No more rumble, no more tachometer problems

lucian

I had a rumble noise every time I was driving around 2000rpm. Also my tachometer was moving up a line and come back every 5 seconds.

ALL FIXED!!!

I changed the transmission fluid and drained the torque converter.
The transmission pan was a medium difficulty.
- get a tarp, a aluminum pan sheet, glasses and old shirt
- fold the old gasket in the pan.
- you can pull on the filter if you want to fall in the pan
- the only way it comes out is turn anticlock towards the right as you standing under with your head towards the front of the van.

Torque Converter
- you have to remove the 4 bolts from the sway bar. Use one of those double jointed extension socket. Swat bar it will just float in there. There is a hole in the frame lined up with the TC converter. Put a screwdriver in it to tie up the sway bar. It will give you an room for an extra finger.
- you guys made me drive in the middle of the night to the store to rent a 32 and 36 socket to turn the engine. :bash: IT'S A 28 !!!! It is so easy a child can turn in. CLOCK WISE ONLY (as you seat and look at the engine from the front)
Those pictures are deceiving.:professor: You will see other bolts in there. Ignore them. Your bolt is the size of a no2 pencil.

- There will be no socket that will go in the hole
- I used an 90 degree whatever is called tool with a small locking pliers.
- ideal will be a long Z shape
- after I unlocked it i used an electric screwdriver extender ( that holds the scredriver bit) to extend the allen tool.
- I was ready for a stream of fluid gushing down. Nope. That is why the hole is very small. I left it from 2am to 7 am.
- I had 2 bottles from window fluid. I will measure the old fluid in one and put the same amount of fluid in the second.
- when all done I turned engine on and play with the shifter for about 5 minutes while holding the break pedal.

I was so scared !!!! Out of my mind. !!!!
The rumble was still there and a little of the tach.

THAN !!!!!

After about 50 miles of driving like it's stolen....complete silence.
Sprinter heaven my friends.

BTW. to remove the fuel filter you HAVE to remove the 3 bolts that hold that can. and you will have to replace the rings. I did mine in the parking lot at AutoZone. I rented a tool to remove the rings but I couldn't put them back. Don't buy that ****ty band with a screw. Get the one that the band has long hols in it. If you can't rotate the hose ,,,, it;s tight in there. Also put fuel in the filter. Fill it than dump some back. You will not be turning the can to much to spill.

The rubber ring keeps the sensor inside sooo tight. I got one of those tools to remove panels to twist to remove it.

If I can do it .... anybody could.

Pictures coming soon.

Thanx for all the help !
:thumbup:

Top Bottom