Who traveled the farthest to pick up a Sprinter?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I towed a Sprinter from Auburn, AL to Philadelphia, PA -900 miles and another Sprinter I towed from Martinsburg WV to Philadelphia -200 miles. I towed them to the most competent Sprinter mechanic I know in the Philadelphia area- ME! If you total that, it's 1100 miles. If you add to that the fact that i had to fly to Alabama (another 900 miles) and I had to drive back and forth to WV 3 times (1200 miles!) to get the Sprinter back to Philly, we are talking 3200 miles for two Sprinters! (man, I must be crazy)
*the top photo is of the Alabama Sprinter after I did all the work to it
*the bottom photo is of my current Sprinter on the first towing attempt from WV to bring the white 3500 back to Philly
(I only drove about 100 miles to get the current Sprinter)
Here are some photos of getting the Alabama Sprinter: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14535&highlight=uhaul

Attachments

Last edited:

drew502

Clearly not the farthest, but I flew one-way to LAX and drove back to Bend, OR which is about 800 miles. It was good excuse to drive a big chunk of the PCH. Here's a couple of pics from the trip: Dashboard and the Sprinter @ Pebble Beach.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lizard 1

Flew from Columbus, OH to Burbank, CA. Drove from there to Santa Baraba and then drove the Sprinter home. Total miles were @ 2700 miles. Of that, 247 were not put on the sprinter...

All for this ol girl:

cahaak

I picked my van up in Houston to drive it back to MN, a bit over 1200 miles. Only problem was that I had to make the trip twice. Flew down there first with my wife to pick up the van, stayed with a friend and had a good visit. Commenced the deal on the van and then my friend had arranged to have it detailed. All good and we left for the ride home only to be hit from behind in an accident in Conroe, TX and the van was totaled. (got a ride back down to Houston and flew home the next day). Bought the van back and had it fixed down there and my wife told me I needed to go down an get it by myself this time - she did not want to go through that again. Flew back down to get the van and drove back solo in one shot about 1200 miles. I myself was also thinking of stopping, but when I got into northern Iowa and Southern MN and it was -3F, I knew I had to push on. Finally got back about 2:30 am. I thought that was going to be my record for solo driving in one day, but I did 1457 miles earlier this spring on a drive out to Palm Springs from MN with a few of my kids.

Van is still working out great as that was back in 2010 and I now have another almost 100K on the van. Hope to get about another 200K out of it before I put it to rest.

Chris

ElWhoppo

Drove to Atlanta from Taylorsville, Ga, aboute 50 mile. Took a 2000 mi flight to Las Vegas to pick up 170" MB Sprinter that had been returned from Hawaii to port in LA then transferred to Vegas as a Fleet trade in. So add 2479 mi boat trip plus 280 to Las Vegas and then another 2000 mi home. Van is a 2007 passenger with 164,326 miles. Was a island shuttle.

project_x

I flew from Ottawa to Edmonton, drove 2 1/2 hours to Cold Lake, where I picked up my new to me Sprinter.
I then drove 3400kms (2125miles) home.

Onefin

Bought in Milwaukee Friday morning and just got back today from driving back out to San Diego.
Tons of traffic and road construction took away my sleeping time!
Slept in van....that is one of the reasons why I bought a van.
2150 miles.
2014 4cyl low crew.
Love it even more than I expected to.

Umnak

We bought a used sportsmobile sprinter in August from Sportsmobile Texas. I flew there to close the deal and arrange to have solar, a diesel heater and a reconfigured platform bed installed. Will return in December to make the first of two trips north. The first from Austin to Joshua Tree then up the coast on Rt 1 and 101 to Seattle then from their to Juneau via the Cassiar and Alaska Highways, and a final 100 miles on the ferry. So, approximately 5,500 miles.

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/sets/72157645682662186/
for images of the Sportsmobile and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/sets/72157627216926067/
for images of Seattle to Skagway

Russ61

3158 miles from Greencastle, PA to home outside Tacoma, WA after flying into Dulles Airport, DC. Had to ship several boxes of gear to arrive at dealership immediately prior to my arrival....UPS had me nervous the whole time! 8 day trip including flight, 6 days actual "on the road" after orientation, purchase closing.

In July we picked up our LTV Free Spirit at an RV dealer in Langley BC. It was the only new one we could find for sale. If we came straight home it would have been about 1800 kms. We made a holiday of it and went a little further. We flew to Abbotsford (near Langley) with a bunch of camping gear and a dog (we took as much as we could and stay within the 50 lb. limit). The salesman from dealership picked us up at the airport and dropped us off at our new van.

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
I towed a Sprinter from Auburn, AL to Philadelphia, PA -900 miles and another Sprinter I towed from Martinsburg WV to Philadelphia -200 miles. I towed them to the most competent Sprinter mechanic I know in the Philadelphia area- ME! If you total that, it's 1100 miles. If you add to that the fact that i had to fly to Alabama (another 900 miles) and I had to drive back and forth to WV 3 times (1200 miles!) to get the Sprinter back to Philly, we are talking 3200 miles for two Sprinters! (man, I must be crazy)
*the top photo is of the Alabama Sprinter after I did all the work to it
*the bottom photo is of my current Sprinter on the first towing attempt from WV to bring the white 3500 back to Philly
(I only drove about 100 miles to get the current Sprinter)
Here are some photos of getting the Alabama Sprinter: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14535&highlight=uhaul
What did the wheels come from on the top pic sprinter?

