How much oil should I b using per 500 miles

icarus

911s were not too hard to build! Just getting the cam chains timed was a pain on the old ones.

Icarus

has anyone addressed the smoke upon pulling away for the first 1/4 mile? I thought "blue smoke" was attributed to rich gas in the supply-not applicable here. Does excess diesel cause the same thing? Is this smoke only on pulling away on cold mornings or also on warm days?

frathouse

I have yet to own this van on anything close to a warm day. It seems like it only smokes on the first warmup of the day. Occasionally at a long stop light it will smoke when I pull away, but I'm starting to think that is due to oil building up on top of my motor then spilling over the back onto the exhaust when I pull away. The color is blueish/blackish. Also I'm getting diesel on top of the fuel filter. I replaced the filter and all three fuel lines attached to it but its still happening. Guess I need to also replace the O ring on that sensor which goes down into the filter.

frathouse

That's fantastic trayscott. Glad to hear your numbers, hopefully this thread and what we learn on it will be useful to you as well when you reach 500k miles and start going through excessive oil. Thanks for the input

ECU

My brother has a fleet. Over half of the sprinters are over 500,000 and still going strong. I posted a picture of a motor teardown at 520,000. There was still honing on the cylinder walls.

frathouse

Fun day yesterday. Got the turbo and intake off. Turbo came off a lot easier once I removed the rear crossmember and tilted the engine/trans up/down and disconnected the DPF. There is a ton of play in the butterfly linkage. One in particular opens at a rate of maybe 20 degrees less than the others because the round socket was so worn.

dnshaf

Fun day yesterday. Got the turbo and intake off. Turbo came off a lot easier once I removed the rear crossmember and tilted the engine/trans up/down and disconnected the DPF. There is a ton of play in the butterfly linkage. One in particular opens at a rate of maybe 20 degrees less than the others because the round socket was so worn.
I would expect that, given the mileage. Still no word on a rebuild kit? Why MB made these in plastic??? How much buildup do you have inside the intakes?? Like I said, Europarts SD.
Dan

frathouse

Still no option for a rebuild kit, got my intakes ordered today. I also pulled apart that oil separator thing. The rubber diaphragm was hard and had about a 3/4" slit in it so got one of those also. If some of those butterflies aren't opening all the way then what's happening to the extra air not being allowed into the chamber? Is it possible that some fumes are being forced back out through the intake system? When I drive with my windows down I get fumes in the cab so I thought maybe some fumes were floating around under the hood. I already fixed the seal for my cabin air filter and that stopped most of the fumes getting in with the heat on. Just now only when the window goes down I get fumes inside. The buildup wasn't too bad, more than I want to see but I expected more with 500k.

Sprinter SS

Still no option for a rebuild kit, got my intakes ordered today. I also pulled apart that oil separator thing. The rubber diaphragm was hard and had about a 3/4" slit in it so got one of those also. If some of those butterflies aren't opening all the way then what's happening to the extra air not being allowed into the chamber? Is it possible that some fumes are being forced back out through the intake system? When I drive with my windows down I get fumes in the cab so I thought maybe some fumes were floating around under the hood. I already fixed the seal for my cabin air filter and that stopped most of the fumes getting in with the heat on. Just now only when the window goes down I get fumes inside. The buildup wasn't too bad, more than I want to see but I expected more with 500k.
Frat house, you are going to be in good shape when you are all done. The "separator " you mentioned was probably a large factor in your consumption. If the rubber is torn or hardened it will allow oil mist in large slugs to intake. Was the egr gummed up?

frathouse

Yeah a lot of soot inside EGR. Also the big pipe which has a large butterfly at the bottom had a ton of soot from where it entered the intakes back down about 8". Still working on getting it all apart and clean. I think I'll poke my bore scope down into the glowplug holes and take some pics down in there. And also down the intake ports.

frathouse

Got my apart today. The bottom where there is 3 blades which rotate to open looked as if they had not opened in a couple hundred thousand miles. There was so much soot on it that when I moved it with my screwdriver it scraped off a layer of soot on the housing under the blades. Also the cooler itself was almost completely blocked off. There was only a spot the size of a nickel in the middle that wasn't clogged. The van basically ran fine as far as I could tell before I took everything apart. Since I had my ECM tuned to delete regens and EGR is there any need to even replace those parts? They look as though they have been inoperable for some time anyway. Would not using a full synthetic oil for a few hundred thousand miles contribute to that much soot buildup? Thanks

Sprinter SS

Frat house, I think the non synthetic could cause additional soot, but that leaky demister/separator probably was the culprit along with egr blockage. Was the oil cooler seals appear to be leaking? Are they notably smaller in diameter?

Are your new seals a purple color?

frathouse

I could see a pool of oil down in the valley before I started taking off the turbo. The old seals are orange, the new ones purple. Not any difference in diameter but the old ones are thinner/flattened and hard.

frathouse

So I put on a new oil separator thing with the brittle bladder, blocked off my egr, ripped out my swirl valvles with pliers,... I wanted to try that before spendin 1300 replacing them,,... new oil cooler with O rings, and another tune to delete the swirl valves and stuff... Just took it out for about a 300 mile drive this week and I was very pleased with the performance until the oil light came back on. So instead of 1 quart per 200 miles I am now at 1 quart per 300 miles. Used Sprinter anyone? Cheap.. I have a little oil in my turbo tube between the turbo and resonator.. Is the turbo using all the oil, or the rings??? I don't see much smoke in my mirrors, but I did have someone follow me and they said I stunk. Am I down to putting in new rings? Whats that cost,, $500, for parts? My fuel economy is around 23, which I like until I figure in the oil consumption. It doesn't have a puddle under it in the garage, any ideas? I love the way this thing drives compared to driving the promaster, plenty of power and a much more comfy driving position, but im bout ready to drop some serious cash on a new ride.

frathouse

So I finally drove my van at night. Took it on about a 500 mile trip. Now I never noticed much smoke behind me during the day, but at night I do now see smoke in my mirror from the headlights of the poor, choking people behind me. Not so much at cruising speed but more so upon acceleration. Is the turbo possibly the culprit? The rings, or something else? What would be a good test to perform next to pinpoint it? Thanks

Top Bottom