Green Diesel Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo John

I am actually surprised from a conversation I just recently had with Keith from GDE.

He says he does not sell very many Sprinter tunes. I purchased his scanner and two tunes from him and I am amazed at the results.

I just posted on the mileage forum what I was able to do........went from 23 to 28 MPG on the highway.

But better than that...the part throttle performance is amazing and according to him...hope I got this correct Keith.........he took the boost out of it in one rpm and changed it to another and changed the pedal requirements........

If you ever want to give yourself a present...........but from GDE.....the best tune I ever experienced customer support as well !! :cheers:

Added by Aqua Puttana:

For future information. The trigger for any MB T1N software update comments is/was this voluntary recall notice letter. To date only NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 Freightliner Sprinters OM647 engine have received the letter. A letter from Dodge may be in the future. I believe that the Daimler Chrysler divorce may be delaying any notification. Freightliner is still associated with Daimler. vic

Just received this letter to update the ECU on my 2005. Was wondering if someone has had this done? I hate to take it to the dealer. The letter reads as follows.
Voluntary Recall Campaign 2016040001 Daimler Vans USA, LLC

November 2016

Dear Freightliner Sprinter Owner,

This notice is sent to you requesting that you bring your vehicle to your Authorized Freightliner Sprinter dealer as soon as possible.

In our continuing efforts to assure the optimal performance of Freightliner Sprinter products and the satisfaction of our customers, Daimler Vans USA, LLC, (DVUSA) has initiated 3 Voluntary Recall Campaign for certain Model Year 2004 - 2006 Sprinter vehicles to update the Engine Control Unit (ECU) software. Our records indicate that your vehicle is included in the population of affected vehicles.

Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Freightliner Sprinter vehicles, has determined that in the event of a Mass Air Flow (MAF) adaptation error, your vehicle's Malfunction indicator Lamp (MlL) might not illuminate, and the corresponding fault code will not be stored in the ECU as required by law.

To remedy this situation, an Authorized Freightliner Dealer will update the ECU software.

In order to ensure your vehicle is in compliance with emissions regulations and is covered by the full protection under the emission warranty provisions, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could be deemed as a lack of proper maintenance on your vehicle. This Recall Campaign does not cover any other components, and standard warranty terms and exclusions apply to those components.

An authorized Freightliner Sprinter dealer can update the ECU on your vehicle to correct the situation described above. This service will be provided free of charge. The working time required is approximately 3.3 hours. As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Freightllner Sprinter dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and may increase the required working time.

Please contact an authorized Freightllner dealer or other authorized dealer, for additional information and to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. To locate additional authorized dealers please see www.freightlinersprinterusa.com/find-dealer/. Please mention Recall Campaign #2016040001.

FOR CALIFORNIA ONLY: A Proof of Correction certificate shall be issued to you by the dealer (California only) showing that the vehicle has been repaired under the Recall. The certificate may be required by Department of Motor Vehicles as a condition of vehicle registration or operation.

If you are no longer the vehicle owner, or have a change of address, please complete the reverse side of this letter and return the complete letter in the enclosed envelope. if this is a leased vehicle and the lessor and registered owner receive this notice, please forward this information by first class mail to the lessee within 10 days to comply with Federal Regulations. If you have paid to have this recall condition corrected prior to this notice you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Please see the reverse side of this notice for details Please contact an authorized Freightliner Sprinter dea|er should you have any questions or encounter any difficulty regarding this recall. If a dealer is unable to remedy your situation please contact the Sprinter Customer Assistance Center at 1-877-762-8267.

We hope that you are enjoying your Freightliner Sprinter and we apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this issue.

Thanks
My contacts at MBenz tell me approx. 342 vehicles are involved. Doktor A

It would appear that more than the number mentioned above have been affected.

T1N Folks thinking of, or already having, tunes may want to read this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52197

... and don't go near a dealer for any service until you've worked out what's going to happen with GDE.

--dick
(if you're given a copy of your tune so you can re-burn it if necessary, i suppose you could go through the cycle of:
(a) go to dealer, get reprogrammed as MB/Frieghtliner wants it
(b) get recertification letter (if you're registered in California)
(c) re-burn ECU with your old GDE tune, bringing the Sprinter back to how you like it.

