Bike Hauling Adventure Mobile - 2013 NCV3 2500 Sprinter DIY Build-Out

cgale

Hey y'all! After months of combing through the forum early last year and some solid effort in the fall, I finished out a 2013 144" high roof Sprinter as a bike hauler and general exploring rig. Below is the general summary. Check out my full write-up for a bit more detail and lots of pictures.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. Your help has been invaluable and made this tricky process much easier. So appreciated!

Ours is a pretty simple build-out - no shower, no bathroom facilities, just the basics. Here were our considerations and final items included:

-Bike racks inside the van – hauling four bikes (two road, two mountain) and protecting them from theft, weather and road grime was important. The heavy duty sliders are from www.leevalleytools.com and are the 48″ version, which are rated far stronger than we need (400 lb) but otherwise you can’t get a four foot slider.

-Fan in the ceiling – ventilation to keep the van cool and aired out. (Model: Fantastic Vent 6600)

-Battery and electrical system with a powerful inverter – we need to run laptops for my work, plus a fridge and the ability to power a Vitamix and hot water boiler. (Model: Inverter – Xantrex PowerWatt SW2000 batteries – Full River DC224-6 with 224 amp-hours)

-Solar panels to charge the batteries – 12v DC system fed by two 100W panels. The system was ordered from AM Solar. (Model: Grape Solar 2x100w.)

-Heater – Espar diesel-fueled heater (see full description of installation on our site). No propane tanks or extra fuel to carry around, and fewer things to break. This has worked great! (Model: Espar D2 Airtronic.)

-Swivel seats for the driver and passenger – 180 degree rotation to convert the cab into seating and my desk. (Model: From the Sprinter Store in Tualatin, Oregon)

-Fridge – as big as possible so we can bring plenty of grub for extended stays away from civilization. 12V DC. (Model: Isotherm CR-130 with 4.6CF)

-Cabinets – wire baskets for the majority of items to keep weight down, with a few slide out drawers. Thanks Ikea!

-Interior – sound deadening to mitigate road noise, insulation (denim), and a thin, light-colored wood veneer (1/8" birch). (Model: RAAMmat sound deadening for walls/roof and Cascade Audio absorptive layer on floor.)

-Awning – double our living space off the side of the van. (Model: Fiamma F65s, perfect for the 144″ Sprinter.)

-Curtains – occasionally, we pull into cities along the way and sleep in a quiet neighborhood. Blackout curtains make this possible. Ours is a system of snaps (for side windows especially) and magnets (rear windows) that keeps it quick, clean and easy. We used black canvas for the outside and glued it to the interior fabric with a sewn on perimeter strip.

-Lights – 12V LED lights that we installed two months into the trip in Santa Cruz. A MUST HAVE, in retrospect. We have one diffuse (wide-spread) light a foot back from the headliner and another two spotlights over the countertops. Works great. (Model: West Marine 12v lights.)

Hope this list and my full write-up helps some people out. Drop me a line with any questions!

Dakota

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Awesome build and adventure. Love the 'fun' shirts!

And a big + for the safety tip of installing CO/smoke detector. (I found this low profile unit at amazon)

Last edited:

cgale

Hey Paul,

Good question! It's in the space under the front seat in a custom-built sub box. Single 10" sub fits perfectly, downfiring into the floor.

Dakota

napo

2019 170 4x4 Hightop
Subwoofer
Good question! It's in the space under the front seat in a custom-built sub box. Single 10" sub fits perfectly, downfiring into the floor.

Dakota
1.) I almost gave up on putting in a sub until I read your post. I would LOVE to know more about the box and how you mounted that sub. Think I want to do the same as I already have the amp and sub. I do have air seats in the new van so not sure if it will work due to the air seat pedestal is smaller? Thank you!:thumbup:

2.) I'm also looking to place solar on my 144 and like the size of your panels. How did you mount those mounts that came with your solar package (did you drill)? I like it and looks like my rocket box would fit behind the panel still. Do you think you could have placed one of those panels in front of your FanTastic? I was going to mount my Fantastic one space infront, on the rib, to allow for solar & rocketbox but if I could fit a panel in front that would probably be a better setup?

Good job on your build and very excited to see what you did

Last edited:

smcphc

I love the bike drawers. Only two weeks to go before my west coast trip, I might try to use the design as I would like to be able to take both my road and mountain bike.

cgale

Hey Napo,

1. The sub box was not easy. It's mounted at an angle inside the seat (maybe 15") and downfires into the ground. All I can say is build a mock up out of cardboard! I can't speak to the air seats or different space available since I don't have those.

