitors will close themselves, others need to be driven through the drive cycles, & some can be forced to close by scanner. The only way to verify if the repair is "good" is to to a cold overnight soak and restart.
Now doing a gasoline E failure comes out to around $800 (shop average ) to get it into compliance on I/M 240 regs.
BUT due to local/State and sometimes Fed new rules the OBD2 monitors must be closed at the time of the E test (in Colorado as of Jan 1 2015).
This in effect means much more time on the job to make sure ALL the monitors are closed. That means the customer is VOR'd for another day to go through all the drive cycles AND cold soaks to ensure the fix was right!
In consequence the job cost is going to go skywards; I bet my average charge out for a new E test compliance in 2015 with get close to $2000, with the customer previously electing not to do that vital repair to close a monitor like secondary evaps ; now he has little choice.

I suppose it back to what is fair and reasonable but that commodity is in short supply these days.
Dennis

dr.ona

Good info... thank you.
I did call McCoy back today to see if there was indeed a charge for this.
They have scheduled me in for Tuesday at no charge.
This is the customer service I was hoping to hear.

I understand that this CEL may have nothing to do with the service they just did.
I'm hoping it's a simple fix/oversight or something.

Thank you again..

Frosty_1

This is the same dealer that said "we don't negotiate on price" when I was Sprinter shopping a few years ago. I went and spent $45k somewhere else...

dr.ona

Update...
Brought the van in and they determined that the EGR temp sensor was bad.
I had new one installed and codes cleared at a price of $201.

I wanted to give a positive shout out to Troy at the front counter.
Also met another guy named Troy who is in sales... we talked sprinter stuff and he was aware of this forum and had positive input.

Old thread, I know.
Does McCoy have the same diagnostic equipment a Mercedes dealer would have? I desperately need a scan to troubleshoot my low power , and so far, the only scanner suggestions I have been given are Mercedes dealerships in Wilsonville and Salem (22 and 25 miles away, respectively). I have bought parts from McCoy, and they seem fine, but I have never had any kind of service with them.
So, my question is whether they have the diagnostic equipment they would need to identify problems with my low power.
Thanks.
Mike

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
They serviced my van a while back and as far as I know they have at least the same capability sa Mercedes dealer. They are selling the same van with a different badge.

George.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Freightliner is still a division of Daimler, MB's owner.
McCoy Freightliner used to be a "company-owned shop" ... i.e. part of Freightliner corporate. (they weren't "McCoy" back then, just "Portland Freightliner").
That's where i bought my Sprinter in Dec 2005. A few years later they became the privately-owned "McCoy".

Although the salesman stated that they didn't do stuff like trade-ins etc, the price was dropped about 7% from MSRP. (we were not trying for a trade-in, it was a pure cash purchase).
We bought there because they had what we wanted (well, close enuf) off-the-lot at a competitive price.

--dick

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
5/5 stars, my experience with mccoy sprinter center has always been beyond excellent. I go to mccoy when no one else can figure it out. If they are too booked, MB wilsonville is a close second but they charge more and I think Mccoy knows sprinters better because they work on them all day.

Neil2

Neil2
Two weeks back they took $123 for a visual inspection. Said the EGR gasket was leaking. Tried to sell me an EGR gasket or entire tube replacement at $500 and it wasn't even the problem.

Neil2

Neil2
Last week I asked for exhaust pipe clamps, informing them mine were rusted through. They insisted I prepay $13. Today they refused a refund for rubber exhaust pipe 'suspenders' and claimed it was my fault they ordered the incorrect part. They're as clueless as several MB parts clerks I've dealt with (in several states)!

pdxh2o

Dealer Service in Portland, OR+crank-no-start

Just another option for Sprinter service in Portland, OR...I had been using Upscale Automotive in Tualatin (home of SprinterFest west) but they've gone through some recent staff changes (better now, happily) and I had an early morning flight to catch that made their location unworkable for mass transit and too expensive for rideshare.

2 weeks prior to my trip I had a sudden intermittent crank-no-start problem that the codes indicated was a failing cam position sensor (buy one from Europarts SD and keep it in your spares kit) that I was able to solve by making it to McCoy Freightliner-Sprinter in NE Portland and having it installed and the glow plugs done since I also had codes for several bad ones. Surprisingly fast and reasonably priced service, including drilling out two broken ones and putting a coil in #1, all done while I waited. In the process we found two leaking injectors (but no black death yet) so I got estimates for removing, testing, re-sealing and re-installing all 5 on my '05 14" SHC cargo van. McCoy was willing to match Upscale's estimate at $600 labor + small parts, and since they're right near the airport and had locked security parking I also saved a bundle while I was gone for 12 days...Worth a try if you need service in this area !

jch

I purchased a MB Roadtrek from Johnson RV in Sandy last week. Driving it for two days convinced me the brakes required an inspection. MB Wilsonville had no openings until February, going into March, so I called McCoy Freightliner. They had an opening the next day. They inspected the brakes and said the "squeaky" noise heard when applying the brakes was due to "light-touching" the brake pedal and to drive the van at a high rate of speed and heavy step the brakes a few times. This, they said will cure the squeaky sound, that my brakes have a lot of life remaining. But, the Service B cost $599.99! WOW. Is that a typical cost?

Neil2

Neil2
$6 doesn't sound too bad but you can't trust anyone to do everything. You have to babysit (confirm expectations/pricing) before and after but such is at most everything in this nation now. Was paying $300 at McCoy in 2010 for an A Sevice (Oil & Filter basically). Drove to Georgetown TX in 2011 and paid $150 for the same and got a loaner coupe and van wash gratis! Linden Engineering in Golden, CO is the best I've found for service quality and if local MB Custom Sprinter in Lents is the best locally for price/service. Is your RT new?

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
I've talked to dozens of Sprinter owners in Portland, and being frank, most who have used them have shared with me poor experiences at one point or another.

There's cheaper places in town that are more knowledgeable. MB Custom or JC Car Care.

Last edited:

Top Bottom