OM612 injector/high pressure pump replacement

surlyoldbill

My injector pump started leaking on the serpentine belt at first start-up in 30 degree weather. This is a common issue with older vans, the seals getting old less pliable due to temperature.

Dec/15/2013
I purchased my pump used on ebay for $165 with a one year guarantee. New pumps are $1500-1800, rebuilt $700-1000, and the re-seal kit (usually unavailable) is $70.

This job requires Torx bits from T20 to T60, E-Torx sockets or maybe you can get away with 12-point sockets in the right size. You will need a reversing clamp or block of wood to hold radiator away from engine. You will want a can or two of carburetor cleaner available, and rags for cleaning. Below method does not require draining the radiator or fuel lines.

Removal
1. remove the front grill
2. take off headlights
3. remove turbo heat shield
4. remove crossbar (remove hood latch wire through slots in mechanism after crossbar is off)
5. push top of radiator assembly away from engine (I used a reversing clamp), taking care to
not damage anything or loosen hose attachments.
6. remove fan (T60? bit, some sort of bar to prevent engine turning, I used a large pin driver)
7. remove steel fuel line using two wrenches, do not bend line.
8. remove clamp holding feed and return plastic fuel lines (E socket), pull/twist lines out from
pump, protect lines from dirt, I use examination gloves. Unhook electrical connection.
9. remove three bolts (E socket) and pull/twist injector pump from engine. You may have to
pry one side then the other until it starts moving. Be careful of the interface parts that the
pump inserts into on the engine.

Halftime
Clean the area behind and below the pump, you may never have another chance!

Prep the replacement pump. My new used one was not cleaned when I got it, and the electrical connector was damaged either by the vendor or in shipping, I replaced it with the one from my old pump. I placed a new o-ring on the shaft that inserts into the engine, metric 326 I think; I have a metric o-ring multi-kit from harbor freight that had an exact match. Pictures show some possible oil leakage from the engine due to the o-ring on my old pump. Replacement pump was cleaned with carb cleaner and a brush and lint-free cloth. Be VERY careful to protect the fuel line connections and assure that they are clean as well, science lab clean.

Installation
Reverse order of installation
1. match drive wheel angle to slot in engine using old pump as example
2. smear some fresh oil on the o-ring and insert (push/wiggle) pump into engine
3. inspect to make sure it is fully inserted and o-ring is still where it belongs
4. replace three bolts to hold it on; bottom one is difficult, I used a mirror to check position.
The plastic fuel lines and the serpentine belt are slightly in the way and I used a screwdriver
to lever them down a bit while I started the bolt.
5. attach steel fuel line, electrical connection, and feed and return lines. Take care to insert
plastic lines correctly and not at an angle so the square side o-rings stay in place. The
plastic line heads have indents and stops on them that the metal hold down bracket mates
with. I re-used the existing square side o-rings and white rubber washers with no problems.
6. remove blocking/clamp behind radiator assembly, inspect hoses and connections for
loosening.
7. re install hood latch wire and replace crossmember
8. install headlights
9. install grill

Crank to start; this lets air in to the system, and I had to crank for about 20-30 seconds to purge/prime and start the engine. Bubbles in the fuel line went away during a 5 mile drive.

*the manual says to disconnect the battery, I didn't.
one.jpgDsci0215.jpgDsci0219.jpgDsci0218.jpgDsci0217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a good Write-up. :thumbup:

... It looks like I have the same problem with only 70,000 miles. 2006
It may not be the *same* problem. The NAS 2001 - 2003 T1N's have a different high pressure fuel pump from the NAS 2004 - 2006 T1N's. Your style pump has a history of the fasteners loosening and causing a leak.

Before buying any parts try this:

Do an advanced search using "abittenbinder" and maybe "fuel pump loose" key words. Select the T1N section and click show "posts" in the lower left. That should get you the details.

Basically...

Remove the pump.
Check for loose fasteners on the back.
If they are loose, remove one at a time, apply Loctite, and re-install.
Your leak will likely go away.

vic

surlyoldbill

I don't know if I mentioned that it was a pretty easy job. Anyone with the right tools can do it, it does not require any scanning device or specialty tools, nearly as simple as replacing the fuel filter. You don't have to remove the vacuum pump, low pressure pump, or drain any fluids. The trickiest part was removing and replacing the lower bolt, because you can't actually see it while you're doing it (use a mirror). The main thing is to to keep everything CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN when any of the connections are open or the pump removed. If you have the ability, steam cleam the entire area before disconnecting or removing anything.

