DPF sensor fix

Jules5

Jules
Hi

I have read elsewhere about removing a (UK) DPF, connecting the sensor pipes together then using a resistor to tell the sensor that there is still a DPF present. Does anyone have any information about this ? (and the value of the resistor needed)

Thanks

Jules

I have not heard anything about this for dpf but I have heard of it being done to eliminate the egr. I can see several problems with doing it for dpf, first off if the computer still thinks there is a dpf you will still have regen cycles. Also this could cause problems with the def system and its components not to mention the issue with passing emission tests if they are done in your area

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip> not to mention mention the issue with passing emission tests if they are done in your area
The OP is in Derbyshire County in England. UK drivers have a very comprehensive road worthiness inspection they must pass to keep driving a given vehicle.

The guide to maintaining roadworthy vehicles cites 50 inspection points including "Parking brake performance (judged in %)," "size of tyres, and are the tyres serviceable," "aim of headlamps," "does the horn work."

Exhaust emissions equipment will be looked at, but I don't remember if they actually test the gasses emitted from the tail pipe.

They even do roadside spot checks or did when I was there.

-Jon

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hi

I have read elsewhere about removing a (UK) DPF, connecting the sensor pipes together then using a resistor to tell the sensor that there is still a DPF present. Does anyone have any information about this ? (and the value of the resistor needed)

Thanks

Jules
I'm not sure what you'd get just telling the sensor that the DPF is present and working well.

I don't know much about EU Sprinters.

Regeneration is intended to convert soot in the filter into ash. To do this, it adds fuel to the exhaust system to super-heat the soot.

I can tell you that my US 906.993 regenerates every 700 miles regardless of constriction. If your Sprinter is the same, you would need to modify your Sprinters programming to stop that behavior.

-Jon

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Be cautious. From March in the UK the annual test will also include having complete and operative DPFs where they are fitted by the manufacturer.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Be cautious. From March in the UK the annual test will also include having complete and operative DPFs where they are fitted by the manufacturer.
That would mean saying goodbye to your MOT, true?

Would the authorities re-instate if everything was put back to normal, or would the van be irrevocably banished from the roadways (even the "b" roads)?

-Jon

Jules, Probably not a good idea..... to bypass the emissions controls....
Agreed, at least in the way he described.

One of my concerns with doing it this way would be the other components of the exhaust system. On my 2011 I have two SCR canisters in the exhaust behind the DPF. I would fear that just taking the DPF out would soon clog those up and they work in conjunction with the DEF system so now your messing with that too. Just too many interconnected systems to try to just shut one off. Better to leave it all there in my opinion unless your willing to start from scratch and tear it all off.

Last edited:

Top Bottom