House batteries not charging on shore power

Knit

I need help diagnosing house batteries not charging while plugged in to 120v service. I have a 2013 RS.

All electrical seemed to be working fine until I had the free solar system that was provided by Roadtrek as part of the purchase and was installed by a qualified dealer. It took multiple 200 mile trips before it was installed. It's hard to be impressed with RV service so far.

After the install, the lights down the driver side like over the sink were not working. I figured a wire was disconnected in the electrical panel as all the fuses were ok. Unfortunately, when I was disconnecting the house batteries, I dropped the wrench and shorted the battery. Not one of my better handyman moments. Basically, the short melted the nut holding the negative terminal to the stud. Took me a few hours to fix this as I had to cut the bolt off and I installed a disconnect switch when reconnecting it. Once I did this, sure enough the wire was disconnected on the panel, and it only tooks moments to fix.

A couple of weeks later I discovered that the house batteries were not fully charged. As I leave it plugged into shore power, this was a surprise. In checking it out I have found that the house batteries charge fine when the motor is running, but not through the Tripp Lite converter/inverter. I don't know if the charging stopped after the solar system install or after my clumsy shorting of the battery.

The Tripp Lite documentation mentions that there must be a fuse within 18" of the battery. The Roadtrek documentation shows this to be an 80amp device. Examining the markings on this show it to be a Cole Hersee double breaker, 12v, 80a, studs, type 1, 2" bracket device.

Question 1. Is it possible or likely that the breaker is blown because of my shorting the battery? I am able to measure the same voltage on either leg of the breaker with the Tripp Lite off.

Question 2. Is it possible that I damaged the Tripp Lite converter/inverter? It seems to be working normally when the batteries are charged with the motor, but just doesn't charge the batteries from shore power.

Question 3. Is it possible that the solar install some how messed up the charging function and the problem has nothing to do with my shorting the battery?

Any advice on what I should check would be appreciated.

gte

2008 RS
I need help diagnosing house batteries not charging while plugged in to 120v service. I have a 2013 RS.

All electrical seemed to be working fine until I had the free solar system that was provided by Roadtrek as part of the purchase and was installed by a qualified dealer. It took multiple 200 mile trips before it was installed. It's hard to be impressed with RV service so far.

After the install, the lights down the driver side like over the sink were not working. I figured a wire was disconnected in the electrical panel as all the fuses were ok. Unfortunately, when I was disconnecting the house batteries, I dropped the wrench and shorted the battery. Not one of my better handyman moments. Basically, the short melted the nut holding the negative terminal to the stud. Took me a few hours to fix this as I had to cut the bolt off and I installed a disconnect switch when reconnecting it. Once I did this, sure enough the wire was disconnected on the panel, and it only tooks moments to fix.

A couple of weeks later I discovered that the house batteries were not fully charged. As I leave it plugged into shore power, this was a surprise. In checking it out I have found that the house batteries charge fine when the motor is running, but not through the Tripp Lite converter/inverter. I don't know if the charging stopped after the solar system install or after my clumsy shorting of the battery.

The Tripp Lite documentation mentions that there must be a fuse within 18" of the battery. The Roadtrek documentation shows this to be an 80amp device. Examining the markings on this show it to be a Cole Hersee double breaker, 12v, 80a, studs, type 1, 2" bracket device.

Question 1. Is it possible or likely that the breaker is blown because of my shorting the battery? I am able to measure the same voltage on either leg of the breaker with the Tripp Lite off.

Question 2. Is it possible that I damaged the Tripp Lite converter/inverter? It seems to be working normally when the batteries are charged with the motor, but just doesn't charge the batteries from shore power.

Question 3. Is it possible that the solar install some how messed up the charging function and the problem has nothing to do with my shorting the battery?

Any advice on what I should check would be appreciated.
This may be too simple to be a solution but I'll ask anyway.

When you plug into shore power do you have the power panel switch set to on? It is my understanding that if this switch is off when you plug in shore power the coach batteries will not charge.
There are settings on the Tripp Lite which must be set correctly too. I believe the settings are different for wet cells versus AGM. Could this be an issue?

Knit

Thanks gte for thinking about it. Yes the panel switch for the batteries is enabled and the inverter on when I plug it in. And settings on the converter/inverter are set right for AGM batteries.

BobLLL

Try resetting the converter. If yours is the same as mine, you will find language like this in the Tripp Lite manual troubleshooting section: 'Reset by moving Operating Mode Switch to “DC OFF”. Wait 1 minute and switch to “AUTO/REMOTE.”' This switch can be accessed under the driver's seat, on the converter to the right of the blue wire.

Knit

I have found the problem. It is a loose 120v wire at the service panel which was keeping the Tripp Lite charger/inverter from getting ac power. Kind of tough to charge with 120v when there is no 120v.

The Tripp Lite customer support was super! Talked me through a number of checks before getting to testing 120v service. Thank you Kyle. It sure would be nice if Roadtrek had a similar level of support.

Remaining issue is that solar controller is reporting an error of either voltage too high or too low.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
Is the solar regulator reporting the error when charging from shore power or when the engine is running. I had the same error and it turned out to be the unusually high initial voltage (15v) from the Bosch Euro6 alternator.

It required a firmware change in the solar regulator to overcome.

Kevin

Top Bottom