Umnak

I posted this earlier this fall

"We bought a used sportsmobile sprinter in August from Sportsmobile Texas. I flew there to close the deal and arrange to have solar, a diesel heater and a reconfigured platform bed installed. Will return in December to make the first of two trips north. The first from Austin to Joshua Tree then up the coast on Rt 1 and 101 to Seattle then from their to Juneau via the Cassiar and Alaska Highways, and a final 100 miles on the ferry. So, approximately 5,500 miles."​

We just finished the first part of the trip having driven 3500 miles from Austin to just south of Seattle. It was an amazing trip and confirms the choice of the 2006 Sportsmobile which now has just over 17,000 miles!

Will head back down here in May for the final portion of the trip.

Photographs of the journey on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/sets/72157647681823703/

marquisvns

Beautiful pictures Umnak!

2359 Miles from Wixom Michigan to Pasadena California, definitely not the farthest, but considering this being our first RV and the fact that I flew my wife and 2.5 and 4 year old for the journey, it was nevertheless an exciting and pleasurable adventure in our 2013 Fleetwood Tioga 24D.

derekhski

Beautiful pictures Umnak!

2359 Miles from Wixom Michigan to Pasadena California, definitely not the farthest, but considering this being our first RV and the fact that I flew my wife and 2.5 and 4 year old for the journey, it was nevertheless an exciting and pleasurable adventure in our 2013 Fleetwood Tioga 24D.
Sounds like a great adventure...
You should add some pic's of the small's to our Kids and Sprinters page.

marquisvns

Sounds like a great adventure...
You should add some pic's of the small's to our Kids and Sprinters page.
It was Derek, and thanks for the invite. Loved the drive through beautiful Missouri and went to a couple of caverns. The fridge stopped working along with other things when we were driving through Nevada, gotta be the proximity to Area 51 :lol:

Love our Sprinter Tioga!

Cheers,
Barry

kayakkingoz

We got ours from Perth in Western Australia & drove it home to Newcastle NSW. Following the southern coast to Melbourne then straight up the Hume HWY.
6500 km,s extra on the clock when we got home.
We done that coz couldnt find one with right km,s & price near us. So as neither of us had been that side of Australia before, we thought we would take advantage of an adventure at the same time. Great trip

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
We got ours from Perth in Western Australia & drove it home to Newcastle NSW. Following the southern coast to Melbourne then straight up the Hume HWY.
6500 km,s extra on the clock when we got home.
We done that coz couldnt find one with right km,s & price near us. So as neither of us had been that side of Australia before, we thought we would take advantage of an adventure at the same time. Great trip
OMG. That's over 4,000 miles!!!

So can I claim the 'Wooden Spoon' award here for the least mileage?

We travelled all of 30 miles to collect our MotorHome (RV to you) in 2008 from a fairly local dealer.

We bought it on the Easter Saturday after having sat in it on the dealers forecourt for an hour while it snowed outside. It gave us a good opportunity to look inside and check everything out. We fell in love with the layout and it was crowned by having the three pointed star on the bonnet (Hood). We got to test drive it the following Friday and picked it up a week later exactly on it's fourth birthday. We turned over 12,000 miles on the way home and now have 24,000 miles on the clock almost seven years later.

We have looked at many others over the years since (all on Sprinter chassis I hasten to add) but have never found one we would change our pride and joy for.

Keith.

derekhski

OMG. That's over 4,000 miles!!!

So can I claim the 'Wooden Spoon' award here for the least mileage?

We travelled all of 30 miles to collect our MotorHome (RV to you) in 2008 from a fairly local dealer.

Keith.
Yes, Keith you get the wooden spoon, and the award for least Carbon foot print. Long or short its all an adventure. Vantopia is not far away from anywhere? (right?).

Great hearing from all of you, whether you set a record or not.

Derekelliott

We were circumnavigating in our boat, got as far as Puarto Vallarta in Mexico when I had some health issues, so we sold the boat & purchased our 2010 Pleasure Way MB Sprinter 3500 that was in the 'Keys' in Florida. The financial transaction was consummated on line. I left my wife in Puarto Vallarta as we had to finish storing, packing & various other commitments & flew to San Diego as I needed to renew my CA driving license, then flew to Miami, slept in the baggage area overnight then caught the shuttle to Marathon in the Keys where I picked up the RV. My wife & I arranged to meet at New Orleans airport 4 days after I'd picked up the RV. Before I'd driven off the Keyes the oil light came on. Having established it was too much oil (the previous owner had just done an oil change) it took me a day+ to drain some oil out. I now had two days to get from Florida to Louisiana. That's when I found out that for some reason these things are governed at 83mph (you don't want to keep my wife waiting, for any reason). Since meeting on time at NO airport we have had nothing but pleasure & adventure in our mobile home. Traveled over 4,000 miles to pick up the RV then another 1,100 miles to meet my wife & start our new life.

Top Bottom