Anyone running BIG tires on a dually? Ncv3 or other wheels?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Not bad! I’m also running 4.11 gearing... hmmm, may need to look into this. I really need a cab over foil as well. :hmmm:

Luckily my cab/chassis came with 16s

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Have you driven that rig in the snow much? Icy roads? I know you’re in CO but CO snow doesn’t have the moisture content and the freeze thaw cycles we have out here in the west. I’ve definitely found smaller and thinner tires tend to grip better in slick conditions.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Hard to get much thinner than a 235 and still have reasonable road grip for braking and handling.

I don’t have the T1N anymore. But between it and my NCV3 (also a Dually and the same size tires) I’ve out about 80k miles of travel on. Which includes skiing 40+ days a year.

I also live in the hills at about 6,500’

Never an issue in the snow.

As promised, here are the pictures.....

After a 2-day weather delay in getting the new larger tires up here to me in the Colorado mountains, they finally arrived and the local tire shop put them on with no issues. There was no modifications needed to the fenders or any other part of the van. Only down side is the spare tire no longer fits under the van, so that goes in the van now. Not a big deal IMO. The van is a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 3500. Tires are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO in size 215/75/15. There is plenty of room to spare in between the dually wheels as well.

Initial reaction was a more comfy ride quality and a heck of a lot more traction on the snowy roads I live on. RPMs are also down a bit. :rad:
I tried to find these same tires for my 2005 Sprinter 3500 but they are not available in the correct load weight rating of 104-106.
They are available innthis same size you purchased of 215 75 15 but they are now called KO2 but
they are only available as 97-100 load which I was told by a reputable tire shop that if the weight load rating of the tire does not match the weight of the Van they will absolutely not install them as they said those tires can blow out on the hwy and obviously cause death or serious injury. So my question here is where did you find these BF Goodrich tires in this size with a tolerable weight rating?
What is the actual load rating listed on the tires if you still have them as I realize this post is 6 years old.

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
15" are not popular anymore, manufacturers are moving away from smaller sizes. Go to 16" and choices expand. There are also other tire choices as good as the K02 and in some instances better. As I move forward with the 4x4 expansion in my green rig, I'm going with Falken Wildpeak, which are getting rave reviews from other. At some point next year I'll be selling the set of six 16" wheels and partially-worn Duratracs.

Thank you westyventures for your input. I realize completely what you are saying but I decided that to just gain an extra inch I will go with larger tires rather than have to invest over $1200 dollars in new lug nuts and new 16 inch rims only to then find out my speed sensors will be completely off the mark and then have to sit there and guess at my speed when going through speed zones.
it was difficult to find an AT tire that would fit the 15 inch rims I already have but I found a decent set at Tire Rack called Kuomo 215/75/15
and the weight rating is correct on these.
ill post some pics here when I get them all put on and some feedback on how well they handle on my 3500.

philtheslayer

Thank you westyventures for your input. I realize completely what you are saying but I decided that to just gain an extra inch I will go with larger tires rather than have to invest over $1200 dollars in new lug nuts and new 16 inch rims only to then find out my speed sensors will be completely off the mark and then have to sit there and guess at my speed when going through speed zones.
it was difficult to find an AT tire that would fit the 15 inch rims I already have but I found a decent set at Tire Rack called Kuomo 215/75/15
and the weight rating is correct on these.
ill post some pics here when I get them all put on and some feedback on how well they handle on my 3500.
Beamship,

Have you got those khumos mounted yet? Really want to see what these look like before I go ahead and get my 140wb 3500 with the same set up.

RBruel2019

Hey guys, this thread has been invaluable in making my decision. I def want to mimic Cole's red 3500. I purchased a 2006 Freightliner sprinter 3500 with 123k on it about a year ago and am in the process of building it out. 2 questions:
1. Cole, curious as to what the tire noise level is on why?
Separate topic but thought I would throw it in here:
1. I also purchased a 411 3500 rear end off a T1N cab chassis (confirmed mine is 411 as well) because I think my rear in is blown. Are there any issues I need to be aware of when making the swap?
2. do these two rear ends have the same parts on them (rotor, e-brake parts, abs sensor, cables, caliper, etc...)
Thx

RBruel2019

Thanks for the response Cole, really appreciate it. Yeah everyone talks really highly of the K02's so should be a good route to take.

robbmoore

wondering what kind of impact to fuel economy (actual, not per the inaccurate mileage on the odometer) folks are seeing with 3500s upgraded to ~ 235/85r16. I'll take an average of the responses and then multiply by, mmmmm, .8 to see where my box would come in :bounce:
Correcting for the bigger diameter tire, my mileage is about 16/17 mpg. I have a 140 WB dually with 235/85r16.

Pgdslo

Date 1/23/2016,

I change from my old & tired 195/70/15 tires, to. new LT215/75/15.

They have a better look and ride, & no rub problems at all.

My Speedo read correctly as I compared with my. GPS.

First pic of old tires, and others of new tires.
Do you have pictures of what the van looks like with keeping the 15” rims and a little larger tires?

Vanguy5

Obviously I was pushing the boundaries of what can be run on a 3500 Sprinter with my 235/85/16s and minor trimming. It was a CLOSE fit but has worked pretty well. I would like to have a little extra clearance all the way around and maybe even go bigger if I can figure out the spacing on the dual wheels. The extra room in the fenders and under the van will be nice.

Here is just a teaser shot. I'll get to work on this hopefully soon.

Did you end up using wheel spacers for the back wheels?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Nope.
Ran that until the tires wore out from mileage.

have had the same size on my current Sprinter for years too.

Vanguy5

Nope.
Ran that until the tires wore out from mileage.

have had the same size on my current Sprinter for years too.
I am running 265/75/16s and the passenger side rear inside wheel is rubbing against leaf spring and I cant figure out what it is? Did you have this issue?

The bushing was cracked so I just replaced bushings and it seems to have gotten a little worse. Any thoughts, ideas or insights?

Vanguy5

Just double checked and the toyos 265/75/16s are a bit wider at 10.5 section width compared to the 235/85/16 K02 at 9.2 section width. Wheel spacer near the leaf springs might be the only way to go without dropping tire size but the thing is its only rubbing on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I added a front sway bar I stole off a 2500 parts van ?. Made a world of difference

Top Bottom