Trailer OEM Module Questions

Garball

Renovator/Builder
Maybe I should put the question out there like this:
Does anyone have a factory module/wiring setup in an 07/08 that actually works on all trailers? Does everyone need to rig something up to make the trailer lights work? If so, is there a way to simply use a relay to power the running lights that is turned on by the factory running light wire?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Yes, works on mine. I have a 07 Sprinter with factory hitch and trailer module. When I first plugged my wells cargo and dump trailer, I had similar issues. Problem was the trailer module. Replacement (under warranty) fixed the issues.

Gary

aradsma

So, I ordered the new module and tried it out... No change! Lights still do the same funny things on multiple trailers. Is it possible I received another bad module? Is there any way to test them? Very frustrating... I need lights asap, so I will probably just put in a modulite.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
So, I ordered the new module and tried it out... No change! Lights still do the same funny things on multiple trailers. Is it possible I received another bad module?
Parts do come bad from the factory, but so often that is not the problem. I'd more suspect one of your existing relays or connectors having problems.

I don't recall the NCV3 setup, but I do remember that some OEM trailer light control systems have a nest of relays. Some were mounted in the passenger side rear tail light area. (Left hand drive Sprinters.) I think that the location and design can vary though. To make matters worse, I may be confusing T1N with NCV3. :idunno:

Is there any way to test them?
My bet is that you need a dealership tool like SDS.

Very frustrating... I need lights asap, so I will probably just put in a modulite.

Not that anyone asked...

Given your problems trying to resolve this I think that a powered trailer light module is a very reasonable and cost effective solution. If you had Trailer Stability available then I wouldn't suggest it as a good solution, but your 2007 doesn't have that.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, unpowered modules are a problem. Not so with powered modules. A powered trailer light module uses thief current signals off the Sprinter circuits to trigger power from a separate source to the trailer lights. The Sprinter will never see the module. I've been using mine for over 6 years now with no Sprinter light or control problems.

Here's some info from a recent PM I sent.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ield-keywords=Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power

If you do the "See if it fits" on Amazon it will say it doesn't. I don't know why. It's working great for me.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/46365.html?gclid=CNa1p4etnL0CFe5aMgodPSIAhA

All the wires tap into the rear harness area. You will need to run a 12 volt power wire. I just ran it along with the #10 AWG brake wire I installed.

I stuck the converter in the cavity above the driver side tail light. I just wedged it into place with some closed cell foam insulation.

I went with a timed trailer brake controller rather than a proportional unit because the smaller size tucked in nicely next to the sterring wheel right side. A proportional brake controller (Prodigy?) provides better performamnce though.

vic

aradsma

Thanks for the help!

I think I will go with a powered module, and leave it at that. I don't want to spend a few hundred more chasing down a phantom problem.

If anyone can test out this module, that might be handy to know if it is a good module or garbage.

aradsma

Okay, so I am just taking a closer look at the module I ordered and the one I received. Can anyone tell me if they are the same thing:

What I ordered:
Dodge part 68047076AA

What I received:
MB part 169 545 39 32(02)

If I google the MB part, it says it is obsolete - was I sent an old part or something from a wrecker?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
...Can anyone tell me if they are the same thing:

What I ordered:
Dodge part 68047076AA

What I received:
MB part 169 545 39 32(02)

If I google the MB part, it says it is obsolete - was I sent an old part or something from a wrecker?
I've noticed that as a general rule the original Dodge part numbers seem to have the AA suffix. Subsequent updated parts generally will have an AB or similar suffix.

As an example, the Dodge Crossfire/Sprinter MB236.10 tranny fluid originally was "AA". It updated to "AB"
for MB236.12, but in that case I read that any further revision (MB236.14?) would still maintain an "AB" suffix. So it isn't 100%.

Your part is not necessarily used, but may be NOS or New Old Stock. That can make a difference. Dennis Lindenengineering has pointed out that the BTS aka G14 Boost Air Temperature Sensor has gotten at least a couple updates on design.

I can't say whether it is critical to your particular part.

Hope this helps. vic

Krash

Just my quick 2 cents. I ordered my '07 with factory trailer package. Went to hook up - Hitch is there, no connector, wiring, module, nothing. Not sure what I paid for. Put in a power module as suggested and it's been working fine ever since. Brake controller was a little more interesting. I think I had to relay (or diode) the brake light signal output to the controller. (I'm old and can't remember that far back.) Just watch that or you can screw up the ABS.

sawyertom

I have a small new Wells Cargo trailer with properly operating running lights when hooked up to my GM vehicle. When connected to my 2014 Roadtrek Adventurous the running lights have a slow flash pattern. I am new to the forum, new to Sprinters, and at the start of the troubleshooting process. By chance, does anyone have quick solution?

Top Bottom