OEM HID retrofit

rjaiswal

Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I have a 2012 2500 that came with halogen headlights. Last night, I purchased a pair of OEM HID full headlamp housings.

How difficult would it be for me to retrofit?

Would I need access to a star diagnostics to tell the computer that I have HIDs?

Does anyone have photos of the stock HID ballast location?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprinter SS

I have a 2012 with the Xenons and could take a pic of the back of the housings. I think the ballast is on the housing?

I know from the xenon conversion on the GL you have to access the diagnostics to configure the Xenons from halogen. There may be some wiring to do as well

rjaiswal

The pictures would be very helpful. Thanks!
Do you think the xenons are a worthwhile upgrade?

My neighbor bought a star diagnostics system off of eBay for his 2012 sl500. Would that be compatible with the sprinter's ecu?

If that's not compatible, does anyone know of a dealer in Long Island that would make the necessary changes to the ecu?

Thanks again!

Sprinter SS

Your neighbors star tek software is just what you need.

Heck yeah the upgrade is worth it. I ordered mine with it, and was not disappointed. I have had and have now several nice vehicles with good lights and my sprinter is the best. US versions do not get the turning feature but still great.

I will see If I can snap those pics for you,

Rensho

I'd love to get HID for my '14. Love the HID on my audi a4. The halogen on the van arean't bad, but if I keep this for 10 years, would love it long time...

rjaiswal

Got my headlights in this week. Will try to install in a couple of weeks. I'll document my adventure here, so that anyone can have a good laugh at all the issues, I know, I will be encountering. :)

Robwe92m3

Are 2014 HIDs same as other years. The outer housing shape is definitely different. What about the bulbs? What other than the 2 parts listed above does one need to buy?

rjaiswal

Are 2014 HIDs same as other years. The outer housing shape is definitely different. What about the bulbs? What other than the 2 parts listed above does one need to buy?
Not that I know of. These would work on 2007-2013.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Did you ever get a chance to install the new OEM hid headlights you bought?
Was it plug and play or were there any modifications needed?
If it worked out I would purchase some myself.

rjaiswal

Did you ever get a chance to install the new OEM hid headlights you bought?
Was it plug and play or were there any modifications needed?
If it worked out I would purchase some myself.
Haven't installed the lights yet. Broke my foot, so I'm waiting for it to heal so I can start working again. The doctor says I'll be fully healed by September. I plan on working on it then. :-(

rjaiswal

Sorry for the late reply. Work has been crazy. Will try to install in 2 weeks.

charles.soori

It will never be plug and play. most you would need is grounding the ballast and then coding the car so it doesn't flicker and stop. But let us know. If i could get one for really cheap then i might do it but 500$ each is not worth for my company sprinter that i barely drive at night.

Top Bottom