2014 Great West Vans Legend SE

pattonsr

Great looking Sprinter. I love the customized control panel. I see a Blue Sky controller. How much solar did you find roof space for? And where did they put the Outback VFX2812M?

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Great looking Sprinter. I love the customized control panel. I see a Blue Sky controller. How much solar did you find roof space for? And where did they put the Outback VFX2812M?
Under the rear seat mounted on the passenger-side wall. Here is a picture taken with the seat positioned all the way forward:

Outback.jpg

(love that tri-fold seat/bed!)

Davydd

Re: It's Here!

The kitchen cabinet was shortened by 4" to make room for my big feet while in bed. They eliminated the column of tiny drawers, and made the big ones extra wide:

View attachment 61119
They shortened the cabinet but looks as if they left the countertop the same only cantilevering a bit more. That feature makes me nervous in mine with a shorter cantilever because I had to replace the countertop when it developed a crack in front of the stove cutout. They have since put more lip in front of the stove. It was originally almost flush with the cabinet. I try to be careful not to put my hand down on that cantilever part.

I'm not sure what happened but maybe it was because I got one of the last Legends built by the original owner but my wheel cowlings were squared off so they were useful for putting things on top of them like cartons and such and just looked nicer. Probably a cost savings measure.

And I see they are still using that shag carpeting for covering. :D:

Did you pick up your Legend in Winfield?

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge

snip....

And I see they are still using that shag carpeting for covering. :D:
Same shag in my 2008 Legend, although it's also on the floor in mine, starting at the end of the cabinets. GWV must have purchased a 100y supply of that stuff on clearance :smilewink:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

Same shag in my 2008 Legend, although it's also on the floor in mine, starting at the end of the cabinets. GWV must have purchased a 100y supply of that stuff on clearance :smilewink:
I think "shag" is a little harsh. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they use high pile stuff because it hides the screw heads and lets them do invisible seams around the curves. I am glad we deleted it from the floor, though.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

They shortened the cabinet but looks as if they left the countertop the same only cantilevering a bit more. That feature makes me nervous in mine with a shorter cantilever because I had to replace the countertop when it developed a crack in front of the stove cutout. They have since put more lip in front of the stove. It was originally almost flush with the cabinet. I try to be careful not to put my hand down on that cantilever part.
Thanks for the warning. We will be careful.

Did you pick up your Legend in Winfield?
Not exactly. We had a pickup trip scheduled, but it wasn't ready so we ended up visiting the plant and then flying home. They delivered the vehicle to our home about a week later without charge.

Their new facility is still a work in progress, but they are building out a headquarters/factory/showroom that should be a real showplace when done.

pattonsr

I see a Blue Sky controller. How many solar panels are installed?

I think you said previously you would have two battery compartments. What kind of batteries and how many amps did you end up with?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I see a Blue Sky controller. How many solar panels are installed?
Just one. 130W.

I think you said previously you would have two battery compartments. What kind of batteries and how many amps did you end up with?
Two group 31. Something like 210A/h total, I believe. They fill the compartments, but there is some height left.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Very nice.I did not know that anyone aside from Sportsmobile allowed any choices.
GWV and their more upscale cousin Advanced RV will both let you tweak their (very similar) basic designs within reason. Sportsmobile, Creative Mobile Interiors a handful of smaller players will do clean-slate custom work.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Very nice.I did not know that anyone aside from Sportsmobile allowed any choices.
Actually MOST RV vendors will be happy to modify, especially if you are ordering it built, mods done at the dealer are more expensive and often don't hold up as well, they are not building RVs all day the way the factory is. I have seen people order desks where a sofa was, or add dishwashers that were never offered. If you have the time to wait most manufacturers want to work with you to get you exactly the RV you want. They just build the lowest common denominator, these options make MOST people happy and give a good bang for the buck, but a more expensive inverter, water pump, or fridge would do a better job. Most people don't want to pay more than they have to, so you get the single stage converter, or no water filter, but you can always add the better stuff. Why not order it up front and not replace working items you already paid for.

