How much oil should I b using per 500 miles

With the proper MB scan tool there is a fairly easy, but somewhat coarse test routine for compression using cranking speed. That may give an idea if the compression on a cylinder(s) is low as compared to the others.

vic

frathouse

I sort of got the oil problem fixed, I just decided to quit worrying about it. Problem solved! I just go on down to Tractor Supply and purchase 5 gallon buckets of oil for $45 and keep filling the engine. My van is now super reliable, every time I hit the key she takes right off. I've made three, 2,000+ mile road trips this summer and its not given me one problem. I take a 5 gallon bucket and a 2.5 gallon jug, both full, and hit the road. Van gets 20 mpg if I drive 60 mph or 75 mph. It does burn through the oil faster at higher speeds I noticed. I've decided to drive it until it breaks or smokes so bad I can't see the car behind me. Then I'll Ebay whats left for $1 and buy a newer van. I just hit 540,000 miles on my last trip.

Sprinter SS

This post had me cracking up...awesome on so many levels!

So, how long does it take to go thru a 5 gallon bucket of oil!!!
That's a whole new mindset of consumption!

frathouse

2000 miles down the interstate uses between 6 and 7 gallons, around 75 miles/quart. Going easy on it back and forth to town/in town I get at least 150 miles/quart. What sucks on the interstate is when the oil low light comes on the cruise control quits working properly. I suppose the van is just trying to make me uncomfortable so I pull over and fill her up again. Usually pull over around half tank of fuel to fill up the oil, then with a couple fuel bars left I fill the fuel and oil again. Sometimes I just overfill by a couple quarts so I can drive longer. That causes a oil high light to come on which also messes up the cruise control, but only for about 75 miles.

Sprinter SS

Well, truly you never need to change the oil with that much "turn-over".

It will probably run like that for a long time still. That is crazy consumption, wonder where it is all going? Out the tail pipe?

lindenengineering

High oil consumption should be investigated!
Apart from the obvious like engine wear the crankcase breather on earlier models (found on the passengers side valve cover) has a habit of rupturing its diaphragm and blowing oil into the induction tract.
The other can be oil carry over across the turbo. K&N filters when neglected or poorly serviced create a high depression in the induction tract which doesn't help!

I have one in the shop that came from another shop who flung their hands up in surrender!
Even tore off the cat and hollowed it out! And with a no code condition!
Clouds of blue and white & MORE blue smoke! Even fogged out the missus in the back office! Got a cussing!:rolleyes:

Base lining the engine (which should have been done in the first place) I found the turbo impeller and shaft sheered off! Crankcase oil was pouring into the turbo snail housing and into the engine where it was being burnt--quite spectacular! Emptied the crankcase it did!

Retired the truck to a stall for repair with the missus still cussing about the stink in the office!:rolleyes:

She smells acrid diesel, I smell green money:thumbup:
Dennis

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Running a 2007 and up on any oil that isn't 229.51 approved is just adding to the problems. What do you think happens to the crankcase pressure inside the engine when the emission system fouls up from the excess additives in non 299.51 oil? Guess what excess crankcase pressure can cause?

Unless somethings has changed today...there is no Rotella (or anything at TSC) that is 229.51 approved. Just because it says it is emission friendly oil...means nothing to the MB emission system. It has much higher requirements for friendship.

I suspect you are loooooong past this being fixable without a re-build and suspect the previous owner neglected/destroyed this for you.

Studio718

I have a 07 with 300k Miles that burns about 2 gallons every 800 miles.

Changed the turbo, changed the seals, changed the cooler, dpf, egr.....

I'm down $4800 from the mechanic + parts and still today.......after driving it all day from NY to MD and back.

" engine oil low, turn off engine!!!! ".

I'm at witts end with this van.

No codes nothing, runs like a new van and all but just burns oil.
No smoke also.

Sprinter SS

Running a 2007 and up on any oil that isn't 229.51 approved is just adding to the problems. What do you think happens to the crankcase pressure inside the engine when the emission system fouls up from the excess additives in non 299.51 oil? Guess what excess crankcase pressure can cause?

Unless somethings has changed today...there is no Rotella (or anything at TSC) that is 229.51 approved. Just because it says it is emission friendly oil...means nothing to the MB emission system. It has much higher requirements for friendship.

I suspect you are loooooong past this being fixable without a re-build and suspect the previous owner neglected/destroyed this for you.
Something tells me when you are using "gallons" of oil the spec of the oil may not matter!

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Wow! At that rate, no wonder the fuel consumption is low. I would begin to suspect the fuel pump is drawing half of it's supply from the oil sump :bounce:

Or the turbo is blowing engine oil into the intake manifold. I think I read earlier the dpf was already gutted, so clogging and back-pressure are no longer an issue.

I just wonder how sufficient sensors got disabled to allow it to run under these conditions.

ps Facetious reply - all puns intended

frathouse

Studio, just noticed you mentioned driving 'all day' and don't see any smoke. Stupid question maybe but have you driven much at night yet? I owned my van a couple months before I was out in it at night. I too thought my van didn't smoke, the cars' headlights behind me at night illuminate a never ending cloud of smoke.

Studio718

Studio, just noticed you mentioned driving 'all day' and don't see any smoke. Stupid question maybe but have you driven much at night yet? I owned my van a couple months before I was out in it at night. I too thought my van didn't smoke, the cars' headlights behind me at night illuminate a never ending cloud of smoke.
Going to take it back to the shop when I get back for the 4th time.
drove to Upstate, NY ( canadian border ) with no issue. used one gallon of oil.
drove to westminster, MD with no issues also.

van runs and boosts fine just the oil consumption issue that noone can make sense of.

frathouse

My sweet day of release has arrived! My sprinter earned me enough $$ for a new van. As ugly as she is, my short, high, GAS Promaster is growing on me. No more freaky diesel issues to deal with. If your looking for a kinda-sorta decent van try Ebay. Search for the cheapest sprinter on there and get yourself a bargin! As my friend Neal Boortz would say, AMF, AMF to everything Sprinter for the rest of my life, lol.

Top Bottom