Advancing Alvar

Davydd

Monday, May 5, 2014, Alvar was conceived. Why Alvar? First, Advanced RV has a penchant for naming all of their Class B vans. Secondly, I went with that spirit wanted to do the naming. Alvar was a name I lobbied for my son and my two grandsons with no fruition and total dismissal. And, I thought Alvar Stovall was a alliterative, poetic name. :)

Alvar is for Alvar Aalto a famous Finnish architect of the 20th Century and probably the architect I most admired in my architectural education. Thirdly, have you looked at the cabinetry of an Advanced RV? See any similarity?

1939 World’s Fair Finnish Pavilion

So, Alvar it is. The first step was to go back to Advanced RV after the Fest to sit down with Advanced RV and choose a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis and all the basic and desired options. We had made our decision ahead of time and attended Advanced Fest more as a formality and to continue our social aspects of meeting with other Class B owners. If anything, I was encouraged and reinforced in our decision.

Then we spent an exhaustive day Monday picking the desired color of the B (Graphite Grey Metallic, BTW), the interior finishes and on and on. Our first commitment step was to put down a refundable deposit to get the Sprinter ordered and in the queue. Advanced RV will come back with a package of information from which we will agree on and then make another deposit that will be a firm commitment so more things like ordering of materials and cabinet construction can commence or at least get scheduled.

There will be some design changes to their standard inside layout. I sent a drawing in advance of Advanced Fest to let them know of our desires. After looking at their Bs and seeing what else had been built we started discussing modifications. So those things have yet to be worked out, but we have a pretty good mutual understanding of our goals. The important thing is Advanced RV seems as enthusiastic about our design as we are.

Our best estimate is this may be around an 8 month process. That could change. We know we will have to continue our travels in our Great West Legend this summer and fall, but our goal is to go to Arizona in the 2015 winter/spring time frame with a dry camping B. Ordering for the 2015 Sprinter chassis can begin this coming Monday. We desired that even though supposedly there are no changes. We hope this doesn’t delay too much but there will be a delay over ordering a 2014 chassis.

That’s where we are today. Stay tuned.

Diamondsea

Congratulations!!! I especially like your choice of color. I did not want to wait so I picked a standard silver metallic chassis in stock to save many months. What major changes are you planning? Keep us posted on your progress!

pattonsr

In the past you expressed a wish for twin beds that would raise up like a hospital bed so one could lounge and read in the rear in your future B. I loved that idea.

I can't wait to see the design that results from an architect (you) and engineer (Mike N.) planning a custom layout.

andiamo

Congratulations Davydd, I look forward to seeing your modifications and color/material choices. It was a pleasure working with Mike and the staff. We picked up our Advanced RV last month. It has exceeded our expectations in almost every area. Sorry that we were not able to attend the Advanced weekend. I would like to have met you and the other attendees. I always enjoy your comments on this board. We hope that you enjoy the process and incredible product as much as we do. Regards, Joe

bobojay

The 2015's will have a "Crosswind Assist" program added to their stability programming. According to Dave the Sprinter guy in Austin, TX. He sell all the Sprinters to Sportsmobile of Austin. That's basically the only difference between the '14's & 15's according to him.

Excited for you guys and anxious to follow the process.....

bikerbill44

Congrats. I really wanted the Advanced and we visited them last summer but I promised my wife to stick to the budget from the sale of our 16 yr old Prevost Bus. And while I really liked EVERTHING about their unit, except the cost. And last summer till now many improvements have been made and reflected in the cost.

Wondering, are you going to sell you used Great West privately? Its a shame Mike doesn't have any trade program available, yet. :):):)

Davydd

I haven't made any plans yet but it will be for sale. I don't have a condition that I have to sell it in order to buy the new one. So timing is not critical. If anyone is interested we can always talk. We are planning a New England, Maritimes trip this late August and September with the Great West Van but that can be flexible. This summer will be short midweek trips in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

pattonsr

As for the 2015's having a Crosswind Assist, I read that it will only be on a 2500. Is this true? Why would the 3500 not also have Crosswind Assist?

Davydd

As for the 2015's having a Crosswind Assist, I read that it will only be on a 2500. Is this true? Why would the 3500 not also have Crosswind Assist?
Who knows? Maybe they felt it wasn't needed with the dualies. I think getting the VB Air Suspension installed will do more anyway. I was told there were no changes to what I ordered other than the VIN number is going to reflect a newer model year. It will cost about 1% more I've been told. I would think a lot of "under the hood" minor changes might be in a new model. At least I hope so.

Davydd

Mercedes Benz puts a lot of safety features in its Sprinters. We ordered the Active Safety Plus Package that includes:

Load-Adaptive Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Highbeam Assist
Lane Keeping Assist
Blind Spot Assist
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/new-sprinter-2014#safety

That's a lot that we don't currently have. We will also get the in-dash backup camera. The only thing we are not getting and opted out on was the Parktronic Assist.

pattonsr

Regarding the Parktronic Assist, did you not need it or is it a nuisance? I think when something is attached to the hitch, it switches off in the rear but I may be wrong about that.

sailquik

Parktronic Assist...in my 2014 170" wb Cargo is pretty much my most liked new feature of the Active Safety Package Plus.
On all my other Sprinters, (4 of them 1 '06 T1N 3500 Cargo and 3 NCV3 3500 Cargo's) I managed to bump into things that could not
be seen from the drivers seat.
An odd post in a parking lot @ 7-11.....one of the guard posts in front of a Sheetz.....small trees that scratched the rear doors and roof.
Now, whenever I get within 18" of something that will damage the front/rear/sides of the Sprinter, the proximity alarm goes off.
When towing my trailer, the rearward proximity sensor isn't a problem.
As soon as the trailer is hitched up and the trailer lighting plugged in, I have the Trailer Stability Assist.
Overall, parktronic is a really important feature to keep your Sprinter looking new!
Roger

Davydd

Regarding the Parktronic Assist, did you not need it or is it a nuisance? I think when something is attached to the hitch, it switches off in the rear but I may be wrong about that.
I dunno. I guess I was practicing a tiny modicum of spending constraint. :rolleyes: :smilewink:

Davydd

We are making progress. Our Sprinter is in the Mercedes Benz production schedule and should ship in late September. That is pretty much adhering to the schedule.

Advanced RV sent us a rendering board showing how the finishes will look together. It doesn’t reflect the design changes we are working on and they did get the curtain color wrong but that should be easily corrected. We have something we can show that is a little more understandable.

You have to understand they don’t have set palettes of materials and colors. We selected all these finishes and combined them. It’s all on us. It helps to have them all in context this way.

Once we settle on the materials we will increase the deposit. From that point on it is a go.

bobojay

Looks good, except of course the curtains....

Lets see, late September ship from Germany, about a 4 week journey from Europe to Ladson, SC for reassembly, then to the dealer, on to Advanced. First week or so of October at Advanced, mid October startup at Advanced, about 14 weeks later, mid January delivery. How's that sound?

Top Bottom