NAG1 Bell housing

03CDX

I have searched the blue bar and have not found a definitive answer to this question. I know that the V6 diesel has a specific bell housing for the NAG1 but are the transmissions interchangeable? If I were to acquire a V6 tranny could I swap the bell housings and install the V6 tranny/I5 bell housing into my van and have everything play nice?

03CDX

Eric,
If one looks at the transmission you can see there are a series of bolts along the front face of the transmission where the bell housing meets the trans body itself. Are these not for removing the bell housing?

In doing my photo research, since multiple NAG1's is an option for very few, it looked as though the front portion could be removed or rather one transmission could be used for many different vehicles with only needing to change the bell housing. Akin to many of the older manual transmissions.

bruceiam

Although that looks similar to a bolt on bell housing it is actually the front cover that retains all the internals to the trans.

lindenengineering

Nag 1 (722 series) transmissions are fairly universally across the board on some MB car models.
G Wagen and C class 204 chassis platforms immediately come to mind.
The bell housing is detachable so that you get build rationalization, very important on mass production lines.
Dennis

Eric Experience

03CDX.
You can undo them if you want but it is a major job to reassemble as you must get the end float and or the bearing preloads correct. Eric

03CDX

O.k. I see what you guys are getting at now. It looked like a simple bell housing to me. In theory though, one could essentially "change the cases" instead of the bell housings. Granted more work than I think it would be worth for a replacement but still possible.
Does anyone know if there are other vehicles/engines that share the OM612's bell housing pattern? Thanks for all the information guys.

Eric Experience

03cdx
The ECU is programed to change the gears for you. If you changed the box you would have to get the software upgraded. I can not see any advantage in doing what you suggest, can you give a rational reason for changing the box? Eric.

Top Bottom