Billet

Anybody use LiquiMoly engine oil. Says it meets 229.51. I can't find mobile1 ESP. Napa running sale but local store says they can't get it?????

2008 Freightliner 170 642 cargo 182,000

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
I'm using the Liqui Moly oil. Seems nice, but pricey. Thinking about a DPF delete/revision in the near future though...

sailquik

Billet,
They should be able to order it at your local store there in Athens, TN
Have you tried the other nearby NAPA stores? There are 5 or 6 of them within 23 miles of Athens.
Have you given them the NAPA Code for the Mobil 1 5w-40 ESP Formula M in I quart plastic bottles?
The Code is:
Motor Oil - Mobil 1 - ESP - 5W40 - 1 Qt
Part Number: MOB 105856
Product Line: Mobil Oil
It also says that the Athens, TN store participates in "Reserve Online Participant".
Might not be at the $5.99 price, but the oil is available.
Is there a Pep Boys Store nearby? They normally have this oil in stock, but not at a really good price.
Also, is there a Mercedes Benz Dealership nearby?
They often have this oil for pretty good pricing.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Billet

Roger I asked them at the local napa store to order it. The young man there informed me they couldn't get it.
I will return tomorrow and try again. They had the oil filter.
Roger I want to attempt the cleaning of the input speed sensors See my previous post on needing help on trouble codes. Do you think this is a DIY thing.
Thanks

sailquik

Billet,
Try ordering the oil @
http://www.napaonline.com/
Order what you want, at the sale price, and have it shipped to your local NAPA store.
This has worked for me several times in the past.
What oil filter did they have?
Was it this one:
Mann Filter Part Number HU 718/1 k
If it was a NAPA filter or other than Mann Filter or Hengst you may not want to put it into your Sprinter.
Do some searches on oil filters.
If you have not taken your 2008 NCV3 to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer and had them run the full
diagnosis (including the TCM) then you don't have the whole picture yet.
You don't have to let them change your transmission, just do the diagnosis and then you clean the sensors based
on their diagnosis/analysis.
What did you use to come up with your DTC codes?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Billet

Roger, the filter I bought was the NAPA filter. I can get different if you think I need to.
The trouble codes were retrieved by the local dodge dealer using the WiTech system. They can retrieve tc but cannot access certain things.
Can you tell me how I can tell when in the LHM.
When this thing does this it stays in 3rd gear I think. I can tell when it does this cause I cannot manually bump shift. I have to pull over and restart then it's fine for a long time. Sometimes it will make a very harsh shift when it does it.
Wish I were close as I'm sure you could diagnose it very easily.
I don't have a problem paying dealer but the dealer here in Knoxville is not very nice.
They won't let me talk to tech or even try to explain to him face to face.
I don't believe trans is bad I feel it's electronic.

PaulDavis

napaonline.com says:

Item not available at this store, please contact any NAPA store for assistance in locating the item.
And then adds:

Online purchase not available. Why?
Clicking on Why? leads to:

This item cannot be shipped.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We cannot ship this item for one of the following reasons:

Hazardous Materials: Transmission fluid, brake fluid, batteries (which contain battery acid), most paints and other potentially dangerous items can only be purchased at a NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.

Distribution Center: This item cannot be sent directly to customers. Please check availability at your NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.

sailquik

Billet,
Are you going to Freightliner of Knoxville?
Is there perhaps a Mercedes Benz authorized Sprinter dealer in the Knoxville area.
Might want to try them out.
Please read this thread:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25481&highlight=Napa+oil+filter
IMHO you would be far safer to take the NAPA Filter back and order the MANN Filter Online or check with your local Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
Won't be a cheap as the NAPA Gold filter, but it will protect your engine a whole lot better.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Billet

Roger, yes I have been going to freightliner of Knoxville. I had them service trans and I had them program a new key I ordered there.
I guess I will just go there and buy oil and filters. Can change myself
Thanks

Billet

Got it. I went back to local NAPA store and spoke with owner. Will have Wednesday. Ordered MANN filter as well

2008 2500 170 HT

wmlog

Billet,
Are you going to Freightliner of Knoxville?
Is there perhaps a Mercedes Benz authorized Sprinter dealer in the Knoxville area.
Might want to try them out.
Please read this thread:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25481&highlight=Napa+oil+filter
IMHO you would be far safer to take the NAPA Filter back and order the MANN Filter Online or check with your local Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
Won't be a cheap as the NAPA Gold filter, but it will protect your engine a whole lot better.
Hope this helps,
Roger
The NAPA filter might be a MANN filter, the same as a Hengst filter.

:idunno:

Billet

Mobile 1 esp. 5.99qt at NAPA. Mann Filer 6.00. Changed here at home myself......Priceless.
Dealer quoted 290.00 for oil change. Go figure.

2008 2500 170 HT

sailquik

Billet,
You wrote:
"Mobile 1 esp. 5.99qt at NAPA"
Was this Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 Formula M..... or something else?
What number MANN FILTER did you use?
Inquiring minds would like "the rest of the story"!
Roger

T-Montana

I picked up a bunch at NAPA this week. Definetely the ESP M 5W-40. I triple checked. Had a filter so didn't buy one but if only $6 for Mann will go get a couple of those also.

Amsol and Valvoline also have oils that meet 229.51 and, usually are less expensive than Mobile 1.
The Amsoil that lists meeting 229.51 requirements is the Low-SAPS AEL and mid-SAPS AFL. AEL is available in 5W30. Not published on the spec sheet is Sulphated Ash, but that is 0.60% (*). AFL is available in 5W40 and the unpublished ash number is 0.79% (*).

From what I can mine from the web MB 229.51 requires ash content be below 0.80% or what is referred to as mid-SAPS by a number of lubricant producers.

*From Amsoil tech support.

Top Bottom