-Randy

Davydd

Randy,

I am not sure what your experience is with Class Bs but there are only a few major converters and most don't give you any options other than what they set up and publish. For instance, try buying a Winnebago ERA 70A that comes with a second TV mounted on a kitchen countertop pedestal and getting it shipped without. It hasn't happened yet with at least four owners I know personally. I haven't heard of anyone getting a factory installed second auxiliary battery in a Pleasure-way Plateau TS. You are limited to just a few, sometimes just one, exterior paint color out of 24 available from Mercedes Benz with most. It goes on and on like that. Roadtrek seems to have the broadest set of options from which to choose from. If you want an LTV Free Spirit SS you get one choice of color - silver.

Sportsmobile is quasi custom in that they have a large array of systems and you can custom design any floor plan you want providing the modules (bathrooms for instance) fit. Would they go total custom? Haven't seen one yet.

Morehead Designs is a total custom converter but I haven't seen much published or on the road. I imagine if someone wanted total custom they could find other companies like Morehead.

Great West Vans has been a small volume converter. The original owner was a hands on experimenter. He set the bar and was willing to make changes. The new owner carried on that tradition so far. The move from Winnipeg to Winfield is big. With Avanti's first American RV it shows some flexibility and some inflexibility compared to my 2011 model which was one of the last produced by the original owner. But Great West Vans has shown a willingness to make design changes working directly with the customer. They've designed a wheel chair accessible Legend for instance. That is really something few do as they insist everything go through a dealer. What I don't know, and Avanti will have to answer, is whether a dealer was involved. If not, that would be a change as I had to have an agreement with a dealer in order to get changes made on mine.

Advanced RV works directly with the customer. There is no dealer involved. They do have a base model plan design, cabinetry style (convex and concave curved corners), pretty much one bathroom, etc. If you have an idea, they will custom work with you to create it. How far will they bend? Probably a lot if the idea was good. But still, you are locked into their processes and standards. So far they have shown me their decisions are based on what works or is best for the installation and not what is least expensive or marketable. Of course, you are going to pay for that. As for finishes, I had total freedom to pick the exterior color and trim, any Mercedes Benz Sprinter option, the cabinets, the countertop color and material, the wall fabric, the ceiling fabric, the trim color and material, the flooring, the curtains, the upholstery, heck the upholstery stitching and on and on. They have settled on a heating and hot water system, AC, etc., but solar, generator, propane or not, batteries, etc. can be total custom with them. I'm trusting their knowledge on this but have a rudimentary understanding of my needs to go to an all electric, propaneless system. Roadtrek calls theirs E-trek. Advanced RV calls it ecOasis. It was being developed before Roadtrek coincidentally sprung from custom design requests of Great West Vans by the Advanced RV owner back in 2011. Advanced RV sprung into existence because of this very issue of getting what you want.

There are limits I guess in getting what you want. It is kind of like deciding which Class B meets your expectations most and going from there. I doubt, even with Advanced RV or Great West Vans, you could go to them and say I like the Roadtrek RS Adventurous floor plan and get it. So, if you want that, you are locked into Roadtrek, or its clone plan copiers, Airstream and Winnebago.

pickles

Hi Avanti

Have you been camping yet? Anxious to hear you experiences and how you like camping in it compared to the Airstream

Thanks Kate

Davydd

Lake Regions RVs in Ramsey, MN (Twin Cities) got their first Great West Van Legend EX in that was made in Winfield, Alabama.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
We've returned from our first real trip in our new Legend - a 4-night tour through eastern PA, Maryland and West Virginia, staying at state park and national forest campgrounds. Here is our initial review:

