Tech Alert-Perform this extra procedure at every oil change

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I urge everyone to R+R their plastic valve cover at every oil change and inspect the injector compartment for any signs of leakage from the injector seat in the cylinder head. You can inspect the small diameter rubber fuel bypass hoses at the same time. You are looking for any abnormal deposits or discoloration around the injectors.

Removal for the inspection and the reinstallation is simple and fast. The bolts are 5mm ALLEN (NOT torx). The Pre '04 Sprinters have 8 securing the cover and the '04-'06 have 7 seven bolts. M6x21mm with a captive washer 5mm Allen

If caught early you will simplify injector removal and safeguard your injector seat from further, more serious erosion.

Ignoring this condition will lead to possible breakage of the hold down bolt as well as severe exterior coking that may engulf the electrical connectors on the injectors and lead to a harness replacement as well as more time consuming injector extraction.

DO NOT allow someone to perform an emergency fix. I assure you, it will not last.

Kindly report what you find. And remember, YOU NO LONGER NEED TO REPLACE THE CYL HEAD. I can help. Doktor A

Last edited by a moderator:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Thanks Andy!

I will look by Friday pm.

Best,
Looking now is a good idea especially for those of you with significant miles who have never looked under there before. If you smell fuel/exhaust in the cab and/or have audible symptoms or erratic engine operation, inspect ASAP.

Those along my Pittsburgh to Florida route next week may wish to inspect and report any suspicious findings before my departure and return. Doktor A

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
Any pictures of where to look by chance. Im sorry to ask, but im a noob when it comes to engines and stuff :crazy:

My van has about 68-72 thousand klicks on it, and ive never noticed any smells of fuel, tohugh as stated before, my engine/tranny makes a different sound sound like a vibrating sound close to 2000 rpm, and only just before 2000. After that, it goes away.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I like Andy's suggestion to inspect under the plastic cover. The area underneath is the first place you will find any clue about impending failure of injector hold down bolts.

This Ladies and Gentlemen, is what you would hope not to find:

Attachments

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Injectors one, two and three. Four and five were just beginning to protest - you can see this to the left around the hold down bolt at the base of number five injector.

Incredibly, it ran and performed satisfactorily.

What you can't easily determine from this angle is that the coke is upto two inches deep in places. It's a mixture of diesel and oil which has escaped past the injectors and solidified on the head. It stinks when you get close to it.

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Any pictures of where to look by chance. Im sorry to ask, but im a noob when it comes to engines and stuff :crazy:

My van has about 68-72 thousand klicks on it, and ive never noticed any smells of fuel, tohugh as stated before, my engine/tranny makes a different sound sound like a vibrating sound close to 2000 rpm, and only just before 2000. After that, it goes away.
MIG has just posted a (grim looking) photo of the injector gallery area. His photo clearly shows a WORST case of the hold down issue- endearing know as "the black death". But I must say I have seen even worse-a case were all the injectors were engulfed and no longer visible.

I do not want to alarm owners-this is NOT a widespread issue but it is a concern. Inspect this area NOW and keep an eye on it during every oil change or every second oil change- whatever is practical for you.

Owners in the Pennsylvania to Florida corridor-I encourage you to inspect this area ASAP and report any concerns to me-there is a chance I can visit during my upcoming road trip. Doktor A

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Sorry to jump in here with an NCV3 question, but...
Has anyone checked to see if the new V6's might be prone to this condition? Should we be checking, too?:thinking:

Jef

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
I like Andy's suggestion to inspect under the plastic cover. The area underneath is the first place you will find any clue about impending failure of injector hold down bolts.

This Ladies and Gentlemen, is what you would hope not to find:
this is a great post, ive never looked under that cover"only cleaned top of it":idunno:, thanks for the picture it looks terrible mine will be coming off as soon as i get a chance.. these posts like this are very important and as you say can save you a fortune in the future well done:thumbup:
max...

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
What can be done to prevent this from happening ? Should the bolts be removed and anti siezed?
What can be done to prevent problems with the injector hold down? That's a good question. The original hold down bolts have a sealer/locking agent pre-applied to the threads. Unlike the glow plugs-removal and application of antisieze is not recommended.

It can be argued that improving fuel quality (especially cetane levels) may help reduce the cyclical stress on the bolt/cyl head threads. Some failures occur spontaneously. Sometimes bolt failures occur when a technician is replacing a problematic injector.

Is it advantageous to pre-emptively install my carbon steel thread inserts and Superbolts? Unless you have all the injectors out for replacement or the cylinder head on the workbench for repair/rebuilding, I would say probably not. Use the best fuel/additives you can-keep an eye on the injectors and act when leakage is occurring. Doktor A

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Unlike the glow plugs-removal and application of anti sieze is not recommended.

I have 35K miles on mine, should I be removing my Glow Plugs yesterday and putting an anti seize compound?

Any other specific points to apply anti seize?

Cheers,

Tibor

contractor

This is a very good post.

When I remove the cover, is the gasket reusable or do I need to purchase one in advance?

Thanks.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
This is a very good post.

When I remove the cover, is the gasket reusable or do I need to purchase one in advance?

Thanks.
The plastic cover has a glued on foam seal which should be good for
years to come. The bolts that secure the cover go through small
bushings cushioned by rubber. These rubber buffers can deteriorate and
they are available from dealer, as needed. Doktor A

Top Bottom