2007 Sprinter ESP light on

nz225

A few months ago the ESP light would come on and go off erratically, now the light will not go off. No performance loss, everything seems normal.

I visually checked out speed sensors, no cracks or chaffing on the wires, checked obd2, no codes, lifted the negative off the battery for a few hours. ESP light remains on with "visit workshop".

Any suggestions!?

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500.

You may want to check your rear wheel bearings. However if you put it onto a scanner it will tell you which wheel sensor is acting up. Mine was doing this for almost a month. Then one member suggested the rear bearings and sure enough one of them was accumulating debris inside and triggering the ABS/ESP

nz225

Did you have performance issues or was it simply a light on like mine? That seemed to be different than most threads regarding the esp light.

Thanks for the help!

Andrew85

the steering wheel sensor might be bad i had mine changed a few weeks ago but it's pricey about $1000 i had the same esp light on with visit workshop good luck

Compstall

There are many modules involved in the ESP system, you need a scan, and like already mentioned, a standard scanner doesn't have the capabilities to do this. You'll be spinning your wheels otherwise.

showkey

There are many modules involved in the ESP system, you need a scan, and like already mentioned, a standard scanner doesn't have the capabilities to do this. You'll be spinning your wheels otherwise.
+ 2. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:hmmm: troubleshooting :thumbup:

Even a simple low battery voltage during cranking or sitting with the key on can cause ESP light.

The low battery voltage can also be cause by poor connection, corrosion and or crimps (causing high resistance) and voltage drop to components in the system ......perfect example and common problem with age and use.........Y battery cable........ Again just a guess. Troubleshooting is key.........voltage drop measurements to key components during use would be the first step after a proper scan. BUT Checking voltage costs nothing and can be a DIY might even do that first......especially if the scan is not available.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Compstall

Here's how I know this....last year I we had a van that had a faulty steering column lock solenoid. I have a thread on the swap somewhere here. We had spare parts from a truck one of the guys smashed and totalled. I thought it would be easy enough, but quickly discovered the ignition switch module wouldn't communicate with the "new" steering column. Easy enough right? Just swap out the ignition switch from the other truck. Did that, now the truck wouldn't start or crank or anything. Thinking the PCM wasn't happy with my "imposter" parts, I then swapped out to the matching PCM. All is well, or so we thought...it wasn't long before the truck got an ESP light. I didn't think much of it being related, just another problem ya know. The guys drove that truck for 9 months this way. First start the truck, all is fine till you make a left turn then the ABS would get stupid, right front brake would try to lock up for a second, then the ESP light would come on. Again, drove the truck this way and just dealt with it. Finally, about 3 weeks ago we caved in and took the truck to the dealer, KY jelly in hand. Our scanner never showed any codes other than the ESP problem, but their scanner came up with 3 pages of codes stored deep in its abyss. All this stemmed from the steering column swap. Basically, all these modules in the vehicle communicate to each other electronically. When we installed "foreign" parts from a donor truck, the vin's didn't match up, and created communication problems. Nearly all the modules, and electronic components with some sort of circuit card are electronically VIN - ETCHED from the factory. Once this is done, that VIN can NOT be erased, it's like gouging your name into it. Additionally, we found that the gage cluster had to be swapped out because it's electronic VIN didn't match the PCM. The gage cluster is the second largest brain in the truck. No, they couldn't use the gage cluster out of the donor truck because there would still be certain conflicts with certain other modules. So we had to pay for a new cluster, $500 something dollars, and $600 something for labor.

Here's my take on this, if its got a module on it and it communicates with the cluster or PCM, take it in. No, we didn't save a dime by swapping out the used steering column, ignition switch, and PCM. It cost us $4,000 to get it all sorted out.

nolly

2007 318 cdi
I had an issue with abs ,esp ,and brake lights on dash lit up all of a sudden for no apparent reason. drove it for 1000 miles home and decided to check the fuses associated with these systems in the fuse box at the dash. I removed the fuses ,checked them with an ohmmeter for continuity, all were good. put them back in the fuse holders and started the van .all the lights went out ,no more problem. loose fuses causing a no /low voltage signal to computer? my 2007 diesel.

showkey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or powering down all the modules caused a "reboot" and now they are willing to talk to each other again ;)

Top Bottom