First legit Promaster conversion?

d_bertko

I'll throw my vote in against heavy tile with a dissimilar coefficient of expansion in a high vibration environment. (About three reasons there.)

Some non obvious bedding advice: version 2.0 of our double bed got pulled away from wall contact so that it had hinge clearance to fold to the wall. The surprise was that the extra inch or two did not noticeably narrow the bed for us---but it allowed the comforter to tuck down the bed sides like you'd do on a normal bed. Much more luxe than the typical rv sleeping bag approach. Really dislike covers only as wide as the bed!

Dan

RyanJNelson

Here are a few pictures with the updates. I went for the stone because I like the look and justified the weight by not having a bathroom or shower etc. I figure that total it was around 30 lbs of stone. Notice the moss in place of grout in some areas to save weight. I just used a liquid nails to attach stone it worse great.

Went with a generic vent due to time constraints. It's still wired for the fan it will come later.

The hatch under the bed is for electronics (passenger side) and mattress (drivers side).

Next comes the ceiling...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

chromisdesigns

That will be...interesting...my money is on big grout/mortar cracks and/or stone peeling off within the first few thousand miles. No matter how stiff your floor and framing is, there is going to be enough flex and twist to pull that veneer loose, IMHO.

You even get grout cracking in houses when the subfloor is not reinforced sufficiently, or the house moves around a bit, as old houses do. Can't imagine it in a vehicle, but perhaps I am wrong:thinking:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
30 lbs seems a little light for this stone work, I would not be surprised if it is closer to 100 lbs. These stones look like 1-1.5" thick. Wood burning fireplace would look great. Perhaps this stone work image represents photoshopped reality and the next one will be the ceiling stonework.

George.

RyanJNelson

I thoroughly thought our the flex of the vehicle before committing to the stone. It's hard to tell in the photos but the stone is all resting on itself so the adhesive is only holding them to the wall. As far as the stiffness of the wall it's solid. If you look at the wall as a big wall it seems that it will crack, in all actuality there isn't much sqft of stone and the pieces are small enough. Time will tell. The mortar, if it falls out, won't effect the look anyway as the gaps are pretty small. I just wanted it to be unique.

RyanJNelson

Here's another photo. It's on the road now, anything else will be done on the fly. Grey wall is just a primer it will get paint some day...

surlyoldbill

I think it's pretty swanky. Not my Bauhuas chrome and black leather sensibility, but everything is good when it is kept in context.

RyanJNelson

Yea, it's home for the next few years so I wanted to make it something I would enjoy sleeping in and coming home to.

For all the haters, I've got 3500 miles since the stone install (part way across the country) and not one stress crack in stone or grout.

RyanJNelson

Nice! I was going to go with steel, but after careful inspection of the interior I didn't find much of anything that would be thick enough to weld to that I trusted. The metal on the inside is so thin I couldn't even get a self tapping screw to hold with confidence so I bolted most of the structural component and the floor.

What was your experience? And why did you go with a promaster over sprinter for a work van?

Top Bottom