2014 Sprinter chassis:
--Flawless. The 4-cylinder/7-speed drivetrain blew us away. Refined, quiet and very capable. I started as a skeptic about the 4. We ended up with one instead of a 6 due to a clerical error and we are thanking our lucky stars that this happened. The little engine is at least as powerful as our former T1N 5-cylinder and far more refined and quiet. Power is adequate for everything we asked it to do, even in the mountains of WVa. I'd never go back.
--Favorite new feature: Blind Spot Assist. This is a side radar thing that lights up a red triangle in your side mirrors if there is a vehicle beside you in the next lane. It warns you if you turn on the turn signals when a lane change would be ill-advised. Yes, I know how to set my mirrors properly in order to eliminate the blind spots. Nonetheless, I quickly came to value the extra set of "eyes". Recommended.
--Runner up: Lane Assist. This one beeps if you start to drift out of your lane without first turning on the turn signal. Sounds annoying, I know. But it is very well-executed and genuinely helpful. It makes a lot of subtle decisions, such as adjusting its tolerances depending on the width of the lane (cuts you a break if the lane is very narrow), and overlooks crossing the inside line on a tight turn. This feature is interesting as a quantification of various driver distractions. I noticed that it is very difficult to fiddle with the radio or GPS without drifting a bit.
--The Becker Map Pilot nav system is interesting. It takes a kind of minimalist approach to navigation, with fewer features and options than they typical Japanese interfaces that I am familiar with. Definitely takes getting used to, and there are plusses and minuses, but I warmed to it during the trip. The routing quality was good, and the voice and visual directions were very clear. There is no touch screen, though, and I did miss that. Entering addresses with the little knob is a pain. Voice recognition is above average, but not perfect. I really like the current speed-limit display on the screen. You can set it up so that the nice lady-in-the-box will warn you if you exceed the speed limit by a user-specified amount. Should save a ticket or two. Really like the navigation summary in the dashboard display.

2014 GWV Legend coach:
--We went with Great West primarily due to their reputation for basic build quality. We were not disappointed. The coachwork is solid, robust and quiet. Compared to our previous Airstream Interstate the difference is like night and day. Everything done with solid wood or 1/2" plywood, all properly screwed together. Not a piece of fiberboard, staple, or rivet to be found. As a result, it is very quiet and solid. The only serious rattle was traced to the plastic tray in the Keurig coffeemaker (which doesn't really count, since we were warned upon delivery to remove it for travel). This is a job for a piece of velcro.
--We are very happy with the layout. Our erstwhile Interstate was a front lounge model and we do miss all the wide-open space up front, but the Legend rear-bed layout is definitely more practical. Nice to not have to crawl out of the head-side of the bed for a nighttime bathroom visit.
--Love the tri-fold bed (a GWV hallmark--although recently cloned by Advanced RV). Very comfortable and easy to configure for day or night. We did have a minor malfunction: One evening, the bed stopped half-way down and wouldn't budge. I crawled underneath to investigate and quickly discovered that a nut had come off a little machine bolt in a locking mechanism, causing the bolt to fall out. I couldn't find the nut, so I held it in place to complete the bed-down cycle. After a quick trip to Tractor Supply the next morning, all was well.
--GWV advertises themselves as having "the most storage space in any B-van". Don't know if that is literally true, but there is a LOT of space. After years of squeezing all our stuff into our Interstate, we had space to spare, and with far more convenience. We had planned on two hanging closets (one in the front and one in the rear). But, our semi-cusom front closet has turned out to be so roomy that we don't really need the back one, so I put in some wire shelving and turned it into a pantry. Real luxury. Oh, and there are acres of space under the free-span rear sofa-bed. We got a long, wheeled under-bed plastic tray and used it for all our shoes. Works great and there is still plenty of room.
--Our custom Outback 2800 watt inverter is awesome. Quiet and works seamlessly. With our two big coach batteries it has no trouble at all running the air conditioner. It is obviously not going to run it for long periods, but it worked great for cooling down the coach after an afternoon in a sunny parking lot.
--We really didn't get to try out the Espar. Too hot for the furnace, and we had shore power and so ran the on-demad water heater on 120VAC. The water was hot and reliable.
--Bathroom is far roomier and more comfortable than we were used to. I was worried that the sink on the toilet side of the bath would be a pain, but it is actually quite convenient, at least for males.
--In the Legend, the window shades are mounted horizontally rather than vertically. This is fine, but unfortunately the ones in the back were mounted such that they slid from the rear to the front. The problem with this is that we like to leave the shades open a crack near our heads while sleeping. So, I flipped the shades around so they open from front to rear (an easy job). Problem solved.
--The rear shades were mounted a little sloppily and did not close completely. Another straightforward adjustment, but shouldn't have been necessary. There were a couple of small issues like this--I suspect related to the move to Alabama and a new workforce. Still, many fewer workmanship issues than with the Interstate. I am sure that GWV would correct all this stuff under warranty, but it is easier to just do it myself.
--I am very pleased with my custom-designed control panel. The row of toggle switches (Inverter, Propane, Refrigerator, Electric Heat, DataComm Power, Media Power) permits very convenient and intuitive direct control of all the major systems, and permits fine-tunedf DC load management. I am no luddite, and do a lot of home-automation projects. But, in a B-van, I think that direct, physical controls make a lot more sense than the menu-based touch panels that others are starting to use. Much more convenient and no custom logic boards that will be impossible to replace in the future.
--We specified a ShurFlo pressure accumulator tank in the fresh water system, and it is great. Eliminates banging when the pump runs--makes it almost silent. These things should be standard.
--The huge NovaKool refrigerator is great. Glad we went with a 12V-only compressor unit. Much better performing than our old absorption unit and no "keep it level" nonsense.