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
I need to change pressure relief valve, it drive me crazy (noise) I might consider to remove hp pump one day to change it ( don't know, if this is good thing to do it, some folks do this with pump in place, but looks very tight to me) or I just swing the radiator away, good job with your write-up - thanks!

sailquik

Vic/AP/SOB,
OK, I'll bite.......
What exactly is a NAS 2002-2003 Sprinter and how is it different than a NAS 2004-2006 Sprinter?
I KNOW the differences between a 2002-2003 T1N Sprinter with the OM-612 5 cylinder 2.7 liter engine with the vacuum turbo boost level controller (vacuum powered turbo actuator) and a 2004-2006 T1N Sprinter with the OM-647 5 cylinder 2.7 liter elephant trunk engine with the electronic turbocharger actuator.
So, what the heck does "NAS" stand for?
All Sprinters shipped to the USA/Canada (the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) sales region) I also understand, but someone seems to have dropped another acronym (NAS) into the mix to further confuse our new members and readers.
NAS is the common USA acronym for National Aerospace Standard and has nothing what so ever to do with our Sprinters (of any vintage).
Inquiring minds would like to know where this came from, from whom, and their rationale for further confusing the Sprinter acronyms issue.
Roger

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
NAS stands for North American Specification. It is used widely in the UK (and probably European) car industry when referring to any motor vehicle destined for the USA.

As an aside I have worked for a major UK motor manufacturer for nearly 25 years (one that Dennis is well acquainted with) and had not heard the term NAFTA until buying a Sprinter and joining this forum.

Keith.

Vic/AP/SOB,
OK, I'll bite.......
...Roger
Roger,
Sorry for the confusion. NAS is North American Specification. A while ago someone here pointed out that NAFTA doesn't really apply. The Sprinters shipped here are subject to having some of the identical basic equipment (no 4x4 for example) so NAS is probably more descriptive.

The Sprinter shipped over here disassembled is really to avoid the "Chicken Tax". It has nothing to do with the North American Free Trade Agreement because they come from Europe.

So maybe CTS Chicken Tax Sprinter doesn't have the same ring to it?

Anyway. You're correct that we are likely stuck with NAFTA as it has been used for so long.

Just think of it as another acronym to confuse the new people.

:cheers: vic

P.S. - I use 2001 - 2003 because there was a handful of 2001 Sprinters shipped to North America.

Last edited:

mawsea

sprinter guru
Thanks for the write up. I just did this job today at 201,000 miles. It has been leaking for over two years now. The bottom bolt was a bear until I realized the plastic fuel line unclips and can be pushed out of the way.

Roger,
I noticed a while ago, and was reminded today, that the factory Sprinter Data Cards use NAFTA in the descriptions.

So I guess our North American Sprinter reality is that MB used NAFTA even though the acronym really didn't apply as to Sprinter import and the North American Free Trade Agreement.

To me that sets us up for either NAS or NAFTA being a designation for our Sprinters.

Not that it really matters. Just thought that I'd point it out.

:cheers: vic/AP/and an SOB (at times)

Vic/AP/SOB,
OK, I'll bite.......
What exactly is a NAS 2002-2003 Sprinter and how is it different than a NAS 2004-2006 Sprinter?
I KNOW the differences between a 2002-2003 T1N Sprinter with the OM-612 5 cylinder 2.7 liter engine with the vacuum turbo boost level controller (vacuum powered turbo actuator) and a 2004-2006 T1N Sprinter with the OM-647 5 cylinder 2.7 liter elephant trunk engine with the electronic turbocharger actuator.
All Sprinters shipped to the USA/Canada (the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) sales region) I also understand, but someone seems to have dropped another acronym (NAS) into the mix to further confuse our new members and readers.
NAS is the common USA acronym for National Aerospace Standard and has nothing what so ever to do with our Sprinters (of any vintage).
Inquiring minds would like to know where this came from, from whom, and their rationale for further confusing the Sprinter acronyms issue.
Roger

long1pham

I recalled the graph. I didn't recall the numbers

The yellow highlight is 2000 each Sprinters for 2001. (I thought that you were saying "year 2000".)

I *believe* that I read where some of the first Sprinters that showed up in North America were even badged Mercedes. I can't confirm that though.

