do i need to worry about weight distribution?

PaulDavis

getting a bit concerned that my current design is a bit too asymmetric in terms of weight distribution. it currently puts the 2x 160lb batteries, the 30lb inverter, 10lb solar charge controller, the 63lb fridge and almost all storage (at minimum) on the driver side. i will probably end up with water tanks, propane tank as the only notable counter-balances on the passenger side.

should i be worrying about this stuff in a 2500 NCV3 or is this just trivial imbalance given the overall capacity?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
getting a bit concerned that my current design is a bit too asymmetric in terms of weight distribution. it currently puts the 2x 160lb batteries, the 30lb inverter, 10lb solar charge controller, the 63lb fridge and almost all storage (at minimum) on the driver side. i will probably end up with water tanks, propane tank as the only notable counter-balances on the passenger side.

should i be worrying about this stuff in a 2500 NCV3 or is this just trivial imbalance given the overall capacity?
I'd be concerned. I have no definite information, but I do have an observation.

The opposite side tanks, propane etc. will be a varying weight. For fuel economy you'll be better off running with tanks as empty as practical.

Of the things you listed it seems to me that getting the batteries to the other side might give the most bang for your buck. Especially if they are under mounted.

That said, I have no idea of your overall design.

vic

ehallspqr

I would keep an eye on the distribution but at this point it doesn't sound all that out of balance. If you add storage on the passenger side remember to add the weight of the gear that will be stored in them.

You always strive for even weight distribution but as we all know its a design goal that's not always practical. My Van build is biased on the drivers side by about 250 lbs according to my calculations. I'm not to concerned about that amount but will try and improve the distribution by adding new equipment to the opposite side. I'm sure everyone knows the best place for heavy items inside the van is on the floor between the wheel-wells. To me keeping weight down low as possible is more important for center of gravity. The higher up the weight is the greater the effect on CG and van handling, especially when cornering. People like lots of overhead cabinets but those add lots weight up high when loaded and can then have a very detrimental effect on handling. The "teeter totter effect"

MillionMileSprinter

Formerly Type2Teach
I wouldn't worry too much, Paul. As you know, I've been seeing alot of contractor Sprinters these past few days, and these guys do NOT run evenly loaded. None of them are complaining about poor handling, even though after driving them I can tell they need new shocks. I didn't ask what year your van was, but I see in your signature that it's a '10 with 64k miles. You *might* be due for new shocks, but probably not yet. When I saw your van yesterday, everything looked to be on the floor, so like another poster said, you are keeping the weight low. So try to keep things balanced, but don't stress about it. When you drive by yourself, one side of the van is 150 lbs more weighted than the other. And how about driving with a full tank of fuel? I don't know what side it is on the NCV3s, but on the T1Ns it's on the driver's side. That's maybe a hundred or more lbs plus the driver's weight, all on the driver's side. I'd say as long as you keep the sides within 600 or so lbs of one another, you won't feel the difference.
*It was good meeting you yesterday. Stop by anytime, but call or text first. I would have liked to talk longer, but we were in the middle of lunch and I had to get back to the kids!

Top Bottom