So, not perfect, but a very, very good shake down cruise. No leaks, no squeaks, no serious problems. Second time B-van owners are notoriously fussy, and we are no exception. We will continue to make tweaks, but the Legend has proven to be a great choice for us. Not sure how we could have done better.

Here's the van at Seneca Rocks:

Legend at Seneca Rocks.jpg

Last edited:

UKDude

A great write-up, Avanti, and the van looks very pretty in white.
Do you know if GWV would accommodate requests to go all electric - that is eliminate propane altogether and add multiple solar panels and additional battery capacity? That would be a major deciding factor for me.
Also, what is the insulation like, particularly in the roof and walls?
Thanks, Peter

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Do you know if GWV would accommodate requests to go all electric - that is eliminate propane altogether and add multiple solar panels and additional battery capacity? That would be a major deciding factor for me.
Also, what is the insulation like, particularly in the roof and walls?
Thanks, Peter
Well, I obviously can't speak for them. Here's my guess, though:
--Deleting propane should be no problem at all--we considered doing so but ultimately decided that there is little downside having it as a backup. In our van, the only propane consumers are the genset and the cooktop. Obviously, both are expendable.
--Extra batteries are easy if you to go with the EX. The extra length gives them room for four battery compartments rather than the two in the SE. I suppose you could give up the "trunk" compartment in the back, but it is very nice. Then again, if you delete the genset... Dunno.
--They upsized the solar for us, but we still only have a single panel. There is not a huge amount of extra room on ours. If you gave up the TV antenna, that would free up significant space, though.
--From what I can see, they use loose fiberglass insulation. Seems to be reasonably thorough in the places that I sampled.

Give Dave a call. There are limits to what the are interested in doing of course, but your requests don't sound too extreme.

Davydd

Avanti,

The Legend EX that Lake Regions RVs just got in looked to have 4 battery compartments but no storage trunk even though the battery boxes were front to back with each other on the side. I should have checked to see if they decided to put the spare tire under there. I also did not see evidence of solar on the roof unless they are disguising it flush with the roof away from the edges. I'm having my B serviced there so will be going back soon to take a second look.

One thing I don't like about the side sliding day/night accordion curtain is you block off the vents when fully closed whether you reverse the direction or not. Our 2005 Pleasure-way had the same type of curtains but they came down vertical in direction so you could leave the vent windows open and clear of the curtain.

The insulation is fiber glass in matt blanket form but there are areas where it is not installed unless they've improved. It is not inside the wire chases that run front to back at the ceiling and wall juncture. If you pull out a ceiling light you'll see the fit is not thorough. Those are some areas I noticed. Fortunately, if you now have all LED you won't need to be replacing halogen bulbs.

They eliminated the sliding sink/vanity I have in mine. That is good and bad. The sink/vanity was huge and pulled out to where you could stand at it comfortably. Their solution to permanently install the sink recessed in the corner is a tad awkward behind the toilet. That was an expedient solution without drastically changing the plumbing. The flexible drain hose with the sliding sink has been a vexing issue. I think I have finally fixed mine myself with better connections.

