Start Error

Hambone

I'm getting a start error on cold mornings -below freezing. It's a 2005.

If I pull fuse 7 under the steering wheel for a few hours then try to start again when it warms up outside I can sometimes get it going but not always.

Checked battery, it's good. Tried disconnecting battery for an entire day, didn't help.

Towed it to the local dealer in Greensboro, NC, no codes detected by their equipment. They held it for four days and it started every day. I got it back last night and it wouldn't start this morning. I can see where they opened the dash and looked at the WSP/SKREEM, dash cover was a little out of place and not sitting flush. I have no idea why it started every day for them and works one in five days for me after I pull fuse 7.

Any ideas? Dead SKREEM? Has anyone tried the Immobilizer Emulators available from Poland or China?

This is my daily driver/kid hauler, this has been very frustrating.

Hambone

AHA!

Before any of you guys send your WSP out to get "fixed" at SOS or Williams try what I just did.

I pulled the WSP/SKREEM unit and pried it open (had to use two flat head screw drivers and a few dimes from the cup holder - you'll see what I mean if you try, lotsa clips). Pulled out the circuit board and used my heat gun to re-flow the solder. put heat all over the top of the board and little board attached to it vertically. I have no idea how long it took, not long, so be careful! I could see the solder get shiny and "wet" and took the heat off it. Actually, thought I might have gone too long, it was hot.

Waited for it to cool and put it back in the Sprinter.

It freakin started!!! Been starting for the past thirty minutes now with no issues.

No idea if it will last but this is the best result I have had so far.
I have re-flowed circuit boards with my heat gun before and they worked fine for a few months before having trouble again but that was in high heat areas with PC components. Hoping this will last awhile!

Anybody tried this?
http://www.noimmo.lt/equipment/params/181/

I can't quite get how it all works. It isn't clear to me if this is plug and play or you need to use a separate tool to adjust the ECU.
I don't understand it either. That said, in their eyes our role is to be customers, not designers.

Has your SKREEM interface failed again since the solder re-flow or are you just checking in case?

The Sprinter SKREEM units interaction and operation is really quite reliable overall. MB has DAS - Digital Authorization System. Sprinters aren't alone with security. I know that is easy for me to say as I'm not in your situation.

The description of the product looks good to me, but isn't that the purpose of marketing professionals? I didn't see a price.

Let's hope your heat gun did the job. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

Hambone

So far, so good...ish.

Been restarting every hour or so, had one hiccup where I got Start Error but on another attempt a few minutes later it started.
Fingers crossed

Hambone

Shoot, back to start error. The temp just dropped below freezing. Could that effect anything?

I'm considering a car until the Transit comes out!!! Somebody stop me.

This is my daily driver, I am so frustrated.

Hambone

I gotta wonder... How many merc techs are on this forum? Do we have any real MB lovers here that can help?

I'm entirely too stupid for this, obviously.
:(

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
If the display says start error, then it is the WSP as you call it. If it is temperature sensitive then a cold solder joint or loose connection is a distinct possibility.

I gotta wonder... How many merc techs are on this forum? Do we have any real MB lovers here that can help?

I'm entirely too stupid for this, obviously.
:(
I'm not a Sprinter tech.

I do remember that a 1994 Dodge Ram Van I once owned had a temperature sensitive ECM. It was solidy reliable for many years and then began giving no-start trouble when the ambient temperature dropped. I learned that if I just turned the key on for a few minutes it would start. I figure that powering the module caused a bit of heat to build up to "heal" the problem. I did some other testing which proved nothing. I finally replaced the ECM with a reman unit and all was well.

Temperature can definitely affect electronic components. Unfortunately temperature can also affect marginal electrical connections.

If the response to low temperature is consistent then you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm first the SKREEM and try starting. If that doesn't help then next warm the ECM before a start attempt. At least that may give you some direction.

Here's some SKREEM information. vic

084CanBusExchgSKREEM.jpg

087Skreem5.jpg

088Skreem5.jpg

089SkreemKeyFob5.jpg

090SkreemBlockDiag5.jpg

lindenengineering

I have had a few like this when the temperatures drop.

The module seems to be the issue but I did have one that had been "fettled" by Chad @ SOS about a year ago. Being just under warranty I shot it back to him, he in spite of tests (including the freezer test!) couldn't get it to fault out.

So he shot me over another PCM and Skreem module at no charge all "keyed" to the original keys. The Sprinter fired right up and has behaved itself and is currently being scudded around Texas.

What I will say is check the PCM interface socket connectors . Several observations have revealed PCM's hanging down off their mounts AND people leaving their windows open allowing rain water to pee all over the dashboard---which in turn wells up on the back sides of the sockets.
So take that info into account when looking for possible problem sources and of course two thumbs up to Chad @ SOS for customer support.
Refreshing.
Dennis

Hambone

Wow, thanks Aqua Puttana! Where is that info from, btw? I need to get one of those books!