The only problem with that is that the "old tune" won't recognize some types of faults in the MAF. )

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
We worked to optimize the fuel economy using a 16-mode steady state test (rpm vs. load). The injection timing, pilot quantity, boost pressure, fuel pressure and air flow are all modified for each speed/load point to minimize fuel consumption. Most customers are realizing an improvement of 10-20% depending on vehicle speed. Fuel economy varies substantially on the Sprinter due to all the body configurations and available axle ratios. Our tune typically gives an increase of 2-4 mpg on average.

Our ECO tune also improves drivability, responsiveness, wide open throttle performance and the fun factor. The intake also not longer soots up and the engine oil will stay cleaner (less soot loading) due to less particulate production during combustion.

Most customers will recoup the cost of the tune in 25,000 miles or so. With this in mind, we think the GDE tune has very good value to the customer.

fdhamlin

I just had a look at the GDE site and I see no mention of the 2.7 T1N engine!

But you say you got one! What's up?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I just had a look at the GDE site and I see no mention of the 2.7 T1N engine!
But you say you got one! What's up?
Oh yes. I had the same question. For some reason, GDE doesn't feel it necessary to list the tunes to BOTH styles of engine. They only list the 3L V6, but if you click on the V6 tune, it takes you to a page that then lists both engines and you can pick the 2.7L option.
...maybe this is why they haven't gotten too many T1N tunes... :idunno:

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
Sorry about the incorrect reference on our website. I will get this updated to properly display the 2.7 L engine on 2004 -2006 model years. We definitely have tunes for both the 2.7 and 3.0.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
We worked to optimize the fuel economy using a 16-mode steady state test (rpm vs. load). The injection timing, pilot quantity, boost pressure, fuel pressure and air flow are all modified for each speed/load point to minimize fuel consumption. Most customers are realizing an improvement of 10-20% depending on vehicle speed. Fuel economy varies substantially on the Sprinter due to all the body configurations and available axle ratios. Our tune typically gives an increase of 2-4 mpg on average.

Our ECO tune also improves drivability, responsiveness, wide open throttle performance and the fun factor. The intake also not longer soots up and the engine oil will stay cleaner (less soot loading) due to less particulate production during combustion.

Most customers will recoup the cost of the tune in 25,000 miles or so. With this in mind, we think the GDE tune has very good value to the customer.
Couple of questions for you...

1) A few of my MB service centres inform me that a significant percentage of catastrophic failures to engine systems and components are occurring in engines with aftermarket tunes. Assuming none of these have occurred with your tunes, how have you managed to circumvent this.

2) "The intake also not longer soots up and the engine oil will stay cleaner (less soot loading) due to less particulate production during combustion." How exactly is this achieved via your tune?

Thanks!

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
Couple of questions for you...

1) A few of my MB service centres inform me that a significant percentage of catastrophic failures to engine systems and components are occurring in engines with aftermarket tunes. Assuming none of these have occurred with your tunes, how have you managed to circumvent this.

2) "The intake also not longer soots up and the engine oil will stay cleaner (less soot loading) due to less particulate production during combustion." How exactly is this achieved via your tune?

Thanks!
1. We do not exceed the EGT or cylinder pressure limits with our tunes and no one has experienced longevity issues.

2. No more EGR usage and injection timing/boost pressure mods help to reduce soot and provide a cleaner burn.

Thanks
GDE

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Before we had the tune in our Jeep CRDs we would have a map sensor that would coke up in a matter of months, after I got a tune I cleaned the sensor. A few years later and 30K miles I had to do some engine repair and I pulled the sensor to find it totally clean except for the CCV fumes that is nothing more then oil vapor. So I can attest no more crap in the intake with this tune. Another problem these Jeep CRDs had was the garbage getting in the oil was wiping out the OH cams and rocker rollers at about 100K miles. When I pull the head everything looked in great condition at 112K. :thumbup:

Before

After

Note, these are not actual pics of my sensor, but they are accurate.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
What bout 02 and 03 year sprinters does this tune work as well on them? Do You have a link to Your web site to gather more information about this particular. Thanks.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
1. We do not exceed the EGT or cylinder pressure limits with our tunes and no one has experienced longevity issues.

Curious here... Why wouldn't the vehicle manufacturer have tuned it this way from the factory then? At a minimum, it would make 'marketing' sense.

2. No more EGR usage ....

Does this imply the egr has been defeated... that is, the exhaust gases intended to 'burn' are now directed out the tail pipe?

Thanks
GDE
Thanks again!

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

In diesel engines...

Exhaust recirculated back into the cylinder can increase engine wear as carbon particulate wash past the rings and into the oil.[6]

Adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston.

EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR.[7]

[8] Particulate matter PM (mainly carbon) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions introduced by EGR. The most common is a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system which cleans the exhaust but reduces fuel efficiency.

By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power.

The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow, however, when combined with oil vapor from a PCV system, can cause buildup of sticky tar in the intake manifold and valves. It can also cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted.

Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[9]

EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[10]

Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[11]

:shifty:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
greendiesel do you guys deal with Canadians for sales too?
I am pretty sure a few Canadians in the Jeep CRD forums have the tunes.

Who knows, you might just want to keep the old Sprinter, I wish mine was 1 year older. :frown:

Trayscott

Ha Ha, these guys are a few minutes away from me in Michigan. When I get there and pick their brains I will let you know what I find out. Like to limit problems without cutting things apart aka DPF will see if that can happen...Scott

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
Orion,

1. You have the 3.0l engine in your sprinter. This same engine is used on several applications, most of them have higher output than the Sprinter. The Grand Cherokee stock tune pumps our 218hp. The new 3.0l released in a Merc application in Europe is pumping out 265 hp stock, the only difference is a new turbo. Mercedes has their reasons for detuning certain applications and we are not privy to that info.

2. EGR is not used and no error codes. All it does is shorten the life of your engine. EGR lowers NOX emissions and increases HC, CO, PM and CO2 emissions...the worst trade-off in the auto industry ever.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Orion,

1. You have the 3.0l engine in your sprinter. This same engine is used on several applications, most of them have higher output than the Sprinter. The Grand Cherokee stock tune pumps our 218hp. The new 3.0l released in a Merc application in Europe is pumping out 265 hp stock, the only difference is a new turbo. Mercedes has their reasons for detuning certain applications and we are not privy to that info.

:thumbup:

2. EGR lowers NOX emissions and increases HC, CO, PM and CO2 emissions...the worst trade-off in the auto industry ever.

Can you provide or point me to documents (studies, white-paper, et al) that verify or substantiate this claim?
:popcorn:

shortshort

Dis member
Curious here... Why wouldn't the vehicle manufacturer have tuned it this way from the factory then? At a minimum, it would make 'marketing' sense...
Because they don't tune for perfection. They tune for dipsh*t regulations like EGR valves, production economics, and a lot of other mitigating factors. Sometimes they are just lazy a-holes. Is this your first vehicle?

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
2. EGR lowers NOX emissions and increases HC, CO, PM and CO2 emissions...the worst trade-off in the auto industry ever.

Can you provide or point me to documents (studies, white-paper, et al) that verify or substantiate this claim?

This is very common knowledge within combustion research. I am sure there are several SAE papers detailing the reasons why EGR changes tailpipe emissions in the manner I stated.

When you add EGR it lowers the oxygen content in the cylinder. With less oxygen the combustion is slowed down a bit and it reduces peak firing temps. NOx is created above 2000 K or there abouts, so lowering this temp reduces NOX formation. With less oxygen available the combustion does not burn completely due to rich/lean zones in the chamber. Rich where the fuel spray is and lean where the mixing has not propagated fully. With incomplete combustion you have increasing particulates, higher HC and CO. CO2 increases with EGR usage as more fuel must be injected to maintain the same power output.

I hope this is helpful for you.

2016/05/03 Added:
This GDE thread is now very long. A condensed version with some select posts is here:

GDE Green Diesel Engineering Tune. What is it?
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47146

To tune, or not to tune: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous engine performance,
Or to take arms against a sea of poor design,
And by opposing end them? To die: to choke on pollution;
No more; and by a tune to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural resources
That exhaust is heir to, 'tis a consummation of dino
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to choke on pollution;
To breathe: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what wheezing may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal spark coil,
Must give us diesel: there's the respect
That makes calamity, so long drive train life;
For who would bear the poor acceleration and loss of time,
The compressor mapping's wrong, the proud design contumely,
The pings of despised rpm, the environmental law's delay,
The insolence of political office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his ride more enjoyable make
With a bare body no frills? who would Audels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary driving life,
But that the dread of something after modification,
The undiscover'd power from whose diesel burns
No traveller returns empty, puzzles the oil well
And makes us rather bear those mpg's we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus environmental conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the blue smoke hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of fumes,
And enterprises of great pith and tuning
With this regard their engines turn awry,
And lose the name of compliance. - Soft you now!
The fair Sprinter! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my tuning sins remember'd.

Apologies to Will.

vic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom