How much oil should I b using per 500 miles

frathouse

My 08 diesel with 525,000 miles runs great, smokes a little while warming up. I start her up and let her idle for 10 minutes before I get going. The first quarter mile theres a bit of blue smoke behind me and a little slow shifting. But after that it looks good behind me all day. I've only had my van about 1300 miles but oil consumption seems to be almost a quart every 150 miles. I could be a little off on my calculations but not much. Once I got her home I changed the oil and today I've just finished off my first 4 quart jug of Rotella. At this rate I'll never need to do a full oil change,, just a new oil filter every 10,000 miles.

6cyclone6

That is excessive consumption. 1 quart every 1500 miles is excessive as well. Is it leaking as well, or just burning it?

frathouse

There isn't a puddle under it, but then again I don't let it run in one spot for very long. The motor does have a fair amount of oil on it, I can't see where it is leaking from, maybe valve cover gaskets? looks like about an equal amount of leakage on both sides of the motor. Not really any puddle where it sits at night in my shed, so I'm guessing its only leaking while running. I thought maybe the last owner may have spilled a lot of oil while adding more but its starting to look like a leak somewhere. Any common leaky spots on this motor I need to scrutinize?

frathouse

Now that I think about it I do remember seeing quite a few dark brown spots in the snow in my driveway where I would do a 3 point turn to get it backed into my shed. I just shrugged it off as dirty slushy snow falling off my van. Maybe it was oil, I should probably don my face shield and a light and lay under it for a bit while its running.

frathouse

Thanks robbin but that's not exactly useful info. Two different engines and we don't know your miles. Please help by addressing my questions. Thanks again.

dodger413

my 2008 has 28000 miles. it burns no oil. never add any between oil changes.

i had to add 1 quart before 1st oil change when new. never added any between oil changes since.

you oil consumption IS excessive. by far.

icarus

Warming it up by idling an '08 is a bad idea for a number of reasons. Consider, firing up, and driving gently for the first few miles.

Do an oil analasis, and do a exhaust gas test. Sounds like you are getting close to needing a rebuild.

Icarus

dnshaf

You might check the oil cooler, its under the fuel filter and oil would leak off the back of the motor onto the tranny, there are weep holes it goes into. Does it run hot? or does it throw codes? I would be interested in what you find.
Dan

chads

I had a old ford gas van that ate oil like that or worse about a qt. 30 to 35 miles.
It would smoke really heavy at stop signs.
I would have to add a quart every day after work and maybe two once a week.
After 3 weeks I started to put used oil in it as the oil was getting expensive.
I found that the holes going back to the oil pan thru the block from the heads were plugged with sludge.
I pulled the valve covers and ran a rod thru them and replaced the valve seals not sure if that is the correct name and the heavy smoke stopped.
After that I added a quart of oil about every 4 tanks of gas.
I drove it about a year after that and it always used about the same amount of oil till I got rid of it.

Someone said to run a qt of tranny fluid to clean engine out a bit. I guess the sludge let loose a little too fast and it plugged the oil return ports for me.
I later found changing the oil every couple weeks on a dirty engine is pretty good to get them cleaned up.

Some people say that the restore additive will help a worn engine but not sure if it does.
On these engines I would think the turbo oil seal is bad.
We had that problem on some tractors and they would go thru a couple gallons a day and smoke a lot till we could get them in to get fixed.

Chad

sailquik

frathouse,
First, why are you using Rotella oil....which weight Rotella and which formula Rotella.
Is it full synthetic?
Yes, you have a major oil leak somewhere. I've had 4 OM-642's and never added even on drop of
Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 Formula M full synthetic between the 10,000 mile oil change intervals.
Does the Rotella oil you are using list Mercedes Benz Approval # 229.51 (Low SPAsh engine oil for use on diesels with
particulate filters.
As suggested your are not doing you engine any favor by letting it idle to warm up.
Why....because it's a diesel and diesels really don't create any internal heat at idle.
This causes lots of sludgy deposits on the cold internal engine components.
They were designed (and so was your engine management system) for you to get in, turn the key to the 2nd
position (where all the dash lights come on) and wait for the glow plug light to extinguish (takes < 30 seconds, even
@ 0 deg. F and below) then turn the key to engage the starter.
The engine will idle @ about twice the normal hot idle RPM (somewhere ~ 1500 RPM) and it will quickly settle down to
near the hot idle RPM of 680.
Your engine is designed and your engine management is tuned so that you simply drive away at this point.
Don't hammer anything, but you don't have to drive it like there's an egg under your foot on throttle either.
Just drive normally and it will warm up very quickly.
The transmission will delay your upshifts to ~2800 RPM...it's designed to do this to get heat in the engine quickly to
reduce your cold start emissions profile.
Also as suggested, for it to leak that badly, one of the first places to look is the O'ring seal/gasket (it's a very funny looking
tandem O'ring from what I've seen) under the oil cooler on the LH side of your engine.
If it leaks, you get a lot of oil running off the outside of our engine.
As suggested, might be time to get your codes read, and have the engine's compression checked.
You may have damaged it significantly by leaving it idling when cold.
Hope this helps,
Roger

frathouse

Hey dodger you do mean 280,000 miles, correct? 28k seems low for an 08. Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm curious to see what other 3.0 engines are using.

frathouse

dnshaf, it does have some codes and check engine light stays on as does the radiator light. It is full of antifreeze. What temp would hot be? There isn't a water temp gauge. I'll crawl under and check the oil cooler and write down the codes. Thanks.

frathouse

Chad, not sure about putting additives/tranny fluid down the pipe, but at the rate its consuming what can it hurt? I've replaced the air seals on both sides of the turbo but didn't even thing about inspecting the oil seal. When I changed the orange air seal I noticed the little impeller fan on the turbo had a bunch of little nicks in the blades. Would the grit which caused the blades to become worn have damaged the turbo oil seal? Thanks

sailquik

frathouse,
The oil cooler is up on the top of the LH bank of 3 cylinders.
Roger

frathouse

dodger, n n n no, but most people wouldn't think anything with only 28k would use a drop of oil anyway so why do I need to know that since you've changed oil 3 times you haven't needed to add any? At 4700 miles a year that diesel premium will pay for itself in a blistering 40 years. Good choice. Thanks

dnshaf

I would say hot is in the 230-250 range, and as Roger stated the orings on the oil cooler look like an 8 and there 2 of them, you cant see the oil cooler unless you strip the top down, as far as I know. If your tranny sides are wet with oil and the tranny pan, wipe them down and take it for a nice drive, if its the cooler it will be wet again where you wiped it off. There is a specific "drain area" that comes off the driver side of the tranny housing, so look at that left side especially. Don't know if someone has posted any photos of that but I would look into it. If the coolant light tells you your coolant is low and you can see that it is not, then I would check the float in the reservoir, sometimes they stick. if you get a Scan Gauge or something like it you could read codes and watch the temp.
Dan

chads

Yeah I did the tranny fluid on advise from a mechanic. Not sure if it will generally work but if you try it I would think a 1/4 or 1/2 qt would be enough to start.
I have heard of guys using kerosene too but not sure how that would turn out.
If you have a leak it would be better to fix the leak before putting additives in there.
On the turbo seal I am not sure what causes failure I'm thinking heat, you may ask around to see if overheating caused the turbo damage.
Also If you use the wrong oil it can sludge up and the turbo does not get enough oil. I am thinking it will overheat and mess up stuff. I would check to see if the oil is up to spec.
Not sure here at all but if some of the emission stuff if clogged or broken could that effect oil consumption?
If you take the dipstick out when it's running and get a lot of blow by or oil coming out you may have ring or piston problem.
Chad

Last edited:

frathouse

Roger thanks for the great input. I have only had the van a few weeks so I probably haven't damaged it much. I got it with 523,750 miles and have no history on it other than a one owner delivery van. I didn't know that about first A.M. driving and thought I was being hard on it revving it up to 2600 to get it to shift. No more idling in the morning, got it. Also the more I work on the van the more I learn about the previous owner. I took off the DPF cause I wanted to retune my motor and do away with it.. The DPF already had a large hole beat down through the middle of it. So I guess the previous owner, fleet type, has learned its just cheaper maybe when the DPF gets clogged to beat the guts out of it. Again I have no history on it so the DPF may have been gutted a few hundred thousand miles ago. I am using the regular Rotella triple T oil cause that's what was in a jug between the front seats when I bought it and since I discovered the gutted DPF I figured it no longer mattered. The o ring will be the first thing I look at, Thanks.

Top Bottom