Thanks Dennis, I will probably go that route now. I hear good things about those guys, was just hoping to fix it myself for nothing but time :)

Wow, thanks Aqua Puttana! Where is that info from, btw? I need to get one of those books!

... :)
This is an canned automated response.

The 2 each spiral bound books are titled:
2001 - 2006 VA Sprinter Body Electrical

2004 - 2006 VA Sprinter OM647 Diesel Fuel System

There is no ISDN number or other ID.

Jon said they came from Tech Authority. He also said they were expensive. You could contact Tech Authority and ask by title I suppose.

Tech Authority Website

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Country.aspx

On that site I selected "Dodge" and then used "Sprinter" as a search word figuring that would get all the hits.

The descriptions with the red color training manual for a picture seem to be like the spiral bound books I have. I didn't notice any VA series, but there was a VB gas engine training book.

There is a free book Jon pointed out to me here.
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemID=1022&catID=106

Use the flipbook link in the lower left.

Actually the fuel system CD which Doktor A started offering is the same format as my books and contains much of the same information. I recommend that book (on CD). Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A

Please don’t contact JD Caples (Jon) because he has no more information than I give here. He really does deserve mention and credit for giving me the books with the thought that I would help people by using them. The books just may not be available anymore?

Most times my attached info from the books start with the page number as a file name.

I often also use the commonly available Sprinter manuals. Max (Maxextz) has a thread with many resources listed. (Thanks Max!) I believe you may find what you need there.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8745

T1N Service Manuals and other good information is found here. Thanks goes to jmoller99 = Jens Moller.

http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

There is also information for NCV3 models posted by HappyFamilyVan here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10150

If you search within Sprinter-source I'm certain there are more resources.

Before anyone asks, I have been requested by others to copy them to PDF for distribution. I won't do that because I don't feel that was the intent of me receiving them. They are copyrighted material. I feel very comfortable with posting material here and there to help others with specific questions, but even that may be on the edge.

Sorry I don't have more. vic

A possible resource regarding information use.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Fair Use Notice
This Web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my efforts to advance understanding of educational, economic, and scientific issues, etc., of batteries and not for profit. I believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the United States Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this Web site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit educational purposes. For more information see: www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this Web site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Come back Jon Caples!!! We miss you. :cheers:

Last edited:

HeadyTeddy

I'm not sure if this is helps, but I have a 2005 that one day, out of the blue, was not starting. I tried everything I could think of, from removing and checking fuses, to banging on the started. I finally called AAA, and when the guy arrived with jumper cables in hand, I explained to him that I did not think that it was due to a lack of charge. He happened to have a 10mm wrench on him, so I tried something that I read on another forum. I removed the negative terminal connection and replaced it, and voila, it started. Pretty much every time my van doesn't start, this little trick works. It's worth a shot...

Hambone

I'm not sure if this is helps, but I have a 2005 that one day, out of the blue, was not starting. I tried everything I could think of, from removing and checking fuses, to banging on the started. I finally called AAA, and when the guy arrived with jumper cables in hand, I explained to him that I did not think that it was due to a lack of charge. He happened to have a 10mm wrench on him, so I tried something that I read on another forum. I removed the negative terminal connection and replaced it, and voila, it started. Pretty much every time my van doesn't start, this little trick works. It's worth a shot...

Thanks. I've done this, same results as taking power off the SKREEM. If I do this and the temp outside comes up, it'll start... sometimes.

Sending it to SOS.

Turbo John

Thanks. I've done this, same results as taking power off the SKREEM. If I do this and the temp outside comes up, it'll start... sometimes.

Sending it to SOS.
yea..........see my new thread about the Skreem.........I ams till Skreeming

Its not really cold in Florida but if it sits all night in 36 degree weather it will will not start in the Am.......

Do the disconnect dance and will start and will continue to do so all day long until the next morning.....

I have had the SOS 350 bill already............all my electrical in the truck looks good

But I did this dance for 1 year........owned this truck for 13 years and no a problem ever with this error code.

No its back to the same.....the SOS fix worked for 45 days is all

Hambone

Well, that's more than my one day fix. And, they said I'll have a year under warranty. Plenty of time to trade in the van :) ... Not sure if that warranty is transferable, though. I'll have to ask.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the Transit this summer!

Turbo John

Weather warmed up and the start error code did not come on..........should be a clue in there somewhere
Started right up

Hambone

Yeah, something about the cold weather destroys SKREEMS. Reflowing my SKREEM board worked for a bit but it wasn't a long term fix.

Got my stuff back from SOS last night. Installed and it started right off.
This morning in 9 degree temp, it started again! Thanks to SOS, they had a quick turn around and I am back on the road. I still wanna look into the Immo Emulator from that Polish company. If I keep this damn van... it's one thing after another with it.

Come on Ford, get that Transit out!

Top Bottom