Sprinter day camper (in progress)

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
George, Can you describe the wiring and fuses that you use for your aux battery setup?
I have one of those same batteries and I am thinking of adding a second one.
What wire gauge from your alternator to your battery bank, fuse sizes for the alternator run, fuse for between batteries, fuse for the inverter?
Thanks!
All aux battery related wiring is 2GA
There's a 80A fuse on the battery hot bus, I had an empty position there. (under the plastic box right off the battery + terminal)

I use a Stinger 80A relay switched with D+ to connect the house and vehicle batteries.

The Stinger 80A relay is to the left.

Then I have a 80A fuse between the relay and the batteries under the passenger seat.
An additional 80A fuse is between the batteries and the inverter

That's my old inverter since replaced.

Cheers
George

HarryN

Very nice. I didn't realize that you could mount batteries on their sides like that.

What are you planning to do for a/c when parked on a hot day ? I am looking for ideas on that one, even if it means plugging in to a 110v ac outlet, or adding a generator.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Very nice. I didn't realize that you could mount batteries on their sides like that.

What are you planning to do for a/c when parked on a hot day ? I am looking for ideas on that one, even if it means plugging in to a 110v ac outlet, or adding a generator.
Most AGM batteries can be mounted in any position but upside down, its best to check with the MFG (don't try this with flooded lead-acid batteries...)

I'm working on a lightweight, low power supplemental AC. My target is between 400-480W for a 5000BTU Split system. It's doable but the fans need to be high efficiency. Details once I get it running. My target is to be able to keep the temp manageable for 1-2 hours without the engine running or to pre-cool the van similar to the aux-heater.

Cheers
George

bratunj

Incredible van! Where did you come up with the sink/kitchen?

Do you know where I could buy just the penthouse top? I have a friend who rebuilds WWII planes who could install it with/for me.

Thanks in advance,
Juli

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Finally got a chance to post pics,

I got around to updating the instrument panel and doors.

The paint is SEM color coat, specifically made to paint auto interior parts.

I sanded painted and polished the instrument and passenger airbag bezels to better tie in with the carbon dash parts.

Cheers
George

papaduc

I sanded painted and polished the instrument and passenger airbag bezels to better tie in with the carbon dash parts.

Cheers
George
That interior really looks nice.
Thanks for sharing.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
That looks fantastic.

I'm interested in how those T5 rear seats have worked out for you long term. Also, do they clear the wheel wells when you slide them right back?

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
That looks fantastic.

I'm interested in how those T5 rear seats have worked out for you long term. Also, do they clear the wheel wells when you slide them right back?
Thanks,

I'm very happy with the T5 seats and would do it again.
The seats clear the rear wheel wells with maybe 2" to spare.

Cheers
George

owner

I wish I had seen your thread sooner, I would have gone with T5 seats they look like the perfect option.

I saw that you gave a measurement in your other thread of 56" with the seat folded flat. I assume that is with the headrests removed.

How accurate is that measurement, because I only have 54" to play with where I would like to mount them.

There is a full multivan leather interior for sale locally (Australia), 5 seats, table and all rails and bolts. Also less critical, how long is the 3 seat bench width wise?

Ski_Bike_Camp

Cheers
George

Is the carbon dash a vinyl wrap or did you buy one of those kits that are basically stickers ...?

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Is the carbon dash a vinyl wrap or did you buy one of those kits that are basically stickers ...?
I tried the 3M Dinoc Carbon look wraps and it looked awe full!

The kit is real carbon fiber with a urethane gloss coat backed by 3M film...

Cheers
George

owner

Thanks,

I'm very happy with the T5 seats and would do it again.
The seats clear the rear wheel wells with maybe 2" to spare.

Cheers
George
Sorry for the Necro post, but I've just managed to acquire a set of these plus rails from an '09 t5 multivan. I'm planning to fit the rails butting right to the back of my lwb t1n, because I have a shower cubicle starting aft of the slider.

If you are still around, I'd like some tips/pointers about mounting the rails. From a casual look, it looks like the outer rails will meet the chassis rails - So that you can't access those bolts from underneath? Also the stock bolts seem a bit short, did you use the stock bolts and nuts? Did you put any load spreader plates under the nuts?

Love the seats, they really are an awesome setup the way they recline into a flat bed. Just expensive, but I did manage to get mine on eBay locally for $365. Its just the 3 seater, rails, endcaps and bolts. They also threw in the carpet/floor, which I will on-sell to someone hopefully. Usually this setup goes for $3000, I know this because I've been looking for this setup for 6 years lol.

Last edited:

Top Bottom