Back to topic.

vic

View attachment 56352
Yes, thank you for your observation. My 02 Sprinter has Mercedes logo on the grill as well as on the steering wheel. Long

Colorado_Al

Thanks for this writeup!
My 03 started leaking from the High Pressure Pump this morning. :thumbdown:
I am considering buying a seal/gasket replacement kit for $25 from EU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-diese...M-101-454-F01M101454-F01M100275-/171278193685

It looks like it is a big job to recondition, with so many seals. Has anyone here done it? Degree of difficulty?

I've also found a reconditioned pump for $300 from UK. (including core charge of $70).
http://www.commonraildiesels.com/pr...oned-bosch-diesel-fuel-pump-0445010030-p-3599
I might buy that and recondition my old pump to keep as a spare.

Any suggestions or ideas for me would be appreciated!
Thanks!

PS- I e-mailed Dr A to see if he is still rebuilding these pumps. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Last edited:

FL_Sprinter

I did mine yesterday. This is the kit that I bought http://m.ebay.com/itm/CP1-Universal...it-Free-Instructions-/151845861782?nav=SEARCH

It was a fairly easy job. It's a 3-cyl pump, so it has three heads. Make sure you keep everything very clean and remove and reinstall only one head at a time. I used a razor blade and very carefully scraped any rust and crud off of the pump body where each head bolts and my dad sanded each head for me while I was cleaning the pump body. I used brake parts cleaner and compressed air to clean the heads. I put a coat of grease on the seal rings to hold them in place. Put everything back together and torqued the head bolts criss cross pattern to 18 lb-ft. It's been cold here and no leaks. I love my Sprinter.

Colorado_Al

Thanks!
I think I might buy the $300 reconditioned pump and the seal kit also. I'll install the professionally reconditioned one and then rebuild mine and keep it as a spare.
FYI - the kit I listed above is not the correct one.
This is the correct one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Common-rail...rcedes-C270CDI-E270CDI-ML270CDI-/172016853198

FL_Sprinter - do you have any tips on doing the job? Did you replace all seals and o-rings?

Edit-
Found a good guide here:
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105316

Think I will replace all of the parts that I can without removing the cerclips.
Also, the kit I ordered has the 2 o-rings for the main shaft. Going to make sure to replace those as well.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

I contacted Dr A about getting my pump rebuilt by him. It is a good deal and would cost $370 with shipping. It would be about a week turn around time. Unbolt the pump, drain, mail to Dr A, he takes 2 days to refurbish, and mails it back. Unfortunately, I was unable to secure alternate transportation so I was unable to send the pump off to Dr A. I ended up buying the pump from here:
http://www.commonraildiesels.com/pr...oned-bosch-diesel-fuel-pump-0445010030-p-3599
With shipping it came out to £204. Which at the time I bought it was $300. I'm not sure how they could afford to ship so cheaply, but I got the part within the week! The cost includes a £50 core charge, but it would cost nearly that much for me to send it to the UK.
So, I installed the rebuilt pump, following this guide, and it is working great! No leaks! That bottom bolt is a pain in the a$$! But hopefully I won't have to touch it again for a very long time. I also replaced the fuel line o-rings while I was at it.
My serpentine belt was soaked in diesel and was deteriorating from it, so I replaced that as well. I followed this excellent thread to learn how:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5478
Actually much easier to replace the serpentine belt with the radiator pushed out of the way, so I did it before putting everything back to gether from the pump repair.

Since I'm not sending the old pump to UK for refund of the core charge, I bought the seal kit and I will refurbish the old pump myself and keep it as a spare.
Thanks to everyone for their great info!!
Al

Ventucky805

2002 Freightliner OM612 203K
2002 freightliner 140" om612
I believe that I'm having this very same issue. When it was cold started, it blew out a bit of black smoke for only a few seconds. I put it in gear, tried to accellerate and nothing happened for about 5 seconds. then eventually it caught and drove fine. I moved it, parked it, kept it running and checked the engine compartment. nothing was actually leaking. but i smelt fuel, looked and saw that the high pressure fuel pump/injector pump had leaked on the right side just underneath the metal hose. It doesn't look like it's coming from the hose though.

The question I have is: Can you simply pull it off and retighten it? or is that only on the 647 pumps?

Why did my engine blow out a bunch of black smoke for a moment? Is this normal with the leaking pump or a symptom of something else?

Upon caling his number I found that his new number is 864-623-9110

Top Bottom