I'm on my third Sprinter Class B go around. This time I just passed Go and went to Advanced RV because there were things I think I can improve on beyond what Great West Van even with their flexibility was just not going to meet.

I am eliminating the genset and the propane. It will eliminate considerable weight. Our genset has not been a problem but it is just one more maintenance item that I rarely used (14 hours so far in 65,000 miles of touring with our Legend.) I should be able to go to all electric and still have full use of all my appliances and AC outlets and if I continue my historic practice of touring I should be free of ever needing to decide if I should stop at an electrical hookup campsite. Even so, there will still be many opportunities for electrical hookup campsites since most state parks in my area have them. My theory about air conditioning is if I need it I shouldn't have planned the trip. If you can't live outside with a Class B you are really punishing yourself. Also, we have enjoyed the full ventilation the back doors screen and side sliding door screen provided when parked. Knock on wood, our air conditioning use has been minimal with that philosophy. Still, I think I could go as long as 4 hours with our proposed setup. I doubt I ever would but it is nice to know you could have a mid day lunch or miscellaneous stop capability with pet on board.

I notice that the Legend is billed as "Legend by Sterling RV" and "GWVan by Sterling RV." Great West Van appears to be in the process of being relegated from company name to just a brand. That makes sense considering they've added Trillium trailers to their line. I understand some of the longtime expert workforce moved with the company, so it is not all new people.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Avanti,

The Legend EX that Lake Regions RVs just got in looked to have 4 battery compartments but no storage trunk even though the battery boxes were front to back with each other on the side. I should have checked to see if they decided to put the spare tire under there.
Yes. None of the EXs that I've seen have the trunk. I think they mount the genset back there for some reason. Perhaps if one were to delete it, the trunk could be restored(?).
I also did not see evidence of solar on the roof unless they are disguising it flush with the roof away from the edges. I'm having my B serviced there so will be going back soon to take a second look.
Solar is listed on the website as "optional" on all models, so perhaps it isn't there. I though that they usually included them on spec units, but maybe not. Let us know what you find out.
One thing I don't like about the side sliding day/night accordion curtain is you block off the vents when fully closed whether you reverse the direction or not.
Yes, that is the main reason why we reversed them. The circulation is ok if you leave the curtains open a bit (even if vertical), and we wanted the air at our heads, not our feet!
The insulation is fiber glass in matt blanket form but there are areas where it is not installed unless they've improved. It is not inside the wire chases that run front to back at the ceiling and wall juncture. If you pull out a ceiling light you'll see the fit is not thorough. Those are some areas I noticed. Fortunately, if you now have all LED you won't need to be replacing halogen bulbs.
I poked around a bit. All of the insulation I could see was loose fiberglass floss. Perhaps they use matt blankets for the large expanses, but I couldn't see any. I pulled a couple of the ceiling LEDs, and it seemed good, so perhaps they have improved. Probably depends on the individual installer.
They eliminated the sliding sink/vanity I have in mine. That is good and bad. The sink/vanity was huge and pulled out to where you could stand at it comfortably. Their solution to permanently install the sink recessed in the corner is a tad awkward behind the toilet.
I was worried about the sink, but as I said, I found it to be fine. Less turning around, and of course nothing is very far away in a B wet bath. :rolleyes: I might feel differently if I were a woman. My wife prefers the kitchen sink, anyway.
I am eliminating the genset and the propane. It will eliminate considerable weight. Our genset has not been a problem but it is just one more maintenance item that I rarely used (14 hours so far in 65,000 miles of touring with our Legend.)
This was a close call for us. We use our AC regularly, but usually only for short periods when we come back sweaty from a hike. In the end, we just couldn't see much cost to retaining the propane and genset. I might have reconsidered had I known in advance how well the AC runs on the Outback inverter, since short bursts are almost all we ever need.
I understand some of the longtime expert workforce moved with the company, so it is not all new people.
Yeah. The folks from Winfield call them the "crazy Canadians". :smirk:

P.S. -- Here's a picture of our "pantry". I remember you did something similar with yours. We decided to go with wire shelving. I also put LED lighting in both closets:

Pantry.jpg

Top Bottom