2. No drilling. For solar panel mounts, I used the 3M adhesive panels that came with the solar panel kit from AM Solar. It worked great! Just make sure to put some kind of self-leveling sealant over the adhesive feet so they don't gradually get beat up. I'm thinking about doing a post about this soon, by the way... For the rocket box, you could mount a panel in front of the fan no problem, I just didn't want the upforce from wind to be rushing up from the windshield right under the panel. Probably overthinking it, but we had the space so I went for it.

cgale

@smcphc, do it! So great to have. We are heading out for a four-day bike tour today and I rode mountain bikes twice this week. I love having both sets of bikes and the peace of mind with having them inside is fantastic. Definitely check out those sliders from Lee Valley Tools, they have been fantastic.

smcphc

@smcphc, do it! So great to have. We are heading out for a four-day bike tour today and I rode mountain bikes twice this week. I love having both sets of bikes and the peace of mind with having them inside is fantastic. Definitely check out those sliders from Lee Valley Tools, they have been fantastic.
Thanks, I've been doing some mocking up and I may need to move my bench seat up a few inches. If you get a chance, would it be possible to get the measurements of the drawer? It would at least give me a starting point to see if I'm close.

I also agree with having the bikes inside. We know we lose lots of storage space, which is hard to come by in the 144" Sprinter, but it's well worth not stressing about our toys. Over the years we have also discovered we really don't need to bring as much crap as we thought we did, so less storage forces us to be smarter about what we pack.

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
:thumbup: This thread has me a bit inspired. I purchased my 2002 T1N primarily because it would be a great tandem bicycle hauler (we have 4 tandems and about 30 single bikes) and could be camped in too. Right now, there are no immediate plans for a conversion and I'm not sure I have quite the right platform for this kind of build since my Sprinter is a wagon, but if this one gets sold, I would be very tempted to build one similar to this. Very nicely done, I must say. :clapping:

cgale

Hey Ed, it's a latex mattress (queen size) that we picked up practically new for about 1/5 of the price new. Chopped a foot off it so that it's exactly six feet long. Works great for me as a 5'10" guy.

cgale

Thanks photogravity. We've discussed hauling a tandem and I frankly have no idea how it would work without compromising interior space dramatically. Could work though. Glad you're stoked, the bikes-inside design has worked well for us!

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Thanks photogravity. We've discussed hauling a tandem and I frankly have no idea how it would work without compromising interior space dramatically. Could work though. Glad you're stoked, the bikes-inside design has worked well for us!
Yeah, definitely a tandem would be a challenge with regard to space. Were I to do a similar build, it would probably be on a 168" T1N or 170" NCV3.

Did you put together a floor plan diagram and, if so, would you be willing to share it?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Just depends on the type of tandem you have. Here is photo of how I stuff our Bike Friday "Tandem Two'sday" folding tandem in back of our Sprinter. I only have to fold the front section to get it in. :lol:

Attachments

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe

cgale

Yeah, definitely a tandem would be a challenge with regard to space. Were I to do a similar build, it would probably be on a 168" T1N or 170" NCV3.

Did you put together a floor plan diagram and, if so, would you be willing to share it?
Sorry, no floor plan diagram. All I had was a few sketches along the way and plenty of mocking things up. Picture a 6' bed in the rear with a cabinet on either side of the middle of the van and you've got it. Pretty simple!

cgale

I love the bike drawers. Only two weeks to go before my west coast trip, I might try to use the design as I would like to be able to take both my road and mountain bike.
If you still need the size for the bike drawers, here's what I used... For our road bike trays, they are 60″ long x 13″ wide x 3″ deep (outside dimensions) and the mountain bike trays are 60″ x 17″ x 3″. We ride 26″ mountain bikes – 29ers might fit a bit tight depending where you place the rear wall of the bike garage. All built with 3/4" maple ply.

smcphc

I bought the drawer sliders and built the platforms, but didn't have time to make the drawers before I left, so I just bolted the platform to the floor for now. I managed to get two bikes on one platform, very happy with how it fits, so thanks for the idea. I did have to move the bench seat forward, easy to do with 8020.

I'm currently in Tucson, plan on taking the road bike up Mt Lemmon today. Heading out to Santee tomorrow to see the good folks at Aluminess.

Top Bottom