2005 rear axle problem/noise

05highroof

Ever since I bought my 05 2500 about 7k miles ago with now 143k on the clock it's had a noise in the drive train.Sort of a dull thump/vibration. The noise is more apparent on very smooth roads harder to detect on bumpy roads do to the road noise.
The noise is also louder when I load the left rear wheel IE right turn and almost goes away when I load the right wheel(left turn)
This made me think it was the left wheel bearing. Today I pulled the left axle and the bearing seems fine. I did not take the bearing apart but it turned very smooth and does not seem to be an issue.
So now I'm thinking it must be coming from the ring and pinion maybe a bad carrier bearing? Have not pulled the cover off the rear yet.Would it make sense if the left carrier bearing was going bad that the noise would change as the load on the wheels changed?
Also looking at the service manual I read this.Is this true?

NOTE: Axle seals, axle bearings, pinion seal and
differential cover are the only serviceble compo-
nents. If differential is damaged/noisy the axle must
be replaced.
Also I did check the drive shaft for damage and it seems to rotate true and all the U-joints seem to be fine also.

What should my next course of action be?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
This made me think it was the left wheel bearing. Today I pulled the left axle and the bearing seems fine. I did not take the bearing apart but it turned very smooth and does not seem to be an issue.
When you say, "pulled the axle," does that mean you removed the bearing cap and pulled out the axle shaft? Did any fluid fall out when you removed the axle shaft?

05highroof

Yes I did remove the bearing cap and slid the axle out of the housing.
I jacked the side of the rear I was pulling the axle from higher then the other so the fluid would not run out.I did spill a small amount maybe an oz or so.
P.s sorry for posting in wrong section,I should know better by now.:idunno:

05highroof

I pulled the cover off the differential to see what was going on inside and every thing seems to be ok.The fluid needed to be changed anyway so the effort was not a total waste. I still cant locate the source of the noise.Could it be a failing u-joint making this noise? The thing that throws me is that the noise almost goes away when I'm in a left turn IE loading the right wheels.
Would a failing u-joint be sensitive to which wheels are being loaded (left turn /right turn)?
Also the noise takes about 5 to 10 minutes to appear once I begin driving so the problem seems to be temperature sensitive.
I don't see any visible problems with the tires but I think I will rotate them just to make sure they are not the problem.
Any Ideas?:thinking:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Sounds like it's coming from the front end (left wheel), especially when you're putting a right turn load on it.

05highroof

I checked the front wheel bearings and they seem to be ok.
The thing is I really feel the vibration in my feet,If it was the front wheel wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel as well?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You may be right about the steering wheel.

Here's another thing to look at...

I know that most of the RSN that we experience emanates from this center bearing that is attached to the body.

05highroof

I've got plenty of RSN. The RSN vibration is a much faster/higher pitch then my mystery noise.
The noise I'm trying to locate is constant and is in time with vehicle speed.
The noise is more symptomatic of a failing u-joint but the thing that throws me off is that the noise almost goes away in a right turn.

zigzagguzzi

05 Interstate, N. Fl.
This might be way off, but could it be the steering gear assy? Mine was replaced under warranty [04 model] . zz

05highroof

I think I figured it out.FIRST I must say in my own defense that my truck is empty most of the time and it's like a giant echo chamber with sounds bouncing everywhere. After driving it today I was convinced that there was NO WAY the tires could be making the noise but just to be sure I decided to rotate them when I got home.BTW this is the first time I tried any repairs with the truck at operating temp. Much to my surprise I found that the front left tire had major flat spots in the tread.I cant explain why I guess the tire is starting to come apart/deform.
The tires are not E rated tires.They are uniroyal Laredo suv tires that came with the truck.I have 5 new OEM tire I've been waiting to put on but the Uni's seem to be working ok and have plenty of tread so I figured I'd wait till spring to change them.
So I swap the front tires and take it for a test drive and sure enough the noise switched sides.
Live and learn........................:laughing:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
If you have flat spots and or eneven tire wear on a front tire then it's a shock maybe but most likely camber is out which means geeting an imported camber kit or replace defective strut.
Sounds too faimilar to another members problem.
Richard.
TIRE OFFSET.jpg

05highroof

Maybe with the money I saved not having to rebuild/replace my rear axle I'll treat my sprinter to a round of Konis!!!!!

Top Bottom