Urgent Check Required

lindenengineering

This applies to all 906/NCV3 Sprinters.
Check the flanged rubber seal at the turbo inlet. I am seeing the flanged edge parting company with body of the sleeve doing damage to the turbo impellor.
The fragments are being ingested into the turbo causing loss of boost and impellor damage.

The first sign is a limp mode and CEL.
The code is P150200 turbo boost drift.

I have one today that has chewed up the impellor rendering it scrap. I bet bits have gone "walkies" throught the whole intake/charge cooler, its a rip out & check!
Turbo is $2162 reason enough to check!

Part number of a new compensating ring A 000 094 00 51--get one just in case.
Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
By "906" you mean post 2007 NCV3 Sprinters?

Do the later models have the up graded compensating ring?

lindenengineering

Jon
Yes except this time its the flange that lets go, not tearing of the sleeve section.

The later sleeve is made of neoprene (BUNA) not silicon rubber but seems to go hard and tear.
Again reason to check for a problem before it gets expensive.
Cheers Dennis

72chevy4x4

if chunks get ingested into the impeller and passed through the exducer, might they land in the hoses/intercooler necessitating removal of the IC for cleaning or possibly inspection and cleaning?

Is this something I can check for without voiding the warranty? (my van is due mid-to-late April). How far into its life mileage-wise does this start to happen? Am I correct in assuming that MB is either not aware of or not concerned about this problem?

lindenengineering

I don't think they are concerned.
I have this 2011 "906 2500" with 58K on the clock and a failed turbo.
According to the dealer the warranty ran out at 36K so an expensive failure.

Ostensibly the inlet snake pipe duct running from the MAF sensor to the turbo inlet can be easily slipped loose in service and during an air filter replacement. Care needs to be taken when installing or disturbing the inlet tube

To be honest the arrangement with this stepper rubber bush is very amateur. I do this when building a prototype like a 300 TD into a Series Landrover then make a alum sleeve with O rings. As I said to the lady MB service writer (local dealer ) I called today If I didn't know better this is very Mopar!:rolleyes:

Certainly in my former life as a zone rep this would have been subject for an Advance Servicing Bulletin & Problem Report for issuance at the next factory engineering meeting. But I don't think anyone does this anymore in the industry unless a class action law suit is about to take place.
Dennis

This reinforces my decision to buy the MB extended warranty. I plan to make an appointment with my dealer's Sprinter service man and bring this up with him, and again when I come in for its first service. Would I void the warranty if I check for this myself?

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Maybe it's time for a reporting to NTSB. This directly affects drivability and may leave a drives stranded or in a dangerous situation, or not.

lindenengineering

This reinforces my decision to buy the MB extended warranty. I plan to make an appointment with my dealer's Sprinter service man and bring this up with him, and again when I come in for its first service. Would I void the warranty if I check for this myself?
I would have then check it AND have it recorded on a J/C---Then if it fails with catastrophic results you can point the finger at them.
Dennis

RT.SS

This applies to all 906/NCV3 Sprinters.
Check the flanged rubber seal at the turbo inlet. I am seeing the flanged edge parting company with body of the sleeve doing damage to the turbo impellor.
The fragments are being ingested into the turbo causing loss of boost and impellor damage.
Hi Dennis, are you referring to the orange seal ring shown below? I noticed that you have a different part number, or it is a new/improved seal? I do carry a spare as some MB dealer don't stock them.

lindenengineering

RT.SS
Basically I am refering to the same thing, except you have the older version in silicon rubber.
Being not very tear resistant the sheeth tends to split.

The later one in BUNA neoprene is much more resistant to tearing but goes hard and the flange end stop on the bush tears and gets ingested into the turbo impellor.

I have provided later part number in the opening post but I would be erring on using the silicon rubber bush when it was fitted on Dodge vehicles which you have as a spare.

Hope that helps
Dennis

RT.SS

RT.SS
Basically I am refering to the same thing, except you have the older version in silicon rubber.
Being not very tear resistant the sheeth tends to split.

The later one in BUNA neoprene is much more resistant to tearing but goes hard and the flange end stop on the bush tears and gets ingested into the turbo impellor.

I have provided later part number in the opening post but I would be erring on using the silicon rubber bush when it was fitted on Dodge vehicles which you have as a spare.

Hope that helps
Dennis
My 2010 Sprinter came with same orange seal ring (as pictured). I would imagine the later seal is black in color. Is the new and older seal interchangeable? Or do you have to replace the plastic air intake hose as well? Do you recommend changing it to the new seal?

The sound of the rubber seal breaking up and being sucked into the turbo is worst than the older seal splitting, at least when it split it can be easily detected as the air intake hose starts to feel loose from the turbo intake…just a thought.

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thank you.

Last edited:

Mrdi

A picture of the area where this seal is located would be helpful when I request service at the dealer.
The writers often are in a fog regarding the Sprinters.
The new part is MB, A 000 094 00 51 ?
Correct?
This part will fit 2007 and beyond?

lindenengineering

To explain further :-
The part in question is an adapter ring which seals the inlet hose coming out of the air cleaner and attached to the turbo inlet throat. The adapter ring in question is located on the turbo throat end.

The one I mentioned is BLACK in color and upon observation I believe is neoprene, having been superseded from the red silicon style adapter used on earlier applications.
Jon has posted earlier in this thread of that particular piece.

Having discussed this issue with one local dealer they deem it to be outside the warranty coverage sphere, hence the reason why I posted this observation as an urgent reason to conduct an over check, either as a DIY or servicing center activity.

I consider it part of the engine not emission system.

I personally consider this to be a very poorly executed build condition which is prone to insecurity and misplacement often exacerbated by routine filter service/changing and the disturbance of the hose which is made of a semi hard plastic extrusion. By its very concept prone to insecurity and detachment.
Dennis
Dennis

To explain further :-
... prone to insecurity and detachment.
Dennis
Dennis
:hmmm:

Sounds like my youngest sister off her meds...

Sorry. Back to topic.

Dennis
Dennis,
Thanks for the heads up. Good info. :thumbup:

Edit: Question.
Will this failure cause the lack of throttle response I've seen mentioned in some NCV3 threads? vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom